dd 'bored' with reading scheme books.

(62 Posts)
We3bunniesOfOrientAre Fri 28-Dec-12 20:24:37

She is yr 1; on orange level and has been for a term. She seems to have worked through all the yawn magic key ones and most of the other story books, latest offerings was a book on leeches and meals. She says there are no other interesting books there which she hasn't read and she doesn't want to read them but she has to take two home each week. When she is bored reading then she just sucks her thumb and rolls around, then says she feels sick etc etc... Over the holidays, as she has no reading books she has chosen to read some rainbow fairy books I know it is the same story 80 times but at least she is engaged she reads a few pages, then I read back to her for however long she read to me. We have the same agreement for school books and works well for us.

How can I approach this when we return to school. I understand if the teacher doesn't want to put her up a level, but they aren't about to come and listen to her read and I don't want to battle with her every night to read books she has no interest in. I don't think it will be a problem when she goes up a level as there will be new books, but she won't go up until she reads more. <we have seemingly inexhaustable supply - 80/90 rainbow fairy books as that was all dd1 would read/listen to for about a year before discovering Dahl/Walliams, etc we won't run out of them in a hurry>

learnandsay Wed 16-Jan-13 12:36:55

She said I was going to fill the reading diary up too quickly. Back then the problem was that she hadn't done any assessment of my daughter's reading and the books were too simple. She still hasn't done an assessment (as far as I know) but what she said was that she'd give my daughter a random assortment of books and then move her up a couple of levels. (Maybe that's how she does her assessments.) The books have been pretty random, it's true. But pretty much anything is better than what we were getting. This term we've been getting Miff, Chops and Chipper books again, boo. Luckily my daughter loves them. I don't know who wrote the damn things but I'd love to get my hands on them.

survivingwinter Wed 16-Jan-13 12:43:36

grin glad your dd likes them learnandsay! Some of those Magic Key stories are seriously bizarre I'm sure there must have been drugs involved during the writing of them!

The secret room
Where they found the dolls house and the key reminded me of the haunting in Connecticut grin expected some truly sinister goings on.

We've never had the first one, maybe will strike lucky when ds learns to read. Have just read the one where they damage the roof of the play house and go back in time to see the dolls house and their house when they had just been built and the children who lived there. I didn't realise that the toy house was a replica of their house, although I do remember them moving from their terrace house. I reckon they wouldn't be so bad if they came in order rather than some random selection based on what's in the box when your 5yr old happens to change their books. Maybe I should train ds to borrow to order!

learnandsay Wed 16-Jan-13 13:16:39

Girls, the reading books aren't for you, you know!

Runoutofideas Wed 16-Jan-13 13:30:54

OP - my dd2 is yr 1 and reading turquoise level too. She really enjoys these Jill tomlinson books She can read pages alternately with me, the stories are suitable for 5 yr olds and they have occasional pictures too, but they are chapter books so seem grown up. Just wanted to recommend.

I have to I'm very happy I no longer have to hear the words " the magic key began to glow" William and hamid were slightly more enjoyable than biff and chip

Thank you run she is currently fairy and egypt obsessed, just this morning she was saying that she thinks she can now read a rainbow fairy book at night while she tries to get to sleep poor lamb doesn't realise that almost every night she is asleep before I've finished reading her story . I don't think she'll be on this level for long, she is reading it better than orange, and, more importantly, she is enjoying reading again.

simpson Wed 16-Jan-13 17:24:01

Birthdaybunnies - that was my argument for DS when he was in yr1. He jumped straight into the magic key books but had not read the books leading up to it or the first magic key book so did not know what was happening...

DD has read the ones building up to magic key adventures so she is fine...although she is getting loads of non fiction ATM...

I was also told not to put anything else in DD's reading diary (as it would fill up too quickly -just to put her school books in)...

OscarPistoriusBitontheside Thu 17-Jan-13 00:04:31

Progress! Admittedly it was a school error that it ds moved up.

Someone had mixed the books up and ds brought home a level 24/white band book. Which we read, he stumbled over 1 word, we discussed the book and wrote the appropriate comments and sent it back. He was moved to gold/level 21 today. He's so pleased with himself and so exited to be finally allowed to bring more interesting books home from school! grin

learnandsay Thu 17-Jan-13 10:03:50

Ah, the method is to bring home the wrong reading books! I knew there would be a system somewhere.

OscarPistoriusBitontheside Thu 17-Jan-13 15:38:17

Yep, turns out this is the way forward! Who knew? I sound like one of "those" parents, I'm aware of that, but I just want to do what is right for DS1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now