I don't understand why ds (y3) is doing phonics every day

(37 Posts)
Moredofbumsnet Thu 24-Jan-13 13:34:55

Ds is 8y and in y3. He told me yesterday that Mrs Newheadteacher says that everyone incuding y6 has to do phonics every day. Ds has been a freereader for over 2 years now. So why phonics?

Hobbitation Fri 25-Jan-13 13:18:38

I don't really think that what happened in the past is all that important; is it? Surely what matters is that right now, when reading is a key life skill, it is imperative that we teach as many children as is humanely possible to read.

I think it does matter, because the stats are often presented in a "It's all going to hell in a handcart!" manner in the media. This completely demoralises teachers. When in fact it seems that literacy is still improving. Perspective is very much required, and important.

PolkadotCircus Fri 25-Jan-13 13:46:32

I think things are more positive now and it isn't all portrayed as negative. It is however an ongoing process and you can't stand still. Things are improving massively.The fact is during the 70s and 80s things did go downhill.My parents went to school in the 50s and had a far more thorough knowledge of spelling,grammar etc.

I have to say though I went to school all over the place including Scotland and my teacher mother was impressed with how back to basics things were in the late 70s in Scotland,not so when we returned to England. My dad was a maths bod but his knowledge of spelling,grammar etc was above mine(not now)and I was doing an English degree.

Having said that lots of us did phonics pre literacy hour (I did)but it wasn't a national thing and I was looked on as a bit old school.

maizieD Fri 25-Jan-13 14:08:15

I think it does matter, because the stats are often presented in a "It's all going to hell in a handcart!" manner in the media.

Was I saying that we are all going to hell in a handcart? Am I 'the media'? I was merely stating a fact which has more prominence in the public 'eye' than the fact that far more children can't spell.

Why are you trying to turn it into an argument which is irrelevant to this thread?

Moredofbumsnet Fri 25-Jan-13 14:13:06

So what has grammar got to do with phonics? I am totally out of my depth here. All I can find online are games for ks2 where they have to read the sounds like ie.

Hobbitation Fri 25-Jan-13 14:19:37

--Jesus wept--I'm not trying to turn anything into an argument, or be remotely combative, or derail the thread. It was you who mentioned literacy stats, which reminded me of how it is often presented in the media. I just thought it was an interesting point to raise and if anyone thought teaching was better in the past for some reason. I don't think it was, but a lot of people do, especially the education secretary, it seems.

PolkadotCircus Fri 25-Jan-13 14:41:57

Op off the top of my head(I've been out of teaching a while and have flu) say you're going to change a verb from present to past and it ends in a vowel and consonant you double the consonants before adding ed,if the verb ends in a split digraph you take off the e before adding ed........that kind of thing......... sorry my brain is mush ask for Mrz she/he is way more up to date,knowledgable and hopefully flu free.

Also cpg books have books for each year group with a lot of stuff laid out,might be good for reference. If your dc get as much homework as mine do though you may not want to actually do the books on top.

PolkadotCircus Fri 25-Jan-13 14:42:44

Hobbit depends what the past you're talking about is.

bulba2000 Fri 25-Jan-13 14:55:30

I never got the point of phonics. How are they supposed to learn how to love reading for understanding's sake if they're drilled on the pronounciation of each individual word? It reduces the words to meaningless sounds put together rather than the building blocks of an imaginative story.

PolkadotCircus Fri 25-Jan-13 14:59:20

Well my 3 did pretty alright on it-they're reading addicts!

Surely fostering a love of reading goes alongside phonics,you learn the building blocks at school and a whole new world is opened up which goes waaaay beyond school.

How would you teach kids to read?

PolkadotCircus Fri 25-Jan-13 15:04:52

Also they're not drilled but taught how to unlock a code without which many kids struggle.It's great if you've got a photographic memory like my son and can teach yourself to read at 4 but not all kids are like that,far from it.

Also you may be a fantastic reader but a poor speller.Again many kids don't have an amazing memory or even read a lot so I don't get how they can learn to spell really well without a grounding in phonics and spelling rules or whatever they're called these days.

bulba2000 Fri 25-Jan-13 16:06:03

My DS isn't old enough to read yet but I was taught by the look-and-say method, and was largely self-taught anyway - I was reading by 3. I learned how to spell by reading loads and memorising them. My auditory memory is poor so if I learned how to spell by sounding out the words, I'd make a hash of it - I do so now with unfamiliar words. I have to see them and use them in a sentence first.

maizieD Fri 25-Jan-13 16:51:18

--Jesus wept--I'm not trying to turn anything into an argument, or be remotely combative, or derail the thread.

Apologies if I completely misread you sad

I've seen this innocent little statements turn into full scale rows before now..wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now