Reading standard at end of reception

(18 Posts)
HilaryClinton Tue 22-Jan-13 10:49:30

For a lot of very dull reasons I am teaching DD1 reading/writing and sums. She would be in R in UK. We are mostly following ORT and we are moving on level 3-4. What level would you expect for a bright child by end of this school year?

Also, because of the situation my younger twins sit around the table whilst we read / do phonics. They have got quite good at blending sounds now even though they don't recognise many letters yet. Is this good or bad, I think I'd like to encourage the skill but feel nervous about how best to proceed - is 3.3 too young to be taught to read.

learnandsay Tue 22-Jan-13 10:56:07

Three isn't too young, no. My daughter was was reading at that age. For home education I'm not sure that the ORT levels are all that helpful because they're supposed to be used as a classroom aide. I would use real books as a guide. That's what I am doing.

birdseed Tue 22-Jan-13 11:27:42

How about jolly phonics songs and actions for your twins if you want to involve them. They do that in some nuseries at that age. Though it sounds like your daughter will be at a different level to them already, so why not just let them pick up what they do by just being there and concentrate on her and let them listen or draw or play as they wish.

MrsMelons Tue 22-Jan-13 11:32:46

3 isn't too young (as long as they are doing it because they are interested and want to).

At this age I would definitely go for something like Jolly Phonics to make sure that they know their phonic sounds as this is what most schools use. Concentrate on the pure sounds (not letter names for now) and they will be fine.

There are other methods of course but its best not to get them too confused before school.

DS1's school used something similar to Jolly Phonics and DS2 uses Read, Write, Inc. I am no expert but Read, Write, Inc seems the easiest to follow from a parents ponit of view.

DS1 by age 3 seemed to be able to just read once he knew his phonics so never actually learnt to read as such so it is all new to us with DS2 and we are finding the RRI really easy and considering he did not know all his letters in September when starting school he is doing well to be able to read in a term.

MrsMelons Tue 22-Jan-13 11:33:02

BTW I am no expert at all, just sharing what works for us.

simpson Tue 22-Jan-13 12:16:12

DD used jolly phonics when in nursery (last year)...

She is now in reception and doing well...(she could read at a basic level at age 3 btw, so I don't think 3 is too young if * they * want to do it)...

I would make sure your child reads other books and not just ORT as they can be quite limiting...

Don't know the average level for the end of reception but it sounds like your DD is doing well.

MrsMelons Tue 22-Jan-13 15:43:59

If you look at the reading chest info it gives the expected levels for each age group here but I don't really think there is an average level as such, when DS1 finished YR there were children on pink band still and some on white level so a huge difference. Now they are in Y2 there is still a fair difference but not as much.

maizieD Tue 22-Jan-13 16:05:52

Have a look at the 'Teeny Reading Seeds' site. Lots of excellent advice and free resources.

www.phonicsinternational.com/trs.html

learnandsay Thu 24-Jan-13 09:59:02

Surely as the schemes reach their end there can't be as great a difference in the variety of books the children are reading because at the end of a scheme the books run out. But, presumably, some children have moved onto non-scheme reading books. And, from what I've heard, some mothers are looking for reputable copies of Beowulf and The Odyssey.

I think it sounds great - they are picking up some early reading skills. DD is nearly six/yr 1 and I have noticed DS (just 4) is starting just recognise quite a few letters, is great at blending when DD has sounded them out, and his comprehension is pretty good. I am not trying to teach him anything on purpose but it's a great bonus for him IMHO to be starting now as he is interested.

Meglet Thu 24-Jan-13 10:18:11

DS ended reception on green.

But, yes, levels vary. Some Y1's are still on red, some are on lime.

At the end of reception DD was reading fairly well on the good side of average, not sure how they link up to ORT level;s but she was on red books for home and yellow in school, since then she has had some dark blue ones and some yellow ones? Either way, I can see she is getting better and has made lots of progress - she's halfway through yr1 now and is able to read words I thought she would struggle with and school seem to be assessing her regularly and encouraging her so I am happy.

Dromedary Thu 24-Jan-13 10:55:18

I'd say that she's well ahead of average at the moment - plenty of children don't reach that level by the end of R.

fatfloosie Thu 24-Jan-13 11:23:00

Hi OP. My nearly 5 DD is currently on ORT Level 4 (blue book band) after starting Reception as a non-reader (although I'd thought she was on the cusp of reading for about a year). She has whizzed up the levels but is now finding this level a bit harder so I'm expecting she will end the year on Level 5 or possibly 6.

Her August born cousin was on Level 5 ORT (green book band) at the end of Reception.

Both girls are bright but not spectacularly so - ie top set but not working miles ahead of expectations for age.

At DD's nursery they did lots of listening for the sounds in words and breaking them down and blending them back together - all done verbally without introducing the written letters at all - so what your twins are doing sounds fine to me.

Tgger Thu 24-Jan-13 12:12:37

It's one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions. There isn't really an average. Some are still on the very easy books, and some are on high levels- gold/white/lime which is basically fluent reading.

Have you got some good phonics books as well as ORT?

Just fyi in nursery (3-4) they do "letters and listening", with the emphasis on hearing the sounds rather than writing/reading them, although they offer a bit of that too, so it sounds like your twins are just fine with copying their big sis.

HilaryClinton Thu 24-Jan-13 20:06:41

Thank you all so much.

Both girls are bright but not spectacularly so - ie top set but not working miles ahead of expectations for age I think this would best descibe my DD too.

We moved 12 months ago and she started KG here in August so has had five months of immersion German. It is very tiring for her, and then doing reading as well in the afternoons is hard for her. I have the Jolly Phonics teachers handbook and do read online how best to teach- (there are some really good lesson plans online. So thanks to all the proper teachers for those!)

We do read from other books too: a current favourite is the Usborne Farmyard Tales.

Thanks also for the links, the Reading Chest looks good (but unfortunately not available to us). One of my sisters sends me her sons books as they are finished with, so we have a supply.

Tgger Thu 24-Jan-13 20:16:36

Has anyone mentioned Oxford Owl website on this thread? A favourite of MNetters (well some of us).

Here is the phonics page for 4-5 year olds www.oxfordowl.co.uk/Library/Index/?AgeGroup=3&BookType=Phonics

If those are too easy change the age to 5-6

you can read quite a lot online/try books out before you buy.

HilaryClinton Thu 24-Jan-13 20:20:01

yy. We actually have some of these and have just read 'Tadpoles'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now