Told not to help in dd's class as it unsettles her. ..

(39 Posts)
orangeandlemons Thu 13-Dec-12 11:59:15

I started helping in dd.s class. She is 6 and was really happy about it. I have only done 2 weeks. The first week she was fine, but the second week she got very upset and awkward.

Teacher told me today to leave it for a few weeks as it is unsettling her. I feel miffed. Are they right in this? I'm a teacher, but whilst I sort of understand this, I do think dd would have settled eventually. Now I have to tell her I can't go in and she will be gutted.

Viviennemary Thu 13-Dec-12 21:46:55

A lot of schools don't allow parents to work in their child's class. I think this is a sensible policy. Why not offer to help in a different class.

exoticfruits Thu 13-Dec-12 22:06:33

Just offer to help in another class- problem solved.

learnandsay Thu 13-Dec-12 22:13:57

I was a bit miffed at pickup today. Some mother, obviously a parent helper, stood inside the cloakroom taking ages to wrap her son up, as we all stood outside in the cold. She didn't pay any attention to any other other children. And then when she was finished she said goodbye to the teacher, shuffled her child out of the room, closing the door behind her, and our children were led out of the classroom into the freezing air, as usual, without their gloves on and with their coats undone.

Is there some element of - I go into school to help out insofar as I look after my own?! -

juniper904 Thu 13-Dec-12 22:34:19

OP, as a teacher, would you want a parent of one of your class with you?

Personally, I wouldn't. It's a lot of pressure.

orangeandlemons Fri 14-Dec-12 11:31:05

Well I'm a secondary school teacher and .................yes I would love it, if f it was one of the lazy ones who won't do anything!

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Fri 14-Dec-12 12:04:42

What if it was disrupting the child's learning though?

learnandsay Fri 14-Dec-12 12:05:10

Orange, who is lazy, the mum, the pupil or both?

orangeandlemons Fri 14-Dec-12 14:53:46

Well, obviously not then, but somehow I don't think it would at secondary level. I would love to try it and see.grin

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Fri 14-Dec-12 15:05:14

No, but it apparently is disrupting your DDs learning.

lljkk Netherlands Fri 14-Dec-12 15:16:37

I am always amazed by MNers saying they can't volunteer in own child's class.

Do your schools actually get any volunteers? Not many, I'll wager. And mostly only people who are looking for a job eventually in school environments.

to OrangeAndLemons: sadly some of my DC turned into PITA if I came to volunteer, too. Got better as they got older, though, sometimes.

SunflowersSmile Fri 14-Dec-12 15:56:07

I don't volunteer at school to sit with my child/ be in his class.
I am in different year group and do it in a class that needs people to listen to children read. Would hate to be breathing down my own child's neck at school.

carolb54 Fri 14-Dec-12 16:24:01

Not quite sure it is a good idea to assist in your DC classroom. It might unsettle your DC.

On the other hand, some parents go to assist in classroom with a different motives. They normally gossip in the playground about which DC are in bottom of groups etc which I find very distasteful.

Fuzzymum1 Fri 14-Dec-12 22:44:36

I found the same - I had been helping in the year 1/2 class while he was in YR and now he has moved up into year 1 I am still there. When I first helped this year he was fine then he started getting really upset that I was with other children rather than him, I explained to him that if he got upset by me being there I would have to stop and that would be a shame. It took a week or two but he was fine - now I get a "Hello mummy" when I arrive and he carries on with what he was doing.

simpson England Sat 15-Dec-12 00:15:04

In my DC school you cannot volunteer to be with the same year group as your DC.

So I have a child in yr3 and reception and read with kids in yr1,2 and 4.

Having said that no parent volunteers are allowed in reception anyway as we are there to listen to kids read and a lot of them cannot read and the ones that can, the teachers want to oversee it ( fair enough IMO).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now