Withdrawing child from SATS

(147 Posts)
Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 09:34:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 11:06:56

learnandsay Thu 10-Jan-13 11:09:11

OP, I can see why you've got the hump with sats and schools leaving children bored while they revise work endlessly. But I'm not sure that your "ha ha you're not going to use my son's sat scores as a trophy, you do nothing gits!" is going to solve your problem.

You seem to have two problems, first the boredom and secondly what you consider to be the unwarranted waiving of the sats results.

If you cooked up a scheme to keep him out of school during the exams it would only solve the results waiving problem. It wouldn't do anything about the boredom. I'd consider the boredom to be a far bigger problem than the waiving. When I was young we used to get taught that if someone was doing something silly that we didn't like we should just ignore them. I think the waiving should be ignored.

On the other hand the boredom is something that you should talk to the school about. Boredom at school is wrong.

Personally I think you need to have a re-think.

tiggytape Thu 10-Jan-13 11:10:33

Plenty of children from prep schools go to grammar and don't do SATS at all so I assume grammar schools are more geared up to this than most (although I would still check - especially if you think he'd find it upsetting to be put in a middle or bottom group for the first terms until assessed).

I suppose you also have to consider (depending on where you live and what the competition for grammar places is like - not everyone who passes the 11+ in our area gets a grammar place by any means) how the alternative comp he may be allocated sets children. Arguably, if he wasn't in a selective school, being put in top sets straight away would be more important than it would be at grammar school. If the comps use SATS as their starting point then you may decide it is better for him to have a decent set of results to prevent any problems there than it is to challenge the governors at his current school.

The unauthorised absence would also be on his file and seen by any future school. This wouldn't stop him getting a place though.

How does your son feel about missing the tests? Lots of clever children quite relish the idea of doing very well in these tests and get competitive about attaining high marks. Others enjoy the treats planned for test week or just don't like being made to feel different (explaining to classmates why he missed the 'very important tests' that the school have been building up to for months). If he'd be upset by it, again, it doesn't seem worth labouring the point with the school.

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 11:11:42

tiggytape Thu 10-Jan-13 11:16:51

I guess Satsquash it boils down to the fact that all this would achieve is to cause a blip in the schools results and make them very cross with you and your son.
However, I very much doubt it would change anything that happens at the school - certainly not for your son who will be leaving by then and probably not for anyone following behind. If they already know your concerns and make empty promises, then this isn't likely to do much except antagonise them and potentially making your DS's last term at school very unpleasant.

It may or may not have a knock on effect for secondary schooling depending on whether you need to appeal for a grammar school place at some stage or are allocated a school that relies on SATS results for setting or for Year 9 targets.

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 11:17:31

learnandsay Thu 10-Jan-13 11:20:49

Yes, I know. It's a common problem. It seems as though there are at least two types of teacher. One understands differentiation for more able pupils and how to achieve it and the other type does not. Most teachers should (and probably do) realise that they should differentiate but some don't know how. And so what they and their superiors do is endlessly procrastinate, promise, dither and do nothing until the end of the year arrives.

My solution is to buy work materials from WH Smith and have the child work on those instead on the kitchen table if necessary, but if the teacher is willing, then in school instead.

seeker Thu 10-Jan-13 11:24:02

If his SATs scores will be the only good ones the school gets, then they won't get away with "waving them about triumphantly". One 665 set isn't gong to cut any ice with OFSTED if all the others are low 4s and downwards. If they aren't the only good ones then the school must be doing something right somewhere.
Whichever it is, nobody will be well served by withdrawing him- least of all him.

seeker Thu 10-Jan-13 11:27:11

" The Grammar isn't selective in an 11+ way, but has a religious aspect as well as catchment area admissions procedure."

Then it's not a grammar!

Bear in mind that some schools set/stream from day 1 based on SATs, and it's often very difficult to get out if the wrong set/stream once you're in it.

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 11:28:20

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 11:29:53

notnagging Thu 10-Jan-13 11:30:17

Sat squash. It sounds as though you are withdrawing him from Sats to punish the school? Not because you don't believe in them. So you don't mind all the testing that comes with applying for grammar school & the work the school will do for that. If he gets into grammar school who will you say is responsible for that? I understand your frustrations at the school but don't see the point in your actions when you say you want him to go to grammar?

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 11:42:49

tiggytape Thu 10-Jan-13 13:26:19

The last thing to possibly consider is who stands to suffer if you go ahead with this.
It is unlikely it will have an adverse long-term affect on your DS's secondary schooling - especially if he's going somewhere that does their own testing.

However, with a Year 6 comprising of numbers barely into double figures (I think that's what you meant), your son failing his SATS (as it will be classed for statistical purposes) means nearly 10% or Year 6 will be deemed to have failed.

This could have a huge impact for his current Year 6 teacher who may or may not be the person you judge to have failed him. Year 6 SATS results that fall wildly below accepted or expected standards are going to be seen as her responsibility. You may not wish her to be the one who is blamed but she'll be the one taking the flack.
And it could have a negative impact on the whole school depending on how the rest do and the numbers entered. If you are personally responsible for messing up 10% of their SATS marks, they are likely to take it very badly indeed and your son's last terms in Year 6 may be far from happy if he's the one who is blamed. Especially if it has other consequences and other parents also feel you are responsible for those.
This may not be a problem if you have no younger children or friends with younger children at the school. Or if he is going to a secondary school that has no connection to his primary.

Most people are not in the position (in a year group of 60 or 90) where they can spectacularly mess up a whole years' SATS results singlehandedly but you are and the knock on effects could be a lot greater than merely getting the governors to buck their ideas up.

BooksandaCuppa Thu 10-Jan-13 13:45:38

I like tiggy's advice and would second that you think carefully about whether it's the yr 6 teacher you personally want to 'punish' (for want of a better word).

In a very small school, each individual child's results are crucial (and the league tables now include cohorts as low as 6 pupils - previously 12).

This could well trigger an Ofsted inspection (as it did in ds's school when the yr 6 above him had two new 'low attaining' pupils who came along in the middle of yr 6 and made a huge dent in their usually excellent - and deserved in this case - results).

Sounds like that what you might be after achieving; but please think carefully about it.

What does ds think about not getting any test results?

lljkk Thu 10-Jan-13 13:46:07

Send child to a private school without entry exam for all of y6-y7 , a school that doesn't do SATs. Send back to state school for y8. No SATs require or assessments will happen. Write a letter to school with your best guess what ability group he might be. Easy Peasy (worked for me).

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 14:00:33

seeker Thu 10-Jan-13 14:10:10

Or just let him do the SATs. So much easier.

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 14:14:50

cumbrialass Thu 10-Jan-13 18:14:45

The Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 allows the council to issue Penalty Notices in cases of unauthorised absences from school, and as such it supplements the existing sanctions under Section 444 (1), Education Act 1996. Penalty Notices are considered appropriate in the following circumstances: truancy, parentally-condoned absences, unauthorised holidays in term-time, excluded pupils found in a public place during school hours, and persistent late arrival for school.

For a Penalty Notice to be issued there must be a minimum of ten sessions/ five full days of unauthorised absence by the pupil in any one term. In cases other than unauthorised holiday absence, the liable parent or carer will receive a formal warning of the possibility of a Penalty Notice being issued and given 15 school days to effect an improvement in the child’s overall school attendance.

From 1 September 2012, the penalty notice will increase from £50 to £60 for those who pay within 28 days and from £100 to £120 for those who pay within 42 days

So,given you would need to keep your son out for 2 weeks ( as SATs can now be taken over a 2 week period if absent) then you potentially have a £500 fine. Only you can decide whether it's worth it.

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 18:43:59

mrz Thu 10-Jan-13 18:51:09

This year schools can administer the tests to children who are absent during the test week at a later date.

cumbrialass Thu 10-Jan-13 18:51:40

The fine IS for unauthorised holiday absence! It is also, as far as I am aware, for each parent and each session, so is possibly over £2000 in total. If it's worth that much to you, then go ahead. I'm sure the school will cope!

mrz Thu 10-Jan-13 18:52:53

5madthings Thu 10-Jan-13 10:04:15
Actually i removed my ds1 ftom yr 6 sats. They arent compulsory but schools dont like it as it goes down as a no score/fail.

Do you know what statutory assessment means - 5madthings? Unless your child attends an academy or independent school (or is working below level 3) the tests are compulsory.

Satsquash Thu 10-Jan-13 18:58:17

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now