bright 7 yo boy but average performance

(32 Posts)
maevesport Sun 09-Dec-12 19:10:38

School has confirmed that DS is very bright and perceptive but written work is often "just average" as he does not follow instructions and makes simple mistakes.He is not reaching his potential apparently.

What can I do about this and what should I expect from the teacher.I have been quite hands off and just letting teacher get on with it as at 7 I think he needs space to develop but am worried.Should I be pushy and ask what she plans to do ?Am I supposed to accept this ?

Other Mums seem to be chatting to teacher every morning but I dont.
Am I being foolish or should I trust that as she knows this she has plans to help him ?
We do help him with homework etc and he seems very happy at school.

Taffeta Sun 09-Dec-12 21:15:53

My DS (9, Y4 ) has a very similar report, op. Bright, able and lazy.

His concentration when its a quick to do, easy task is great, or even a longer one in a subject he's interested in ( that'd be football - yaaawn ) is great and he is capable of great work. But in his teacher's words he does just enough and is coasting.

I spent Y3 allowing this and hoping he'd come to his senses, and despite not good QCA test results, it hasn't given him the kick up the arse I wanted. So I am on his back now, big time.

Its comprehension mainly he's lazy about. He wouldn't reread text and was trying to memorise chunks to save him the effort. So we are doing comprehension at home now and I am making him do it. And showing his teacher the work so he does a decent job at it.

<evil>

cece Sun 09-Dec-12 22:17:10

DS1 is now in Year 4 and his teacher is now letting him use a laptop to type his work rather than handwrite it. It has made an amazing difference, although he does have appalling handwriting. Completely illegible and also he finds it physically tiring to write for any length of time.

monkey42 Sun 09-Dec-12 23:09:10

hmmmm, is he just 7 or 7 going on 8? My DS1 (8) has been startlingly inconsistent but has hugely raised his game this year (Y4). His teacher says he now works incredibly hard at school and is very focussed ( i nearly fell off my chair as he does not at home), but she suggested he is incentivised to do well at school - they have a system of credits which they collect on cards to much acclaim etc. I had assumed all the above were just boys being boys i must say, and it's great he has potential. As a swotty girl I think it's great that he just isn't that bothered if it doesn't all look perfect...

My Ds1 loves chess, i agree it's good for the conentration. He can concentrate when he wants to...

KTK9 Sun 09-Dec-12 23:23:51

DD in Year 1, very similar, able, bright etc. etc. etc. All the usual things, including very articulate, good vocab. Slow with reading and had extra help, but no problems came out and finished the scheme before others on the same one.

Just a very disinterested child in school, happy to go, but not motivated (yes at 6!). I was beginning to think there were learning problems, teachers said was too early. Despite being oldest in class she was just muddling along, struggling with maths. Distracted, produced very little work, unless sat next to a TA, when she would do good written work.

Year 2, we moved her to another school, an independent, explained our concerns. Within weeks she was motivated, interested in her work, happy and working hard to improve her writing, all with no major input or nagging from us.

Start of Year 3, she was/is above average in literacy, usually gets 15/15 in spellings and dictation and 30/30 in tables tests. Her maths is very slightly below average in the class, but they have just had another assessment and it will be interesting to see if there is a continued improvement, but in all other areas, working hard and achieving.

There are obviously no major learning difficulties, she can be a bit forgetful, often leaves reading book at school etc., but they are working on her independence (only child and I think I do too much!).

Personally, I think the teacher and school just didn't motivate her. In her new school, motivating and doing your best is a given by everyone, it is so dynamic in the whole ethos and it shows.

fruitstick Mon 10-Dec-12 13:52:12

My DS too. He's in year 2.

I like to think he's very intelligent (obviously) but has the concentration of a gnat and is completely unable to sit still.

He's always been an active boy but was very late with his fine motor skills (because he couldn't be bothered). It wasn't really until reception he so much as attempted some colouring in.

It worries me but I try not to let it. At home I'm trying to concentrate on concentration & instructions rather than writing etc.

DH is doing some Airfix with him and encouraging him to stay focused. Same with following Lego instructions, recipes etc.

He wrote all of his Christmas cards (well 8 of them) without being nagged grin

We have 11+ here so I'm hoping his 'potential' kicks in sooner rather than later grin

maevesport Mon 10-Dec-12 17:06:05

Spoke to teacher today.Very reassuring.She knows him well and has an individualised approach to helping him.
Very bright boy who skips reading instructions or checking his work.Rushes through the task.

Glad I spoke to her - stress evaporated....

exoticfruits Tue 11-Dec-12 07:47:14

Good- long term strategies are needed- life would be simple if you could solve it in a term!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now