School friend is left at home alone?

(9 Posts)
auntevil Sat 02-Feb-13 19:09:41

Perhaps broach it with letting the teacher know that your DS is upset at what he heard and thinks that you might leave him.
I know that if I heard a child say that at circle time, procedures would be done immediately to check the voracity of it.

PeppermintCreams Sat 02-Feb-13 19:03:36

I asked DS a couple of questions. I said where does (the other child's) mummy go? DS said I don't know, to the shops? (that's him guessing)

Then I said where were you and X when he said that, and DS said, in circle time with his class. So I'm assuming that the school are aware of it?

But I'm still going to let them know. Just in case they need a kick or some more ammunition to do something.

stormforce10 Sat 02-Feb-13 16:29:50

Yes be careful how you interpret this.

We live in a semi detached house. I once accepted a parcel for the neighbour. DD was sitting on sofa (aged 6) watching TV so I said to her I was going to take parcel to neighbour. Front doors are right next to each other and I was gone less than 3 minutes AND left our front door wide open so I could still here her if she called. Nonetheless I came back to find her quietly sobbing her heart out because she thought I was never coming back sad

DD could easily have said to someone she cried because she was left alone in the house which was technically true but if you heard the full circumstances you'd probably take a different view on it at least I hope you are

sittinginthesun Sat 02-Feb-13 14:08:55

Just mention it to the school. I had to "report" something yesterday which I was in two minds about, but I figured that, I heard or saw something that concerned me, I had to tell the school. The school can then decide whether to act on it.

AuntieStella Sat 02-Feb-13 14:02:43

I think it's likely that the other child has misrepresented the situation somehow (very common: I didn't know my DH was a 'big game hunter' until another parent started asking me for advice on booking a good safari!)

But as the situation, if this is true, is serious, I doubt you'd rest easy in your mind if you did nothing. I agree with the advice that you should have a calm word with the teacher ("DC says that pupil X is regularly left home alone. I hope this isn't the case, but can you be alert to this possibility?"). If the school isn't receptive (for it is hearsay about incidents outside school), then perhaps SS?

auntevil Sat 02-Feb-13 13:54:53

Definitely speak to the teacher.
School can then follow up gently - rather than accusingly.
Often how children describe situations and what the situations are can vary. A child who is upstairs in bed might think they are alone if the parent is downstairs - they might feel scared and alone and cry. Or, the child might genuinely be alone in the house. It's best to get to the bottom of it.

middlesqueezed Sat 02-Feb-13 12:45:29

Completely agree; I'd probably start off with a quiet chat rather than a letter too but you have to say something in case it is true. The school knows the family and should be able to take it from there.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PeppermintCreams Sat 02-Feb-13 12:34:25

My reception aged son has just told me that one of school friends is sometimes left at home alone and cries. (He was actually worried that I was going to leave him home alone like his friend)

I'm fairly sure my son wouldn't make something like this up but I don't know anything about this other child or home life (e.g. teenage siblings) or what is going on.

I've done safeguarding training at work so my "work head" is telling me to report it to the school. So I just want a bit of reassurance that I am doing the right thing. Do I write a letter to the teacher or safeguarding lead?

I am hoping that the children have got the wrong end of the stick!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now