Catholic Independent Primary Schools - commutable from North London, Highgate

(9 Posts)
MissSpanishFork Mon 28-Jan-13 14:53:04

Hello everyone. We are about to return to London after 9 years of travelling. We have an 11yr old daughter and an 8 yr old son. We would very much appreciate any advice on where to search for good schooling and housing. Ideally we would like to live out of London and commute to Kings Cross / Euston for work, daily. Tks.

eners Sun 27-Jan-13 22:30:28

thank you both for the advice.. will get our name down at St Anthony's and a few others.. Fingers crossed.

Best

CruCru Wed 23-Jan-13 16:41:21

Well I'd recommend putting yourself to St Anthony's now, if you can. My DS is 16 mo - you probably have some time but not loads. They'll start interviewing you in a year or so I should think.

GregorSamsa Wed 23-Jan-13 10:27:29

The only other catholic primary schools I hear about are St Joan of Arc in Highbury, Our Lady of Muswell in Muswell Hill and St Peter in chains/St Gilda's in Crouch End. All are good, I'd be happy to send a child to any of them.

The Catholic (state) primary schools will have admissions criteria on their websites, which will generally involve a priest's letter confirming mass attendance, a baptism certificate, and some form of distance criterion as a tie-breaker.

St Joseph's tends to be fully subscribed at Reception level, but places do open up quite quickly as people move away etc. It's not a fashionable (ie. predominantly middle-class) school, but in some ways all the better for having a good mix of families. Very friendly and unsnobby. smile

eners Tue 22-Jan-13 23:04:52

Thanks you CruCru, Gregor and Insanity for your thoughts and time.

Hi CruCru - our son is 2 1/2 years old. We're a little lost as to where to send him pre 7. St Mary's, the natural feeder to it, is full.

Hi Gregor - thanks for that tip. We shall look at St Joseph's and see if we have a realistic chance of getting in (if they have catchment requirements etc)

In terms of state schools - have any of you heard anything about St theresa's in East Finchley and Our Lady of Lourdes Finchley Central?

thanks again.

Insanitywithlittlepeople Tue 22-Jan-13 10:31:18

The Cavdendish in Camden but only takes sibling boys. Not sure about other options

GregorSamsa Tue 22-Jan-13 08:43:14

St Anthony's is considered a desirable school in a Hampstead-prep-school kind of way. Vita Et Pax I don't think attracts the same intake.

All the other Catholic prep schools are for girls, or only take boys up to 7 or so.

If you want private schools, there are lots to choose from (albeit not many catholic ones). If you want Catholic, there is an outstanding state primary school on your doorstep in the form of St Joseph;s Highgate . I know quite a few people who could easily have gone private at junior level who sent their kids there instead and have been very happy - it's a lovely school.

CruCru Tue 22-Jan-13 08:42:38

Hi, I only know St Anthony's. A colleague is very happy with it and on her recommendation, I've put DS down (they take some non Catholics). It gets the boys into great secondaries but isn't quite as high pressured as some other pre preps / preps in the area. It's also the only school where putting your name on the waiting list doesn't incur a £50 / £75 / £100 fee.

They take a fee when it gets to interview stage. How old is your boy?

eners Mon 21-Jan-13 15:03:42

Hi there: 2 questions that we need your help with:

1. Does anyone have access to a list of Catholic INDEPENDENT primary schools in North London?

2. Does anyone have some pearls of wisdom on Vita et Pax Sschool, Southgate; and also St Anthony's, Hampstead. We are interested in both for our son, particularly Vita - any thoughts?

Many thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now