Dyslexia - achievable/doable IEP targets

(37 Posts)
auntevil Mon 31-Dec-12 17:54:46

DS1 in Y5 - has been on an IEP since pre-school, but for dyspraxia.
Dyslexia has been confirmed by a behavioural optometrist. There are plenty of ideas, but I need to be realistic as to what school are likely to keep up and do well.
DS is not statemented as he is above average academically, and no apparent social difficulties.
His class is huge and full of challenges for the 1 teacher and 1 TA.
The main area for concern is reading, secondary is spelling. His reading is the lowest level of all subjects. He has just been referred for glasses with coloured lenses as this had already been assessed and trialled in school.
What else can I realistically expect school to help with?
What could go in his IEP to progress his reading/spelling?
TIA

Inclusionist Thu 03-Jan-13 14:42:06

No, indeed. I agree paragraph by paragraph may not break the information down enough. Depends how bad the problem is.

auntevil Thu 03-Jan-13 15:42:29

That's the thing maizieD and mrz - no-one as yet has said why he misses the words/lines. I am at a loss tbh
At first I thought it was because he moves when he reads (post rotary - maybe he loses his place?) So I tried at home where he sat reading when leaning against me, so I supported him and the book, so neither moved. He still skipped text.
He skips 3 times as many words/lines without colour overlay than with (tested on random non sensical pretty much CVC, CCVC, CVVCC - not much harder) , but he still skips.
DS says the letters get muddled, and without anyone telling him, he does not know if he's skipped anything.
I've noticed that he starts to skip from 3rd line down more - so small chunking should work better.
DS says in comprehension tests, he reads, reads and reads again, then reads for each question - so a strategy in itself
Phonetically, he can de-code. Pronunciation can be awry on new words, such as yesterday Dynamo (Dynamo Kiev) was more Di than Die - n a m o, but then that isn't so unreasonable when you think of dynasty, dyspraxia and dyslexia grin
DS2 uses the skip/mumble a word when he doesn't know it - but also can de-code when reminded. He is Y3 and also 13 level, but there is a big difference between the 2 (yes, I know you shouldn't compare). DS2 can easily answer questions about the text. His skipping is laziness, brought about by the desire to get through it quickly.

Inclusionist Thu 03-Jan-13 15:48:52

Have you had a WISC auntevil?

auntevil Thu 03-Jan-13 16:07:11

That's the IQ type test? No, but I've never thought that there was a problem there.
What could it highlight?
Who performs it?

Inclusionist Thu 03-Jan-13 16:45:01

An EP would have to do it. It gives a working memory score and a processing speed as well as IQ. It is useful to demonstrate the discrepancy between WM, processing speed and IQ.

Where there is a large discrepancy it idicates that a child needs arrangements to support thier memory and processing to access their academic potential. (You already know this about your DS, but a WISC would be the piece of paper that proved it).

auntevil Thu 03-Jan-13 16:59:27

Apart from private EP - this would go back to how unlikely it would be for DS to see the EP.
Always worry how much notice is given to external professional advice. I have been lucky so far in that mostly ours have been NHS reports, using OTs, physios and SALTs known to school.

Inclusionist Thu 03-Jan-13 17:13:12

It is probably not worth the £££ it would cost for a private EP just to confirm suspicions you already have. It would be interesting info though.

smee Thu 03-Jan-13 18:53:39

With the word/ line skipping, I'd guess his lenses will make a massive difference. I sat and watched when my Ds was tested. He had to read random words in a paragraph for a minute. With the coloured filter he read 98% of the words with only a couple of mistakes. Without the filter (same words) he read only 73% and made lots of mistakes including missing several whole lines. I was amazed how much it was affecting him, so maybe your DS is similar.

smee Thu 03-Jan-13 19:05:15

sorry, I did see that you say he still does it, but it has made a massive difference to my DS, so still thought it worth saying!

auntevil Thu 03-Jan-13 19:09:20

You are right smee , it can be quite shocking to see the difference that something so simple makes.

mrsbaffled Sat 05-Jan-13 22:45:21

Sorry, not read the whole thread properly, but if he is mssing small words and lines, then that is an eye tracking problem, which could be fixed by vision therapy. Has the BO recommended a course of VT? If so - do consider trying it! It fixed my DS's tracking problems x

auntevil Sun 06-Jan-13 10:59:36

BO says tracking is fine! OT says that he has post rotary nystagmus.
Plan of action looks to be trying to get EP involved first. I think all my powers of persuasion need to come out for this one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now