3+ 4+ 5+ 7+ support thread 2013

(320 Posts)
mumteacher Wed 19-Dec-12 22:26:41

I have had a number of messages asking if I have any spaces in my classes. I'm really sorry but I have been at full capacity for some time now.

However, I do appreciate that this is a very stressful time of year for parents who have children sitting these private school assessments in January 2013. So, I'm hoping that by setting up this support group thread I can help by answering some questions you have about these assessments.

Hopefully this thread will also contain some useful insight from the experiences of parents who have already been through the process.

mumteacher Tue 05-Feb-13 22:46:08

4+ results out for north London schools. How did you all do?

jmf294 Tue 05-Feb-13 23:07:20

My daughter got a 3+ place at St Helens which I am delighted with.
She has never been to nursery as we have a nanny so I wasn't sure how she would do compared to those girls who go to nurseries.
We had chocolate cupcakes to celebrate.

mumteacher Tue 05-Feb-13 23:25:45

That's amazing well done you and your very clever little girl.

Sounds like my kind of celebration - I love choc!

Turniphead1 Wed 06-Feb-13 00:16:58

Mum teacher - how your 7+ results gone? How many did you teach & how many offers did they get?

Turniphead1 Wed 06-Feb-13 00:18:18

Appallingl grammar! On my behalf.

mumteacher Wed 06-Feb-13 10:22:50

80% of my students that took 7+ got into their first choice of school.
100% into their second choice.
Out of the 10 girls sitting Nlcs, 9 got through to ronud2 and 7 secured a place.
8 sat Habs 7 through to round 2 and 5 secured a place.

(If a child secures a place at CC but the parents wanted Habs or another school that's not a 'tick' for me! I measure my own success on a child securing a place at their first choice of school).

Turniphead1 hope things worked out for you.

mumteacher Wed 06-Feb-13 10:27:05

Just read the last few posts and I can see how it can look like I'm 'looking for work'!

I'm just replying to turnipheads post.

Just want to add that I do not know turnip head irl.

I am almost at full capacity and I'm not looking for more work x

stikmatix Wed 06-Feb-13 10:57:50

Hope everyone got the news they wanted yesterday!

Good news for us - DD3 got a 4+ place at St Helen's so will join DD1 and DD2 who are already there. V happy about that as she is quite shy still!

If anyone wonders, all 3 of our girls have got in "unprepared", and are not academic genii! It is entirely possible and doable....

jmf - well done, St H will not disappoint!

mumteacher - well done to your students and you.

iseenodust Wed 06-Feb-13 11:59:30

Well done all.
Another 10 days to go before DS's 8+ result. <dramatic sigh>

newmem Wed 06-Feb-13 12:25:04

Hi Mumteacher

I am quite impressed with all the free advice you have been given to parents for the 4+ 5+ 7+ assessment. I wish i could have read this when my kids went through the 4+ assessment and did not got in. However they are now in a private school in harrow. We are looking into moving school, my son is in year4 and daughter in year3. Their current school is a 13+ school, which you can imagine will not get them ready for 11+. We have an assessment in St Helen college in 5 days. Can you please give any advice possible for both of them; I assume that it will be a 7+ and 8+ assessment.
They are not good at writing. I am supposed to drop them at 8.30 on Monday and pick them up at 11.20am. Any idea of what they will go through.

pamoja Wed 06-Feb-13 14:50:52

Thank you MUM TEACHER ...we got into NLCS and Habs too based on your advice for round two......thank you thank you....definitely say you need to be prepared as without preps , you are standing up against 300 others who are...

Fabmum123 Wed 06-Feb-13 14:54:52

Mum teacher, am sitting my son for 7plus Habs next year. Can you please PM me your contact details.

mumteacher Wed 06-Feb-13 20:12:50

Stikmatix sooooo pleased for you - and I envy you the one school run! ;)

The few days of waiting is the hardest hang in there iseenodust almost there- keeping figures and toes crossed for you.

Newmem with only 5 days to go it's really difficult to make any serious changes to their writing. However you might like to try the story hill advice I put up ( now probably on page 2 or 3 of this thread).

pamoja you are so welcome. I'm really pleased I could help. There was a time when I first stated this thread I thought of not continuing but I'm glad I did. If I help just one person (you) it was worth the slack I got. Good luck in making your decision that's two fantastic school offers you're holding.

Fabmum123 the 7+ is competitive so if I can't help please make you keep pace with the level and amount of work involved. (during my busy times I may not reply immediately but keep pestering me - I won't mind ;) )

stikmatix Thu 07-Feb-13 11:00:22

Mumteacher - one school run, I wish - we have a DS as well, so 2 schools to go to, and are expecting number 5 who is a boy, so will end up with 3 school runs as DS1 will go to senior school at the time the baby will start junior!!!! But I can't complain, for now, the school timings are pretty compatible, and we've got into a decent routine.

How many different schools do you have for your kids?

projectsrus Thu 07-Feb-13 15:20:59

well done to all...
also waiting for my DD's 8+ results, frankly it seems a century since she'd done them, although it was only 2 weeks ago!
Not sure how long we have to wait, they said by the 10th of Feb, which is fast approaching and it is a Sunday....

mumteacher Mon 11-Feb-13 09:34:00

5+ results out this weekend how did you on get on?

maya1234 Mon 11-Feb-13 16:03:36

Rejected -
Dd failed the main assesment task - she told the teacher she didnt want to do it and the teacher said that's fine....which is a shame

Had really expected her to get through this year

Maybe she just doesn't have what it takes

maya1234 Mon 11-Feb-13 16:04:18

Mumteaxher How were your 5+ results? Did they all get in?

emanuela Mon 11-Feb-13 20:43:41

Hi maya1234, is your child outgoing or shy? A bit grumpy or very smiley?

My daughter finally got into a good school (she is older now) but from when she did the assessments (she did 2 in north london schools, she did not get in in any of them) I noticed one thing: there is something about some girls (confidence, but more than that) that makes it really easy for them.

Sometimes I am one of the parents at my daughter's school for when the girls do the4+. I play a little game with myself. I talk to the parents (normally only a few any given day) and then I put their daughters into the "yes", "maybe" or no pile.

Then come September, I normally see some of the yeses (some might have gone to different schools, etc), but never the "nos". So some girls just have what it takes. I accepted that my daughter didn't have it (she is quite grumpy, unfortunately and not really very self confident) and moved on. She got in later on when academics became more important.

So, please don't take it so badly. It is very tough, I know ( believe me I do) but your daughter must have some form of shyness/lack of confidence.

Refusing to do the task is unfortunately a big no-no.

Is she in a school that will prepare her for the 7 + now? That is where you will see if she is academic enough for those schools. Remember, for a child who struggles those schools are a nightmare.

So, relax now and try to prepare her without pushing her too hard.

I really hope this helps.

maya1234 Mon 11-Feb-13 23:13:22

Perhaps she is temperamental and moody, under confident, more so since starting her new school this year.

It is frustrating to be rejected as academically she is very bright, began reading at 2, currently reads to the level of a 7 year old, her maths and problem solving is great, she can hold a good conversation and certainly isnt shy.

What do you look for in parents when playing your game? what are your no signals and yes signals?

Kids are a reflection of their parents, maybe having miserable ones doesnt help.

Budj Tue 12-Feb-13 00:08:38

Hi mum teacher,

Lots of talk about the girls but can you help with boys. My little boy has the hall 4plus in a couple of weeks - he is August born so we era rested right at the end. Do you have any idea what they will ask...I've asked lots of mums whose sons have taken the test but no one tells anyone anything. Whats the big secret?
Thanks

Budj Tue 12-Feb-13 00:11:13

Just wanted to add - mum teacher, what fab advice. Honestly i
Don't think you really need to do this but it's nice that you do. Thanks again!

horsemadmom Tue 12-Feb-13 09:12:14

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9860555/Three-year-olds-coached-to-get-into-top-private-schools.html
Don't just take my word for it.

Turniphead1 Tue 12-Feb-13 09:49:13

Really sad to see mothers referring to their four year olds as "not having what it takes". Get a grip ladies. These are babies. Some babies are outgoing and bubbly some are not. So what.

(And this is from someone fully invested in the whole north London Independent school madness).

mumteacher Tue 12-Feb-13 12:12:48

Maya1234 all my 5+ secured a place thank you for asking.

9 out 10 girls sitting Nlcs were offered round 2 and 7 secured a place at the school. Of course when interview by leading paper the new of Nlcs is going to say they don't like it. What did you expect her to say?!

They know these girls are tutored but that doesn't stop them from taking these girls on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now