Complete madness - rules are so stupid they have to be true!

(48 Posts)
SittingBull Mon 03-Dec-12 05:06:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

perplexedpirate Tue 04-Dec-12 15:46:56

I do live the wording of 'no child shall be inverted'. Could be the school motto. I wonder what it is in Latin?

picketywick Tue 04-Dec-12 14:39:55

Didnt a recent head have a rule that children should walk in single file all over. And also recite a school motto in the mornings.

juniper904 Mon 03-Dec-12 21:06:01

Our school outdoor equipment broke when children were using it, 'supervised' by adults, outside of school time.

It's going to cost thousands to replace, and it's lucky no-one was hurt. I'm sure it would have been school's fault, somehow.

clam Mon 03-Dec-12 21:05:51

Only nowadays, falling over requires a 'bumped head' slip filled in in triplicate, so that little game's not long for this world in the school playground either.
And you can call me a killjoy if you like, but I'd stop children playing this if I saw it. Along with the one where they hold their breath for as long as they can to see if they can faint!
Pah! Nanny state, eh?

TheNebulousBoojum Mon 03-Dec-12 20:58:09

My guess would be the game where a child spins round and round until they fall over, It's been popular since before the 15th century.

HanSolo Mon 03-Dec-12 20:31:38

Whatever is dizzy ducklings?

clam Mon 03-Dec-12 20:28:10

Agree. Turning cartwheels in the privacy and space of your own garden is totally different from trying them out on a crowded field/playground with hundreds of children charging around not looking where they're going.

TheNebulousBoojum Mon 03-Dec-12 20:24:49

No, yet again it is one parent thinking about their child alone, to the exclusion of the others, clam.

clam Mon 03-Dec-12 20:23:45

Because, stella if it's officially a school trip, then officially the school is responsible if the child has an accident while the parent is looking the other way and chatting.

Do you think we teachers want all this nonsense? We're the ones filling in all the bloody ridiculous risk assessment forms.

TheNebulousBoojum Mon 03-Dec-12 20:23:36

On a school tour?
They would have had to complete a detailed risk assessment that would not have covered the climbing frame, and the fact that you were supervising your own children would not have negated the school's responsibility.
Plus what about all the other children who might have wanted to turn somersaults without their parents and couldn't?
Bit selfish to allow one set and not all, don't you think?

stella1w Mon 03-Dec-12 20:18:42

Children not allowed to use climbing frame while being supervised by theor own parents eg. On a school tour due to health and safety

TheNebulousBoojum Mon 03-Dec-12 20:17:26

98% of all ridiculous and unnecessary rules imposed by schools are a direct response to ridiculous and unnecessary complaints from parents. Truefact.

HassledHasASledge Mon 03-Dec-12 20:15:40

98% of all school accidents are a direct result of playing Bulldog. Truefact.

A little different, but a "banning" none the less, only it's parents this time.

I was banned from walking 50 yards through the playground (not through classrooms or indoors or anything) to an outdoors classroom hut where playgroup was being held after dropping DD off at school. Instead I had to walk about 500 yards back out of the school, right round the outside, against the massive flow of parents and children and a busy bus stop (all with my pushchair) and 3 year old in tow and go in through a side gate instead. Same goes for all the other parents dropping their children off so I wasn't singled out.

The reason for this is apparently because some parents at the playgroup may not have children at the school(!) I asked what that had to do with me, given I had every right to be in the playground dropping DD off and he said that was the policy, and because of these imaginary non-school parents (everyone at playgroup has a child at the school there) only the side entrance nearest the hut must be used for playgroup and nobody was to walk across the playground they were legally entitled to be in anyway in order to get there.

I didn't mind the extra walk particularly (heck, I walk 40 miles a week with that pushchair) but I loathe truly illogical rules.

So I very politely queried the logic of the rule with a big friendly smile on my face, asking if maybe it was insurance reasons or something and presumably because there was no logical comeback to such a stupid bloody rule he turned all patronising and said "So basically you want us to change the rules just so it suits you personally, do you?" angry

Jobsworth wanker.

clam Mon 03-Dec-12 20:10:25

Not being allowed to go on the grass? Well, that surely depends on the time of year. Ours aren't allowed at the moment - as they then slip and slide and traipse clumps of the stuff back into school onto the carpets, which other kids have to sit on. It also turns grassed areas into the Somme.

It's a very lazy cliche to assume that all schools are just miserable killjoys for the sake of it. Behind every 'ban' or rule that seems "complete madness" or "nanny state" lies a host of parental complaints that have forced the Head's hand, as nebulous points out. Plus a fair few avoidable injuries.

juniper904 Mon 03-Dec-12 19:28:06

What are you cross about?

TheNebulousBoojum Mon 03-Dec-12 19:24:46

Very patchy though, we are allowed hot drinks in class.

I agree that some rules seem daft, but the over-cautiousness came as a response to threats and complaints from parents over incidents that were often relatively minor. Or sometimes from our Overlords in government. I've seen it become more of a straightjacket over the last three decades.
It's just the easy answer, child gets injured, parent gets their knickers in a twist over visible knickers, child A kicked by child B who was doing a cartwheel.
Parent emails, or orders a meeting to complain?
No problem, we are sorry it happened and the activity is now banned.
The number of parental complaints over very small incidents has rocketed too.

juniper904 Mon 03-Dec-12 19:13:14

You only need to read the AIBU threads to understand why schools ban these things.

You may say it's utterly ridiculous at the moment, but if it were your DC being injured, you'd be outraged that the school weren't adequately safe guarding. Unfortunately, we live in a suing, blame fuelled culture.

There are lots of safety rules for teachers too. No hot drinks in the classroom makes sense, but it makes wet play ie no break a bit of a downer.

roadkillbunny Mon 03-Dec-12 16:34:53

Conkers and whole blush

roadkillbunny Mon 03-Dec-12 16:33:14

Not quite a rule but I remember the deputy head at my high school preaching to us how we should only buy and wear British made products and clothing. My friends and I then pointed out that the blazers that we had to have from a certain shop with the school logo on and had to wear at all times what ever the weather were made in China. We all started to agree with his statements and began to remove our blazers while checking the other compulsory uniform. He changed his tune and backtracked with remarkable speed. The whole thing tickles me still today rather too many years later small mind

British bulldog was banned at my primary after one too many broken bones but conkets, cartwheels and hole school games of hide and seek that lasted whole afternoons when the teachers didn't have the heart to stop play were fine.

Band not and

Ineedalife we have had that one. Dd had a school colour hair band at her old school that had five tiny different coloured spots in the bow part.

I am yet to find out why five tiny white spots on a blue hair and was so offensive!

Fifis25StottieCakes Mon 03-Dec-12 13:03:17

I didn't say it was ridiculous to ban british bull dog, you need to read my post

Fifis25StottieCakes Mon 03-Dec-12 13:02:02

I do think its ridiculous, obviously british bulldogs not a good idea but banning cartwheels IMO and so is some of the other stuff, there's quite a big list at my kids school like not being able to go on the grass and no footballs

clam Mon 03-Dec-12 12:39:43

fifi You might think it utterly ridiculous for teachers to ban British Bulldog, but then maybe you've never been the one to be picking up all the pieces from the smaller, frailer kids who've been barged to the ground by a stampeding crowd of large Year 6s playing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now