Primary teachers - a straw poll

(28 Posts)
NotInMyDay Sun 09-Dec-12 08:07:17

Hi teachers,
My eldest DD started P1 this year so no experience of this yet.

Do teachers like getting Christmas gifts from their pupils? Or do you end up with a house full of quality street?

StrawberryMojito Tue 11-Dec-12 19:17:28

Also should add, my mum never expected gifts from anyone, she was always touched by the thought even if it was something she would never use.

eviekingston Wed 12-Dec-12 10:03:48

I always appreciate a gift, however small! I know that there is an argument that as teachers are 'only' doing their jobs, why should they get an extra present, but IMO the people who take care of my child every day when I am not with them, especially at the early stages of school, deserve an extra thank you in whatever form that may take. So I have bought a present for all the adults in my son's reception class (teacher, TA and LSA) and will be writing them a very heartfelt note of appreciation for all their hard work helping him settle into school. I expect I will receive a selection of small gifts from the Reception class that I teach, collections tend to be done at the end of the school year, and they don't make me feel awkward, just very chuffed that the parents wanted to do it.

sununu Wed 12-Dec-12 10:08:00

this year I have bought 6 hyacinth bulbs (about to flower) at the garden centre and wil be wrapping pots in foil and ribbon for 3 teachers + 3 TAs. would have been even better if I had thought to plant the bulbs myself earlier rather than going to garden centre! hopefully that will be a nice token to offer? (+ cards from kids)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now