Salcombe prep school - Southgate

(9 Posts)
Minimimimi Sun 10-Mar-13 13:29:10

Hi Pikle,

We are moving to Southgate in a few weeks and are also considering Salcombe Lower school. How old is your little one?

We went to the open day at Vita et Pax this weekend and was rather impressed with the school, children and overall facilities. Only frustration is that you have to bring in your own packed lunch.
They're down the road from Salcombe Lower school and although it is a catholic school, they accept children of different faiths.

With regards to Bulba's comments- if you request the Salcombe prospectus- it will list out where the kids end up going after their 11+.

bulba2000 Fri 25-Jan-13 15:55:55

Heard some brilliant things about the local secondary schools. Pickle - you'll be wanting to check which local prep schools do the best job for preparing the kids for 11+ entry in the schools you want your child to go to.

LePetitPrince Fri 25-Jan-13 15:04:51

Bulba - yes I think international mobility plays a part, plus a few who move out to the country.

Lyonsdown takes boys to the end of year 2 only, with boys moving on to local mixed/single sex schools like Lochinver, Habs and Belmont, among others.

bulba2000 Fri 25-Jan-13 14:36:16

Is Lyonsdown the school where boys leave at Y2? That seems to be the nature of schools around here - lots seem to stop at the end of Y2 for either boys or girls. My niece started in Y3 at Salcombe with a couple of other new kids but most of her class have been together since Reception.

The rolls at schools probably vary from year to year - I attended the meeting at Walker Primary when they were explaining about expanding the state school classes as the population in North London is booming - but then you get a lot of people moving out of the area to go overseas from time to time as well. Guess it's not as stable a population as in other areas.

LePetitPrince Fri 25-Jan-13 13:41:00

Hi,
Not sure where you are moving to exactly.. Re: Salcombe, I would ask about the percentage of children who stay all the way from Reception to Y6. I know a few people whose kids have left to go elsewhere.

Do you have a boy or girl? You should also look at the lovely Lyonsdown if you have a girl.

pickle346 Fri 25-Jan-13 10:59:21

Thank you, that is really helpful!

bulba2000 Thu 24-Jan-13 17:41:34

I live near Southgate so I have a couple of friends' kids and my niece who attends (all Upper School though). The classes are tiiiny and the kids get a lot of individual attention from the teachers - a reason why my sister moved her daughter from state - though I think the Lower School is getting more and more popular so you might want to check how large the classes are there. From the couple of times I've seen it's very friendly and there's always staff on hand to talk about homework and after-school classes etc.

Whirliwig72 Wed 23-Jan-13 13:53:54

Bump

pickle346 Fri 18-Jan-13 13:00:37

Hi,
Does anyone have any views on above school at all? We are moving to the area, so would like to gauge a few opinions! It is the lower school we would be interested in.

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now