Phonics versus Biff, Chip and Kipper

(406 Posts)
Lukethe3 Thu 31-Jan-13 14:09:57

I find it slightly irritating that at DS school he is taught phonics but then sent home to read the old ORT stuff which has tricky words at even the easiest level. Is this purely because the school has no money to buy new books or is there actually an advantage to be taught like this?
I have bought some Songbirds books for DS and these seem to make far more sense to me as they include the sounds that DS is learning.

mrz Tue 05-Feb-13 20:14:50

I really hope yours are answered learnandsay

learnandsay Tue 05-Feb-13 20:11:36

I think it's prayers all round to be honest.

mrz Tue 05-Feb-13 20:10:40

do you offer up a little prayer of gratitude Feenie grin

Feenie Tue 05-Feb-13 20:08:14

That crosses my mind most nights too. wink

Haberdashery Tue 05-Feb-13 19:21:00

It could be worse. You could be her daughter's teacher.

Feenie Tue 05-Feb-13 19:07:24

Every night. And on most threads. Mostly just for the sake of it.

Haberdashery Tue 05-Feb-13 19:01:45

>> It's not an argument.

It may or may not be an argument from your perspective, lands, but I can assure you that from the outside looking in it appears very much as though you are determined to argue with anyone who will play.

learnandsay Tue 05-Feb-13 17:47:12

She hasn't said that she does agree with it. When I asked the question she agreed to something similar but changed it. I was asking a specific question.

mrz Tue 05-Feb-13 17:41:49

Yellow has made a statement of fact that only you seem to disagree with learnandsay

learnandsay Tue 05-Feb-13 17:30:32

According to your theory the teacher as you put it, is assessing children's attainment from the first morning, and so she works out, according to you, what the child can read independently and then sends the appropriate books home.

That's what yellow has said and she either agrees with what she has said or she doesn't. It's not an argument.

simpson England Tue 05-Feb-13 17:28:00

DD started reception on a Thursday (was only there till midday) and was assessed on her first day and came home with a book the following day.

I would assume this is because her surname begins with A and the teacher is doing it alphabetically.

They did not seem to have any phonics books when DS was in reception until about stage 4 when he got some very tatty songbirds books.

mrz Tue 05-Feb-13 17:24:36

According to your theory the teacher as you put it, is assessing children's attainment from the first morning, and so she works out, according to you, what the child can read independently and then sends the appropriate books home.

Actually it is according to government expectations learnandsay. Teachers have to track children from their first day in school to demonstrate progression.

Where your logic is flawed is you are arguing about something you don't understand ...you don't know what teachers are expected to do, you don't know how continuous assessment works and you appear not to understand or listen to what anyone says.

learnandsay Tue 05-Feb-13 17:10:46

The flaw is:

mrz Tue 05-Feb-13 17:07:14

even when your logic is flawed learnandsay?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 05-Feb-13 16:54:23

hmm

learnandsay Tue 05-Feb-13 16:20:52

It's logic. Logic has no frills.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 05-Feb-13 16:12:46

learnandsay - are you this rude in RL?

learnandsay Tue 05-Feb-13 16:07:48

Do you agree or not?

yellowsubmarine53 Tue 05-Feb-13 16:06:48

Is there something about my post that wasn't clear?

learnandsay Tue 05-Feb-13 16:03:00

So you agree that the teacher as you put it, is assessing children's attainment from the first morning, and so she works out, according to you, what the child can read independently and then sends the appropriate books home,

yes?

yellowsubmarine53 Tue 05-Feb-13 15:56:33

Of course a teacher is assessing from the first morning. She or he will use this information and continue to gather information to work out pretty quickly what each child can read independently and give them a particular level to see how they go with it.

It's called ongoing or continuous assessment.

That's pretty much what you've described happened with your dd's teacher, from the information that you've given.

learnandsay Tue 05-Feb-13 12:00:37

yellowsubmarine53 Tue 05-Feb-13 11:56:40

I also haven't said that the teacher is always right. I would say, however, that reception teachers would tend to know more about teaching phonics and assessing what a child can read independently than most parents.

yellowsubmarine53 Tue 05-Feb-13 11:55:31

No, lands, that's not 'my theory'. As I've said several times, it's usually not that helpful for children to have books that they can't read sent home for them to read. I've already said that my dd hated look and say books when she was in the early stages of learning to read.

I also said that teachers will have been assessing children's attainment from the first morning they have the class, not that this will be a thorough assessment.

I also said that there's not usually a particular strategy for sending home look and say books - it's usually that the school doesn't have enough resources or isn't for whatever reason teaching reading in line with current good practice guidelines ie sending home decodable books.

learnandsay Tue 05-Feb-13 09:45:46

Did the school not have any decodable ones at all?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now