Need advice on SATS KS1 please

(12 Posts)
Feenie Wed 16-Jan-13 17:58:29

It makes not a jot of difference (to anything) whether he is a 2b or a 2a. In fact the level will formally be reported as "2" anyway.

The first bit is right - the second bit isn't. Maths, Reading and Writing if assessed at a level 2 will be given a fine grading of a, b or c.

The rest of the advice is spot on - the teacher assessment in Y2 is no different at all to the teacher assessment in Y1, Y3, Y4 or Y5 - except that a very small part of the assessment is a test, and that legally it must be reported to parents.

'Prepping' is just helping your child with their normal schoolwork - there's no reason why you shouldn't do this at any time, and no particular reason why you should do it in Y2.

But it doesn't matter. He is a where he is. Why does he need to be doing better? He is 6. Honestly. It may be one thing to be worried at GCSE to get him from a D to a C, but not at this point.
If he wasn't working hard, was bored, was not being challenged then worry. But you don't seem to have problems with him per se so please just let him be. This makes me sad

lljkk Wed 16-Jan-13 16:30:44

I would do nothing, OP. Beyond what you already want to be doing to encourage his learning.
I have the only child on MN who was reported as 2b in KS2 SATs only to be promoted to much higher levels within a few months. hmm. To his year-3 teacher's apparent surprise, but just goes to prove that the children are indeed formally reassessed regularly (once a term, at least), to make sure they are working in right groups. Probably just goes to show what a load of old cobblers levels are, too.

redskyatnight Wed 16-Jan-13 16:26:52

It makes not a jot of difference (to anything) whether he is a 2b or a 2a. In fact the level will formally be reported as "2" anyway.

As I said up thread the best things you can do are read regularly (both you to him and him to you), talk about things that interest him/you, play board games. Also do cooking (great for weighs and measures), visit different places. ANd of course do any homework the school suggests. You could ask his teacher if she can suggest anything, but from you previous description it sounds as though he is doing just fine smile

MammaMo Wed 16-Jan-13 16:12:27

Really??
I know that other parents prep their kids, i'm worried I will be letting my DS down if I don't help.
Also I have been told he is a 2 possibly a 2A...in other words I would need to do extra work with him in order to achieve a 2A, what would you do in this situation?

auntpetunia Wed 16-Jan-13 14:59:56

What did you think you need to do and why? Just let him do the best he can do, the results are onlyy for the schools benefits.

redskyatnight Wed 16-Jan-13 14:43:26

The SATS paper forms just one part of his grade at the end of KS1 which will be mainly based on teacher assessment. There is absolutely no point in working for the SATs paper. Regular reading, talking to your child, playing board games etc are all worthwhile smile

hoodoo12345 Wed 16-Jan-13 14:13:18

My DS will be sitting them too this year, i don't plan on doing anything more than i already do.
My son won't even know he is doing them thankfully,the teachers just tell them they are doing some "special work."

seeker Wed 16-Jan-13 14:00:04

You don't have to so any extra work at home at all- who told you you should? It sounds as if he's doing fantastically- leave it at that!

Seeline Wed 16-Jan-13 13:58:34

Don't do anything at home!!
The SATS are purely for the school and government - not for your DS. In anycase, the KS1 tests are not really 'tests' at all. Neither my DCs were awaare that tehy had even had them so don't make them seem more importnt than they are and put your DS under any uneccessary stress. They are all teacher-assessed and at my DCs school they are treated as having some special games to do.

Why do you need to? He'll do as well as he does. Is this end of year 2? If so my DS also end of August will be doing the same and I honestly haven't given it a moments thought.

MammaMo Wed 16-Jan-13 13:55:26

Hi,

My DS (August baby) will sit the KS1 SATS at the end of Easter.
I sometimes struggle to get his attention for more than 10 minutes, he is very active and gets distracted easily at home. At school he is totally different, very keen to learn, makes the extra effort, takes on all the challenges given to him, great attitude, his teacher could not praise him enough at our resent parents evening (maybe he is too worn out by the time he gets home to make the effort with me?)

I know in order for him to do the best he can regarding the SATS I need to do some work with him at home, is it best to just work through some previous sat papers at home? how much time should we spend on it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now