Non-selective independent schools in SE London

(21 Posts)
Mummysaysno Fri 01-Feb-13 11:37:21

Very grateful for suggestions for non-selective independent schools in SE London. Essentially a school welcoming to a Year 3 ADD child possibly also with Dyspraxia. Not interested in going through the usual hothouse 7+ for DS, as he will really struggle.
Willing to drive around 45 minutes to school, with Dulwich being our home. We have time to get him on a wait list as we won't be returning to UK till Sep 2014.
Thanks!!

basildonbond Fri 01-Feb-13 11:53:47

St Dunstan's is the only one that springs to mind - goes through to 18 but a lot leave at sixth form

Mummysaysno Fri 01-Feb-13 12:22:31

Thanks... although I understood St Dunstans still had assessments?
They don't have a wait list, so for this reason had assumed the assessment was the deciding/selective factor in allocating places...or are the assessments not very academic, or as full on as some of the other Schools?
Thanks!

basildonbond Fri 01-Feb-13 14:32:50

from the experience of a friend whose ds was there until recently (and was borderline adhd/dyspraxic) the assessments are set at a fairly low level

Mummysaysno Fri 01-Feb-13 15:46:32

Thanks...I'll phone them and mention my concerns, and see what they say!

Mummysaysno Sun 03-Feb-13 13:46:08

Bump...anyone with any suggestions in Kent? Thx!

justaphase Sun 03-Feb-13 15:48:33

Have you tried Riverston school? I have no personal experience but have heard their pastoral care is excellent and they are good with children with special needs. Also, a friend has two boys at Farringdon school in Chislehurst, one of them has learning delay and they are happy with the school.

NynaevesSister Sun 03-Feb-13 20:34:43

Will you be in Dulwich Village? Dulwich Juniors is amazing primary schools. Or is it that you are after a through school? If not through then try Rosemead or Oakfield if you want to stay local.

St Olaves prep?

Farringtons is Chislehurst is very good. Strong pastoral support. Goes through to 18.
Have heard Riverston is good for SEN but it seems quite low achieving to me.

Mummysaysno Mon 04-Feb-13 01:27:14

Thanks...all very useful as these are schools I'm not so familiar with, as not in our known area, but will contact them/look in to them!

Mummysaysno Mon 04-Feb-13 02:56:32

...and sadly not in catchment for Dulwich Juniors, or that would work a treat!

pinkdelight Mon 04-Feb-13 09:12:23

This is a nice non-hothousey prep not far from Dulwich. Only goes up to 11 though. http://www.vfps.org/index.html
My DS went to the nursery and has friends who stayed on, one of whom is dyslexic, and they are doing well.

pinkdelight Mon 04-Feb-13 09:12:45

Sorry, will make that link work this time!
www.vfps.org/index.html

Mummysaysno Mon 04-Feb-13 09:55:41

Just posted my reply in another thread...was trying to concentrate during kids dinner time...bad idea!! Anyway VFS....I always thought it was Catholic, but I've looked at their site, and will follow up! Very grateful for all replies.

pinkdelight Mon 04-Feb-13 11:00:51

It's one of those where you don't have to be Catholic. Some pupils are, but plenty aren't. Good luck with your search.

hatsybatsy Mon 04-Feb-13 12:19:57

how about colfes in Lee near Blackheath - fairly do-able from Dulwich and like St D's goes through til 18. Great facilities.

There is an additional intake of 20 or so children at 7+ when they open another class.

worth a look?

justaphase Mon 04-Feb-13 14:54:36

Colfe's very focused on sports from what I know so may not be ideal for a child with dispraxia. Worth a look anyway.

ConfusedMummy1 Mon 04-Feb-13 23:01:01

I would suggest Colfe's too. Yes they are known for their sports but it's a good all round school which great facilities. Worth looking at.

Mummysaysno Tue 05-Feb-13 01:18:07

Thanks for feedback on sports...he's not 'sporty' (only 6 right now though!) but does do football every week and tennis which is really good for his coordination. However I would also plan for at least one of his siblings to go to the same school, who is much more energetic and I can see growing in to sports, or needing them to keep him out of trouble, so I wouldn't rule out a sporty school if it also included the pastoral care.
Feeling very positive about our search...and contacting a school a day!

MrsSG Wed 13-Feb-13 23:09:12

St Olaves prep is a wonderful nurturing school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now