Withdrawing child from SATS

(147 Posts)
Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 09:34:51

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the following:

1) Is it possible to withdraw your child from Yr6 Sats?

2) Would there be any impact on your child going to their chosen school if you did this i.e. offer withdrawn or child being in the wrong sets when they got there.

Floggingmolly Thu 10-Jan-13 19:01:05

You seem so sure his SAT's results would be spectacular...
Has he sat any other tests before? Some clever children don't perform well in tests so his results may not be as jaw droppingly amazing as you predict.
In my dd's Year 6 (last year), 87% of the class got level 5 and above - 12% of these were level 6.

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 19:05:06

No, not spectacular, Floggingmolly. Above average. He's always performed well in tests and would achieve expectations in Sats. Not sure where the 'Your child isn't clever - ner ner!' is relevant but I should have expected it on here, I suppose.

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 19:06:09

Wish he went to your DD's Primary though, it sounds like an atmosphere he would thrive in.

AThingInYourLife Thu 10-Jan-13 19:10:40

"Such a good idea to let your child know that it's OK to not do stuff you don't feel like doing. A very helpful lesson for the future."

I agree.

He's about the right age to learn to think critically about things he is "supposed" to do.

Just because something is statutory doesn't mean it is worth doing.

A bright kid will understand that.

seeker Thu 10-Jan-13 19:11:34

Statutory means that the school is obliged to do them.

And if you take your child out on the day of the tests for no good reason then you could technically be prosecuted for an unauthorised absence. But this is in practice unlikely to happen. What will happen that your child will miss out on a chance to show what he can do, will spend ages explaining tonhis little friends why, which will be tedious for him. He will also beencouraged to think that he can duck out of things he doesn't want to do- that rules don't apply to him. The school will have one less result, which is unlikely to make a difference to them. If it's the only good one, OFSTED won't be impressed bynig, if it isn't, one less won't make much of a difference. And you will, frankly, look a bit of a dick. Just let him do them. Clever kids tend to enjoy them anyway.

AThingInYourLife Thu 10-Jan-13 19:16:25

"What will happen that your child will miss out on a chance to show what he can do"

I've heard it all now.

Crappy, gradgrindian, bureaucratic testing done entirely for the purposes of creating (useless) data about schools so that (worthless) comparisons can be made is a wonderful opportunity for the poor fuckers who have their education destroyed so they can do them?

grin

Ha ha ha!

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 19:17:35

Exactly, AThing.

Sats are to test the school. The school haven't contributed a great deal to whatever level he gets. They could have contributed a great deal more but incompetence and bad management has prevented them doing that over the last couple of years. So a peevish little part of me wants to make sure they don't get the benefit of his levels.

Yes, I'm pissed off. Yes, it probably looks childish and needlessly obstructive. I don't care tbh. Not wanting to out myself means I can't tell you the half of it, or what I've tried to do to improve the situation, or post under my usual name.

So, if you decide to opt out of the SATS, how will that work?
What I mean is, most schools do some form of practice for these tests in year 6. From what I can gather it ranges from full on practice papers every day for a year to a little bit of practice just before and all the variables in between. So, will you tell your DS not to do the practice? Will you tell the school he isn't allowed to do it?
And if so, what will he do, what do you want him to do?

FWIW, my DCs are at grammar schools, the SATS results had no bearing on the sets as they took CAT tests in the first week.
This varies from school to school obviously so if this is something you are seriously considering, can you not find out from the secondary school how and when they set?

Floggingmolly Thu 10-Jan-13 19:19:36

I don't doubt he's clever, Satsquash, just pointing out that there is a ceiling on just how well you can actually do. Even if he's incandescently bright, it won't be apparent as moderately clever children can also achieve the highest grade possible.

seeker Thu 10-Jan-13 19:22:16

Athing- I only said that because in my experience bright kids enjoy a chance to get good scores in things. I was looking at it from the perspective of a 10 year old in a class of other 10 year olds all doing the tests.

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 19:23:22

I haven't raised a child who feels the need to chat to his friends about Sats, seeker. That would be a little odd. Nor do we encourage him to define his identity by Sats levels, as we know 'what he can do' and it isn't piss easy tests endlessly rehearsed for two terms.

AThingInYourLife Thu 10-Jan-13 19:24:17

"full on practice papers every day for a year"

shock

That is appalling.

How can that be countenanced by anybody working in education?

Jesus H Christ.

Why don't they just shut down the schools and provide mass childcare with constant testing?

It would be cheaper, more honest, and would achieve approximately the same thing.

seeker Thu 10-Jan-13 19:24:31

And it really won't make any difference to the school at all.

StuffezLaBouche Thu 10-Jan-13 19:24:45

Have to say, as a year six teacher who works her arse off to ensure the pupils are enjoying their year BUT are correctly prepared for their tests, I would be gutted and angry if a parent did this. I would feel that my efforts into this child's education, progress and happiness had been entirely wasted.
You are doing this ENTIRELY to punish the school. If your child is merely "above average as you claim, then of course his teacher is differentiating for him. Just as s/he will be for the other above average pupils. Or do you think there is a whole group of pupils in the class who are left floundering?

And can I assure you that schools really don't smugly proclaim individual pupils' results, taking credit and blowing their own trumpets. They simply feel proud of their pupils and bloody hard work they've put in over the years.

So what will he do whilst they are practicing?
Does he also want to opt out, have you spoken to him about it?

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 19:26:21

Tantrums, doing practice papers wouldn't be any less tedious than 90% of the work they do already. Or he could watch DVDs. They're good at sticking one of those on.

seeker Thu 10-Jan-13 19:28:44

grin

OK. Your son is a superior being above the low concerns of his peers.

Go ahead. As I said, it won't make any difference to the school. But if it makes you feel better.....

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 19:29:29

Stuffez, there's a whole group of pupils in that class left bored and ignored because they are on target for their levels but are quiet and well behaved.
I do know that isn't the case in every school and i wish it wasn't the case in DS's. But it is and I'm angry about it.

Oh I'm not disputing that, it's more the logistics I was interested in. I mean would you want him to not take part in the practice? And would he want to be the one not taking part?
I don't know, I would think simply not turning up is easy enough, well not easy but YKWIM, it's the preparation that might cause more problems.

Either he has to do endless practice for a test he won't take or be seperate from the rest of the class.
I'd find it difficult to decide between those 2.

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 19:31:03

No, he's a bright 10 yr old caught up in a shit school, seeker. Go ahead and be snide about it if you like <shrug>

StuffezLaBouche Thu 10-Jan-13 19:31:28

Then quite simply there MUST have been an better school within, say, 15 miles. You've clearly felt this way for more than just this academic year. If a child of mine was let down so massively, I would make every possible effort to get them to a different school. My parents did that for me and I went to school 23 miles away. Long, long day but worth it.

And squash tbh, the comment about the on target children being ignored? Sadly this happens everywhere. In ds1 year 6 class they were totally focused on getting everyone to a level 4. If you were on or above that, it was a very boring year.

lljkk Netherlands Thu 10-Jan-13 19:35:04

practicalities of refusing Sats but telling whatever secondary school his predicted levels up to then.

I didn't tell DS school predicted levels, I didn't have any such info. I had written qualitative assessment from his year 4 & yr6 reports, and my own suggestions. Maybe the secondary got back in touch with his state primary for some specifics (private school was hopelessly disorganised).

But I think it's very sad you've had such a disappointing experience with your DS primary. Do you think secondary will be any better? I can't help but wonder if you are being unrealistic.

seeker Thu 10-Jan-13 19:35:09

I'm not being snide about him. I'm just amused by the assumption that children don't talk about their SATs results to each other.

Out of interest, why is he still at the school?

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 19:36:58

All full within 10 miles, Stuffez. It's also been a gradual downturn, interspersed with false promises and the odd extension activity tossed his way when we say we're not happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now