Stop Schools Cheating Please

(453 Posts)
twiggles Sun 20-Jan-13 11:17:02

Whatever your child is like, some primary schools and nurseries are pretending children start off at the low end, so they can pretend to inspectors of private and state schools that the child has developed only because of their teaching. If your child's advanced , some schools in rich areas take it out on the child. They won't bother giving the child attention, because the child's advanced, so they let the child coast downwards. But they give reports in writing about the child that pretend the child has started off at a low point in development and then got much better because of the teaching at the school....when the fact is the child was able to read or write when the child started at the school and as the school is giving the child little attention, the child has coasted downwards. Tha's what many schools do so they can pretend they've developed everything in the child, they want all children to be the same standard, like a photocopier. Poor children. Some teachers admit they're cheating and don't take the reports seriously and write them to impress inspectors. This is happending all over the show and I can't understand why inspectors are allowing them to get away with it. If parents start grading teachers in the school every three months the teachers won't be able to hide what's going on to the inspectors and teachers who are pretending might stop. Teachers that aren't giving inspectors the facts need to be stopped...they're not giving children an honest education.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Tue 29-Jan-13 19:46:25

Thanks pointy.. That has cheered me up!!!

This thread is fascinatingly funny!!!

marcopront Wed 30-Jan-13 13:23:09

I have no worries about the gradings that parents would give me, the school I work in has parents in commenting about teachers regularly (private international school) and I know how they feel about me.

But I will repeat my question.

Twiggles at the risk of repeating myself please can you explain to me, how will you as parent, grading me a teacher stop me from giving your child the wrong assessment. I am only a teacher and don't have the benefit of your wisdom.

I do however as a parent know I could not grade my daughter's teachers.

41notTrendy Wed 30-Jan-13 20:21:39

Still going?
Right, before I try a different track with Twiggles, I'm throwing this in. Twigs. Parents evenings. A form of consultation/discussion, even <whispers> a way for parents to decide on whether they think the teacher is doing a decent job. And maybe, even, perhaps, a parent may talk to the teacher about any concerns, so the teacher understands that child better. End result? Everyone feels good. And miniature versions of this happen practically every day at drop off/pick up time. So in a way, what you're suggesting actually happens all the time.
So now, here's a question. Could you give us an idea of what questions you would ask in this grading?

pointythings Wed 30-Jan-13 20:55:38

<throws tumbleweed into the thread>

<waits>

clam Wed 30-Jan-13 21:05:02

Parents are cheating and lying!! <stamps foot>
They sign their child's reading log to say they have heard them read when they haven't! Some parents admit they're cheating and don't take the logs seriously and write them to impress teachers. This is happening all over the show and I can't understand why the authorities are allowing them to get away with it. If teachers start grading parents in the school every three months the parents won't be able to hide what's going on to the inspectors, so parents who are pretending might stop. Parents who aren't giving inspectors the facts need to be stopped...they're not giving children an honest education.

pointythings Wed 30-Jan-13 21:06:44

clam nice try, but you lack that air of random repetitive bonkersness that the OP so effectively uses in her communications...

Still, have some thanks for the effort.

clam Wed 30-Jan-13 21:35:23

I can do repetitive bonkersness!!

Nah, can't be bothered. Thanks for the flowers though. grin

Euphemia Wed 30-Jan-13 22:16:12

Right, I've got the answer.

When someone becomes a student teacher, they are given a Parent Mentor (PM). The PM will accompany the student to all lectures and tutorials, thereby acquiring pedagogical knowledge.

On school placements, as well as having the opportunity to see a range of different schools, the PM will offer the excellent service of grading both the class teacher and the student teacher. The PM will also complete the student's placement report.

Upon graduation, the NQT will be placed in his/her PM's child's class. This will be advantageous to all: the rapport between the NQT and the PM will already be established, and the PM's child will also benefit greatly from having the ever-present critical eye of his/parent overseeing lessons.

Assessment of the NQT will be thrice daily, with copies to the SLT, local authority, Ofsted and Michael Gove.

The school will be required to demonstrate on a twice weekly basis that it has responded to each and every point raised by the PM, showing evidence, not just a ticky-boxy proforma.

Ofsted will fine the school £500 for every point unaddressed and £1000 for every serious misdemeanor on the part of the NQT (being unable to locate a child's glove at the end of the day; deducting five minutes of a child's Golden Time because s/he refused despite three times of asking to take the bin off his/her head, etc.).

The PM will on occasion accompany the NQT home, in order to ensure that s/he is maintaining high moral standing e.g., no consumption of alcohol in public, no wearing of a onesie to Asda, no demonstrations in public of affection to partners to whom s/he is not married.

Maybe THEN teachers will stop cheating and lying about it, eh?!

pointythings Wed 30-Jan-13 22:23:40

<rolls on floor laughing>

<picks self up>

<offers Euphemia wine for best post of the thread so far>

BRILLIANT!!!

<refuses to apologise for shouting>

Euphemia Wed 30-Jan-13 22:27:08

But I'm serious. hmm

Euphemia Wed 30-Jan-13 22:27:23

grin

Level3at6months Wed 30-Jan-13 22:28:52

Hahahahaha! Don't let Gove read that...!

Euphemia Wed 30-Jan-13 22:34:07

I teach in Scotland, Gove has no power over me. grin

marcopront Thu 31-Jan-13 01:32:17

Are parents only going to grade primary teachers?

I'm safe then. I teach in secondary. Does that mean I can cheat?

Euphemia Thu 31-Jan-13 06:39:55

No - someone will be along shortly with a plan for you. wink

Feenie Thu 31-Jan-13 06:57:22

Brilliant, Euphemia! Cheered me up this morning grin

ShipwreckedAndComatose Thu 31-Jan-13 17:10:50

grin

Mocking from afar!!

I'm also secondary and expect some sort of grade performance criteria to be embedded into that.
Something along the lines of the NQT having to achieve A* grades (no value added nonsense here) with ALL students in an elitist exam that everyone will sit but grades cannot show inflation because then the exam will not demonstrate rigor.....

middlesqueezed Thu 31-Jan-13 17:31:46

Is this thread really still going? Will it be a record if it makes it into February? Have I got time to make some popcorn?

pointythings Thu 31-Jan-13 18:52:22

Shipwrecked is your spelling of rigor (as in mortis) as opposed to rigour (as in Gove) intentional, or a Freudian slip? smile.

Me, I'm going to keep coming back until
1) The OP comes up with some evidence,
2) The thread hits 1000 posts, or
3) It's time to get started on my Christmas shopping.

mrz Thu 31-Jan-13 18:59:44

I don't think twiggles will be around that long

ShipwreckedAndComatose Thu 31-Jan-13 19:54:29

Ha! Freudian all the way grin

ShipwreckedAndComatose Thu 31-Jan-13 19:55:48

Teachers are too lazy to spell properly btw.

Parents should be allowed to stand at the back of the class checking their spelling, that would sort it out.

pointythings Thu 31-Jan-13 20:14:39

The majority of the parents I know - not so much, Shipwrecked grin. And I'd do it, being a terrible pedant, but I have this thing called a life. Unlike the OP, or the idiot Gove.

Anyway, I think your Freudian slip was pure genius and very topical. wine

twiggles Fri 08-Mar-13 11:08:00

It's a pity there are so many teachers on this thread, who appear biased towards keeping the same old system going, afraid of feedback from the majority - parents and their children. That suggests they are afraid of what will happen if the true situation comes to light. The only way to stop teachers who are cheating from doing it is to make them accountable to the parents of the children they teach. Grading each school isn't enough. Every single teacher needs to be graded by parents, every term. Teachers who are cheating might stop if they knew they couldn't get away with it.

I'm new to this thread (I know - how did I miss it?) Twiggles, can I just check, did you just say, 'Teachers need to be graded by parents'? How on earth would that work and why would you want it?

To return to your original point, my Ds is able. His teacher differentiates work for him and his similarly fabled peers. Every parents evening I am shown a graph with the expected average attainment for his age group and his actual attainment. I am encouraged to look through his books, wherein lies the evidence. Every single time, he has progressed further along those graphs. He's bright - he might get those levels on his own, but I seriously doubt it!

His teacher wants him to get level 3 in his SATS, so the support teacher takes him and a small group of similar ability children, once a week, and works on writing skills with them. His writing has come on hugely during this time.

One boy, one school - hardly a serious study - but it does seem to refute your claims. (And mine are evidence-based.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now