Reading book recommendation for reception child.

(22 Posts)
Tgger Sat 08-Dec-12 21:40:34

Maybe you are keeping it for the grandchildren wink.

simpson Sat 08-Dec-12 21:37:57

Tgger - exactly!! And the fact that one of the books that DS was soooo obsessed with when he was in nursery (he got it out of the school library 4 weeks in a row and sobbed when he was not allowed a 5th) was my first ever amazon purchase blush

Neither child will really look at this book now but still can't bring myself to get rid of it!!

Tgger Sat 08-Dec-12 21:34:47

I think it's the time spent reading them, the emotional energy invested with your baby/young child, the memories.... awwwwwwwwww

Tgger Sat 08-Dec-12 21:32:46

But sometimes, just sometimes (once in a blue moon grin), they pick up the baby books and read/stare (in DD's case, engage with etc) and that makes me reluctant to get rid of them too! Having said that I have just donated some baby books to my friend who has 8 week old twin boys.

simpson Sat 08-Dec-12 21:28:12

Oh I remember that one, DD loved that one too!!

I do get irrationally attached to books and was having a clear out recently (and giving some books the kids have out grown to a friend with younger kids) and every book I picked up I found myself saying "Oh no,but DS/DD loved it when they were XX age" (they are now 4 and 7 - and I was going through baby picture books blush)

Tgger Sat 08-Dec-12 21:20:49

Funny how you remember "first book read" along with the other milestones grin. DS's was "Mum Bug's Bag", which was quite cool in terms of first reading book (oh dear sounding very pfb).

Tgger Sat 08-Dec-12 21:18:39

hear, oh dear, hungover.....!

Tgger Sat 08-Dec-12 21:18:05

Ah, cool Simpson. Glad to here they are good!

This is where I admit that I got a couple out for my DD, after her success at sounding out "cat" and "dog" I thought I'd try the library for size, found those and thought she might like a go at them. However, they were clearly above her head and after trying very gently I read them to her. I won't be getting any more out for about 6-12 months blush.

simpson Sat 08-Dec-12 21:17:45

Forgot to mention the Oxford owl website, it has loads of free ebooks so you don't need to buy them!!!

Might be worth checking out before you buy anything (although they are mainly school type books but they do have a few of the RWI books Tgger linked to, so you could try them out first and see if your DD likes them)...

simpson Sat 08-Dec-12 21:15:03

Tgger - Run Rat Run, was the first book DD ever read!! Our local library has loads of them too, they are fab!!

coldcupoftea Sat 08-Dec-12 21:11:18

I recently got DD who is in reception the Julia Donaldson Songbirds collection. Shr loves them as she can actually sound out every word, as opposed to the ones she gets from school which seem to have random really tricky words in. Enough to keep her busy for a while too!

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/019841109X

Tgger Sat 08-Dec-12 21:08:09

If you want early stages reading books then the Songbirds ones are good- you can get them on Amazon if the cheap deals are sold out, and DS also liked some from this series www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0198386753/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1ZPP0D9P8CD9EWZ76BFK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317819927&pf_rd_i=468294. You might want to start on the level 2 ones if she's got going with her reading.

Those Usborne ones that Simpson mentioned are quite good, but DS wasn't so much into them. We got a few from the library after buying the first one, then bought Moon Zoom. Both kids like the puzzles in the back of them though smile.

Our library has this series www.amazon.co.uk/Run-Rat-Reading-Corner-Phonics/dp/0749673060/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355000705&sr=1-3 and they seem fine although I don't know them so well- you could browse those and see if anything inspires you!

Otherwise if you want books to read to her the world is your oyster!

simpson Sat 08-Dec-12 21:03:31

Someone on MN recommended them (waffle nose) and DD adores them...

She has read the 3 we have and I will buy her the 4th for her birthday in Jan...

would second My Naughty Little Sister as I am truly bored of reading them again and again to DD (but she loves them obv!!)

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sat 08-Dec-12 20:52:17

I would like to second the suggestion of the Frog and Toad books by Arnold Lobel.

They are just absolutely lovely, delightful stories.

simpson Sat 08-Dec-12 20:49:52

DD also loves The Owl Who Was Afraid Of The Dark (but as a bedtime story,she can't read it by herself yet!!)

simpson Sat 08-Dec-12 20:48:43

Also if you want them for her to read you can find a pack of songbirds books (ORT 1-6) but my neighbour asked me to buy a set for their reception DD (don't have Internet access) and it seems to be sold out ATM....

simpson Sat 08-Dec-12 20:46:54

There is an usborne set of books that the adult reads one page and the child reads a simpler page iyswim.

DD loved them. They are called usborne very first reading set.

Also DD loves Frog and Toad books too...

Wallison Sat 08-Dec-12 20:46:19

The Anne Fine Jamie and Angus books are lovely. I like them not just because they are well-written but also because they are to do with the things that children really think about, as opposed to what adults think children think about.

pud1 Sat 08-Dec-12 20:42:35

I think it's the orchard ones. She didn't get one on Friday so I can't check. She also had the biff and chip ones when she was on just picture books. Not sure if they Are from the same range

treas Sat 08-Dec-12 20:41:42

Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown
Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
My Naughty Little Sister by Dorothy Edwards
The Faraway Tree etc. by Enid Blyton

If these are beyond her then they are ideal for bedtime shared reading between an adult and child taking turns to read a page or two.

Tgger Sat 08-Dec-12 20:33:02

What does she get from school?

pud1 Sat 08-Dec-12 20:25:00

I would like to buy my nearly 5 yo some reading books for Xmas. She is loving her new found reading skill and I wanted to encourage it. I don't want to have the books they have at school as it will take the excitement off getting a new book twice a week. Can anyone recommend a range of books that are suitable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now