3+ 4+ 5+ 7+ support thread 2013

(317 Posts)
mumteacher Wed 19-Dec-12 22:26:41

I have had a number of messages asking if I have any spaces in my classes. I'm really sorry but I have been at full capacity for some time now.

However, I do appreciate that this is a very stressful time of year for parents who have children sitting these private school assessments in January 2013. So, I'm hoping that by setting up this support group thread I can help by answering some questions you have about these assessments.

Hopefully this thread will also contain some useful insight from the experiences of parents who have already been through the process.

JellyBubbles Mon 21-Apr-14 22:12:05

Hi MumTeacher,

Would you have any advice for our DS who we'd like to sit the 3+ for St Johns, Reddiford and possibly St Martins?
He is a bright boy, his speech and vocabulary are amazing and he's pretty clued up. Not the sportiest person but interested in a wide range of things. My only real concern is that he takes a while to 'warm up' in new settings and with new ppl - he's not the kind of boy who will charge in and grab toys etc. But if he was spoken to , he'd be able to demonstrate just how bright he.
I wonder which school might suit him more too?

Any thought and tops will be much appreciated

divday Sun 02-Mar-14 21:38:07

Hi Mumsteacher,

I desperately looking for Tutor going child year after next and unfortunately I am new to this website and haven't come across your profile to send a personal message. I appreciate you are maxed out but I am more than happy to wait. Could you please help? My email address is divday@gmail.com

aparna123 Tue 18-Feb-14 20:58:52

Can any one help me as to which schools are the best near Pinner for boys? We may be shifting this sept..Any advise on St Johns?

adas8495 Wed 12-Feb-14 14:33:48

Hi mumteacher ,

My dd will be sitting for St. Helens 3+ assesment next year . Please can you advice .

Thanks

BobAli1 Wed 29-Jan-14 00:37:35

Blissbird please pm me if you are still looking for a tutor

orthodoc Sat 25-Jan-14 10:47:52

mumteacher...I have sent you a pm. Will be grateful if you can have a look please.
Thanks

mbat2 Thu 23-Jan-14 11:47:53

Thanks for all the post from mumteacher reg 7+ ...gathered a lot of info .Unfortunately My dd didn't get through 7+ for habs 1st round...

gemsept Tue 14-Jan-14 17:04:14

Hi, my daughter has just been asked back for a 2nd assessment at channing. She hasn't been tutored and I really want to Know if you have any idea what they look for at these assessments. Huge thanks

Blissbird Thu 09-Jan-14 20:52:29

Hi mumteacher

I am looking for a tutor for my 5 year old son. He is at a Hampstead school and needs support but not to get through the 7+, just to turn on his enthusiasm for learning again. In a way that is kind and friendly with lots of encouragement which is the opposite of what he is experiencing at school at the moment . Can you recommend anyone? Thank you in anticipation of your reply

Spekes67 Wed 01-Jan-14 21:35:58

Hi mumteacher
I read this thread today and I have a DD who will be sitting for 5+ assessment any advice on 5+ would really appreciate .

MummyZu Sun 15-Dec-13 01:07:42

Sorry I meant a thread from a year ago not this particular thread!

MummyZu Sun 15-Dec-13 01:06:04

Hi mumteacher I read this thread from a year ago and I have a DD who will be sitting the 4+ assessment at NLCS this January and wondered if you could help prepare her even with just a few private tutorial sessions?

mumteacher Sat 14-Dec-13 16:58:55

Goldie14 - yes in the maths front inc problem solving.

Story writing leave till a little later although you can start with writing interesting sentences with adjectives to describe every noun in the sentence. If you insist on every noun in every sentence being described then when it does come to story writing under time pressure hopefully there will be a few! ;)

I always cover some VR skills.

mumteacher Sat 14-Dec-13 16:51:08
doureine Sat 14-Dec-13 14:21:18

Hi Mumteacher!

Thank you sooo much for this very positive advice.

My daughter is sitting the 5+ habs in Jan and I have been tutoring her myself but I need more guidance on what I need to focus on and what sort of eustions they could ask her etc. Shes July born and a bit immature but very bright! Your help will be much appreciated if you could email me. hdoureine@aol.com

Thanks again smile

Dou

Goldie14 Thu 05-Dec-13 11:51:43

Horsemadmum,

It's great that your dd is so intelligent!
Same sort of advice was given when I had no idea about 11+ exams �� I had six months to prepare my child. Thank God I didn't listen and believed the hype!
My son did get offers but not bursary because out of 300 applicants they can only offer 6 applicants :-(

Goldie14 Thu 05-Dec-13 11:31:01

Hello
Mumteacher!
Thank you for posting this :-)

My son is in Y1 and I am a little stressed about 7+ having older child go through 11+ last year.

Do you think I can prepare my little one with past papers and general multiplication, division and times tables?
Also should I train him to write essays?
Some schools stopped non verbal, should I still buy Bond book?

lovinglifex Fri 08-Nov-13 20:24:35
lovinglifex Fri 08-Nov-13 20:23:55

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/1905744-3-4-5-7-support-thread-2014

subzerotemp Fri 08-Nov-13 09:32:03

Thank you for the tips mumteacher!

newbiemum80 Wed 06-Nov-13 21:10:57

Useful and scary! Thanks again.

mumteacher Wed 06-Nov-13 18:08:36

Apologies for the delayed reply.

LEH work in accordance with the national curriculum for the junior school. They say level 3 but I have my 7+ Students pitch higher.

Story writing - go bk over this thread I've put story writing hill which is very useful for structure. Make sure a variety of story writing is practiced eg day at the beach, holidays, letter writing, postcard, space, storm...

Maths problems - start with one step eg a bus has 3 passengers at the next 2 get off how many are still on the bus? My students will be taught to solve two step problems by Jan.

Bond books 7-8 is a great place to be. The first 10 tests from 8-9 if the child is willing/able.

newbiemum80 Mon 04-Nov-13 06:55:53

Hi mumteacher,

This is a great post - thank you! Can I ask please for 7+ entry at CLSG, JAGS and LEH, do you know what ballpark mark on the bond 6-7 maths, english and VR means you'll be in with a chance of passing the written assessments?

I've read on this thread that the bond papers are useful and on others that bond 7-8 is the right level. Do you know if that's the case please? confused If so, what's the level on 7-8? shock

Many thanks!

subzerotemp Mon 28-Oct-13 14:25:46

Hello mumteacher, I'm in the same position as Swimmingmum - also applying for LEH, Jan 2014 exams.
Please could you let me have some tips on maths and English comprehension & story writing too. Thanks very much for your help!

peppa2529 Tue 22-Oct-13 21:44:07

Hello Mumteacher! I would so love to speak with you should you find a few moments to spare - I appreciate how busy you are at this time of year! Your advice is invaluable and extremely generous, and if you could possibly send me a way to contact you privately, I would be very grateful. Kind regards!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now