Complete madness - rules are so stupid they have to be true!

(48 Posts)
SittingBull Mon 03-Dec-12 05:06:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SittingBull Mon 03-Dec-12 05:07:40

merrymouse Mon 03-Dec-12 07:52:43

Was there a cartwheel related incident?

poppy283 Mon 03-Dec-12 07:55:36

When I was at secondary school the word 'bof' was banned, and you had to take your coat off the very moment you entered the building.

SittingBull Mon 03-Dec-12 08:04:19

mam29 Mon 03-Dec-12 08:04:24

My dd has done gym since age 3 and can do carwtheels but many her age in year 1/2couldent she even tried being cart weheel teacher last summer when they were allowed to play on the feild.

Guessing its some kind of accident.

Trying to think of some but my dd not been at new school long.

Old school was rc so couldent say omg even in this house as was disrespectful to god.

we not catholic.

ohh i remembered one when we looked ound new school they were playing with beads to which dd said they not allowed in her school they dangerous and might fall on carpet this is in year 1 and 2.

Think some schools can be health and safety mad and risk adverse.

It disrespectful to blaspheme.

Floralnomad Mon 03-Dec-12 08:10:37

I would doubt that's the real reason , more likely that someone showing off how well they can do a cartwheel and round off ( whatever that is) kicked somebody else in the face . Most H & S things at schools are just gossip and hearsay .

You would all love dds school, my friends boy at another school can't believe dd can take her scooter to school and ride it in playground asking for accident , play conkers, do cartwheels, roll down grass hills.

clam Mon 03-Dec-12 10:24:19

If you're talking about in the playground, I would say it's pretty standard to ban it - they don't look where they're going and career into people and faces get kicked. Ditto handstands - but there's also a shedload of complaints on here about girls upending themselves showing their knickers to everyone.

One could argue that it's a bit over the top, but I wouldn't say it's "complete madness."

Houseworkprocrastinator Mon 03-Dec-12 10:31:38

Cartwheels/handstands banned in my child's school too. I remember the game British Bulldogs being banned when i was young and also push pops (not sure why)

ISeeSmallPeople Mon 03-Dec-12 10:34:06

We've had 3 broken arms from playground cartwheel incidents this term.
it's not my school is it?

Fifis25StottieCakes Mon 03-Dec-12 10:39:58

They are banned at my school, i find it all utterly ridiculous. We used to play british bulldog and kiss cuddle and torture when i was in primary school. Nanny state

Bluebell99 Mon 03-Dec-12 10:40:12

Our school has fleeces as part of the uniform. Alot of children wear them as an alternative to a jumper or cardigan. The new head has decreed that they can only be worn to and from school. That was a waste of £13 then! My child already has a coat to wear to and from school. She also banned playing football in the playground. Only allowed on the field, and children only allowed on the field when dry in summer. That didn't go down well.

MrsMushroom Mon 03-Dec-12 10:40:55

A recelption child ran into my DD also reception today and a teacher shouted No bumping into one another!

hmm I'm sure that's not a rule but it certainly sounded like one!

Fifis25StottieCakes Mon 03-Dec-12 10:41:02

scooters are also banned and conkers

ImperialSantaKnickers Mon 03-Dec-12 10:41:31

I remember someone breaking an arm during a particularly vigorous, whole school involved, game of British Bulldog. It was banned after that - 1970's.

Fifis25StottieCakes Mon 03-Dec-12 10:44:15

saying that i did actually break my arm 3 times whilst in primary school, once doing that thing where you put your coat over your head and try and take off in the wind running down the hill . Once on a skiddy patch and once playing dizzy ducklings

wheresthebeach Mon 03-Dec-12 10:50:56

Yep banned at our school too. Although I don't think the kids are taking any notice! School terrible at monitoring playground.

BalloonSlayer Mon 03-Dec-12 10:51:46

My DD can only do cartwheels at school if she is wearing shorts under her skirt.

It's the rules.

I was ordered (by DD) to go out and buy her some cycling shorts specially for the cartwheeling season.

ChestnutsRoastingonaWitchesTit Mon 03-Dec-12 10:55:25

After a boy got a busted cheekbone in a snowball fight they were banned for one playtime at our school, then reinstated with the proviso that kids should not "bloody well put rocks in em, you bunch of reprobates".

Aaah the eighties.

Ineedalife Mon 03-Dec-12 12:20:07

At Dd3's old school she was once told that she couldnt wear a red hairband because it wasnt school colours, she was made to take it off and her hair was flopping in her eyes all dayconfused

At her new school it is socks!! The children are only allowed to wear grey, white or black, even under trousers. I am sorry but I really dont understandhmm

Then again Dd3 does have ASD so if someone tells her something is a rule then it is set in stone for ever!

Houseworkprocrastinator Mon 03-Dec-12 12:22:09

Fifi... you must have gone to a nice school. we had kiss KICK or torture... smile

I think we also had yo-yos banned at one point, this was when you got them free by collecting the tabs from the top of coke cans. but i can see their point 100 children all trying to do 'round the world' at the same time cant be safe.

clam Mon 03-Dec-12 12:39:43

fifi You might think it utterly ridiculous for teachers to ban British Bulldog, but then maybe you've never been the one to be picking up all the pieces from the smaller, frailer kids who've been barged to the ground by a stampeding crowd of large Year 6s playing it.

Fifis25StottieCakes Mon 03-Dec-12 13:02:02

I do think its ridiculous, obviously british bulldogs not a good idea but banning cartwheels IMO and so is some of the other stuff, there's quite a big list at my kids school like not being able to go on the grass and no footballs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now