Withdrawing child from SATS

(147 Posts)
Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 09:34:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

teacherwith2kids Thu 10-Jan-13 19:37:59

Tantrums, not everywhere. My DS's school was focused on teaching the Year 6s a broad and interesting curriculum, and inspiring them to do the best that they possibly could in SATs while doing the absolute minimum of practice tests / 'teaching to the test' (I think they did 3 practice papers over the year to familiarise them with the test foirmat). Large majority got 5s and above, good % of 6s in Maths.

cumbrialass Thu 10-Jan-13 19:39:10

It most certainly does not happen "everywhere"! Children are expected to make ( in my school) at least 2 sub levels progress every year, whatever their starting point. So a child at 4c at the beginning of year 6 needs to be 4a by the end. A child at 5c at the beginning of the year has to be a 5A, EVERY child has to make progress, not just those aiming for level 4

No, not all. There are some excellent schools that support every child to reaching their full potential.
They seem to be the exception rather than the rule around here, but that's just my opinion of one area.

happynewmind Thu 10-Jan-13 19:41:15

Is it TRUE you can with hold a child not achieving level 3 from sats.

My dc is well below that and school deal terribly with tests. Its a high scoring state school and they have a tendency to write scores on board, make a massive deal, mention it for weeks and go on and on about it to a point the kids are physically sick with worry. They cried in the playground too and that was just normal in year year 4 and 5 testing.

StuffezLaBouche Thu 10-Jan-13 19:41:16

If this is really the case and he's having a miserable, boring time, then making your feelings known to the Governing Body etc. etc. is fine. There ARE shit schools out there - I've taught in one and the attitudes of some people there were appalling. BUT....
Many, many people who work in schools bust their guts day in, day out, even the shit ones... "punishing" the school seems petulant and unfair. Significant money has been spent on your son's education.

cumbrialass Thu 10-Jan-13 19:41:54

And as teacherwith2kids says, practising papers only helps with technique, it doesn't teach what you need to know, good teaching does that.

PS, schools are increasingly judged on the number of level 6 children they have, level 4 is soooo last yeargrin

And I think I worded that all wrong. I didn't mean every single school. I suppose I just meant this wasn't a unique problem to the ops school but like I said that's just my experience of my local area.

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 19:42:55

AThingInYourLife Thu 10-Jan-13 19:43:09

It seems entirely fair to me to withdraw a child you consider to have been failed by the school from testing that will benefit the school.

mrz Thu 10-Jan-13 19:45:55

"full on practice papers every day for a year"

There aren't that many practice papers in existence shock

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 19:46:11

happynewmind Thu 10-Jan-13 19:47:32

My dc was level 2b/2c in year 2.

Now at different school due to house move with no ta support in year 5 and is 1a/2c.

No progress at all since tested in March 2012.

[bangs head on wall]

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 19:49:18

happynewmind Thu 10-Jan-13 19:50:33

it is terrible Sats.
when I raised the issue no school I had ever worked in had made this level of fuss she said it was needed...

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 19:52:42

You wouldn't think there were that many papers in existence would you?

Unfortunately, my ds1 lovely for 4 years primary turned into a SATS factory and he did one paper every day. And bought them home as well.

happynewmind Thu 10-Jan-13 19:54:36

I am guessing that's their hope sats...

Certainly they took no notice of the suggestions made by the consultant when we were refered to actually help.

if you put the sum down straight forward she can tell you write away but a lot of it is how its worded.

happynewmind Thu 10-Jan-13 19:56:24

Right not write.

There's no space for four miles and I don't drive.

I can't home ed either.

mrz Thu 10-Jan-13 19:58:09

There aren't that many papers in existence. The tests were introduced in 1995 (19 tests in total) so unless the school does the same test 10 times they are going to struggle to do one per day, or even one per week.
For the new SPAG test there is only one sample paper in existence

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 20:01:53

happynewmind Thu 10-Jan-13 20:06:18

Sorry for hijacking blush.

ReallyTired Thu 10-Jan-13 20:08:37

What are your objection to your son doing SATs. Surely its no worse than making him do the eleven plus. The grim part is all the revision which year sixes waste a term doing.

Is your son anxious or is it you who is anxious. I think if you are casual in your approach to year 6 SATs then your osn will not be stressed.

My son has been stressed out about SATs since september. He has been refered to CAMS by our GP because its affecting is general health. I don't think there are any easy solutions.

Our first choice of secondary retests all the children come september. They also do CATs tests. Often summer born children underachive at primary and secondary schools know an August born child with a 4a may well be brighter than a september born with a 5c. Most schools allow transfer between sets if there is a mistake.

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 20:11:53

lljkk Thu 10-Jan-13 20:12:52

I have lots of minor complaints about DC school but I can't say that I ever perceived any problems with the school academics; I feel all DC have made good progress towards reaching their academic potential. If anything, DS1 was pushed much harder in yr5 than he is now in yr8! So agree, not "all schools are like this". It's a bog standard satisfactory-rated school with extremely average results.

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 20:13:20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now