Do ALL UK schools teach French in Reception class???

(31 Posts)
ThePFJ Fri 25-Jan-13 01:04:52

MY 4 year old is a really good reader but is really struggling with the french lessons they are piling onto him at school. He has only just started school this year.
Goggle isn't really helping me find out if French is usually taught this early on, and how much they do.... can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Do you have kids in reception class doing alot of French?
Or is the headmistress at his school going a bit far here?

Don't get me wrong I am happy for him to be introduced to the subject.....

Thanks all xxxxx

Hulababy Fri 25-Jan-13 19:45:06

The state infants I work at doesn't teach French at all; no idea about the feeder juniors.
DD's prep school does French from reception, 1 or 2 lessons a week

Hulababy Fri 25-Jan-13 19:47:34

Actually my school does have a French ASC though

beaufranked Fri 25-Jan-13 20:06:57

DS is at a bilingual primary school with every lesson, lunchtime and assembly done in English and Spanish (bar maths/science). It's great to receive linguistic input from an early age. They process and learn it entirely differently to how adults would and learning it at an early age is much 'easier'! I'm obviously very pro education through language so would say generally it's a positive thing. Most of the world have bilingual education due to the prominence of English, just not maybe the norm in UK.

No French until Y3 at our school.

PenguinBear Fri 25-Jan-13 20:12:44

I am a Reception teacher and we don't teach French as a Seperate subject no. We teach greetings, numbers etc as and when appropriate but nothing like you describe. It's common practice in fee paying schools though!

beaufranked Fri 25-Jan-13 20:33:02

Just to clarify above, ours is a state school

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now