Not reading for us, not letting us see/help with homework. YrR

(13 Posts)
FriendlyLadybird Mon 28-Jan-13 15:07:45

Slack mother here -- I don't think I've written more than four comments in a reading diary, ever. I could never think of what to write, so didn't. Neither DS nor DD (now YR) have ever thought much of school reading books so we just do our own thing at home. If you daughter's reading well -- and it sounds as if she is -- I would mainly leave her to it.

You could always give her little quizzes on books you know she has read. My DD adores that, and it's a way to check up on comprehension.

Tiggles Mon 28-Jan-13 15:04:07

If she is reading at that sort of level (Encylopedias etc) it is important to check her comprehension of what she is reading and infering from the text. If she refuses to read to you, then can you just get her to retell you the story and you ask her questions about it. e.g. if story says "Jenny was reading an exciting adventure book. Jack asked her to go to the park. Jenny didn't want to go to the park so she got up grudgingly and went with him" can she infer the answer to "Why did Jenny not want to go to the park?" (Sorry not a great example, but hope you understand what I mean).
I have to be honest when DS1/2 are refusing to do their homework 'because it is boring' (both have ASD and struggle with having to do homework) I have just had to become really firm and tell them that they will get bored-er just sat at the table waiting to do it.

piprabbit Mon 28-Jan-13 14:33:38

TBH I wouldn't worry about her 'homework' because it will be absolutely minimal in YR.

Could she not read her school reading book to her brother (with you discretely listening) and then you could use that as a basis for your comments in her reading diary and give you a feel for how her reading is going.

Or have all three of you sit together sharing one book each. Make it a special time for you to share, rather than focusing on it being schoolwork. Most schools I've come across are happy for parents to write up any books the child has read even if they come from home rather than school.

Tgger Mon 28-Jan-13 14:27:16

Whoops that first bit is the other way round "expect you to hear her read"

Tgger Mon 28-Jan-13 14:26:51

Well, I would make it clear that school expect you to read to her so there isn't a choice. There might be a choice on what she reads and when but not on if she does it or not. And then I would have a consequence if she still refuses. IMO it is invaluable for you and them to hear them read as well as for you to read to them (however fluent they are and DS is fluent like your DD).

I guess this depends on your parenting style though- we have some things that the kids don't get a choice on so they are used to this grin.

If you read together then it can help conversation about school work type things, my theory anyway!

DS chooses all sorts to read to us- his school reading book can be good or a bit token sometimes but he'll read some non-fiction or a chapter/a few pages of a chapter book he is reading. Or sometimes we share- we read a chapter, he reads, works well smile.

TheSecondComing Mon 28-Jan-13 14:19:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tgger Mon 28-Jan-13 14:10:54

DS can be secretive sometimes. One time he got a special reward at school for something he'd written and didn't tell us. I heard from a Mum friend who's son had been working with DS and they'd both got the reward!

I would chill out about not seeing the writing and don't worry about not correcting it, it's slowly slowly catchy monkey at this age re writing improvement. The difference in DS's writing in YR and now in Y1 is huge, it sort of came gradually, just a bit slower than his reading.

I would want to carry on listening to her read though- do you do this? and writing myself in her reading diary. IMO they are too young to write themselves in this, it's a parent/teacher record of what's being read. Sometimes I ask DS for his comments on the books and write that, or just write "Read well".

egdeh Mon 28-Jan-13 14:07:08

My dd was like this in reception, slightly less so now in Y1. As she was doing ok versus all targets, I just left her to it. If you are concerned about what the teacher will think, talk to them. They may prefer you not to correct spelling or grammar anyway - often schools like to let each set of basics bed in before adding next rule.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Mon 28-Jan-13 14:06:24

hello smile
is there anyone else that she might prefer to help her?
dd1 gets given homework on a Thursday, but always choose to do it on a Friday when MIL collects her from school. she's never liked me "interfering" - i think because we share a stubborn streak, which doesn't lend itself well to me teaching her stuff, and potentially needing to correct her.

LemonBreeland Mon 28-Jan-13 14:05:07

I would speak to the teacher and ask the teacher to tell her that an important part of homework is sharing it with you. Also she should not be writing in her own reading record. She is only 5, tell her not to and expect her to listen to you.

Catsdontcare Mon 28-Jan-13 14:02:51

She sounds like she is doing really well for reception so I think you are safe to give her free reign for a while. Maybe if you feign disinterest she may find herself wanting you involved.

learnandsay Mon 28-Jan-13 14:02:03

How did she learn to read in the first place? Is she open to bribery? If she is you could set her challenges and give her rewards.

TheSecondComing Mon 28-Jan-13 13:58:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now