How much reading should a KS1 doing in school?

(13 Posts)
Hulababy Mon 03-Dec-12 16:44:15

WileyRoadRunner - sounds very similar to DD's school - similar numbers and with a preschool too. smile Hence why it was always possible for my DD to be heard reading individually every day at school. Just not possible in a class of 30 though.

WileyRoadRunner Mon 03-Dec-12 11:14:12

Sorry only just come back to this thread - educator & slinky she is at a small school 10 in class, with part time TA.

It is independent which I know is a hot topic so didn't say that initially so I don't know if that makes a difference - it's not your "normal" independent as there are only 100 children there including nursery and its classed as a primary not a prep school.

I'm thinking that in addition to actually reading 1to1 everyday there is often reading in other forms which is just as helpful. I agree that it would be nigh on impossible to read to 30 children everyday as individuals.

educator123 Sun 02-Dec-12 19:48:24

I meant one to one reading, as I've heard dd talk about it being guiding reading when she has talked about her day.

But since Sept she never mentions it and when I ask her about her day she always says she hasn't read with a teacher/TA.

So I'm concerned it isn't being done,esp as nothing has been written in her record for some time.

Willsmum79 Sun 02-Dec-12 15:31:51

Children in my Y2 class read daily.
Guided reading x 3 (lucky to have 2 TAs)
Home Reader every day although this might be alone as in a class of 30 and an overloaded curriculum, it's impossible to hear every child EVERY DAY!
Literacy - most lessons involve some sort of reading whether it is a shared text or VCOP work individually,pairs, groups or again, whole class.
Children do not realise that they read EVERY DAY. It is built into our daily lives so much, it's easy to forget we do it!

Hulababy Sun 02-Dec-12 09:30:40

DD's school:

1:1 with teacher or TA - was daily, but was onlt 1-2 pages of a book. Our guided reading sessions are far longer where I work. DD's class was also a third of the size of classes I work in.

Rest was similar to my school's set up but without the guided reading sessions.

Hulababy Sun 02-Dec-12 09:29:24

Where I work:

Guided reading with teacher - once a week
Reading guided reading books (or other chosen books) and doing work attached to them - every morning
Reading 2-3 specific sentences - daily within phonics
1:1 reading with TA/teacher/other adult - varies, some children 3-4 times a week, others very little
Other reading within school - most days
Home reading - encourages to do a little every day; that varies with parents, some do daily some do none.

Slinky Sun 02-Dec-12 09:28:49

Wiley...Am very impressed that your DD reads individually on a daily basis!

Genuine question...is she at a small school and how many in a class? Reason I ask is that I'm a TA in Reception, and as much as we would love to listen to readers daily, we just cannot manage to. We have 30 in a class...we would spend about 5 hours a day on reading alone. I do spend some extra time on a daily basis with the children that never read at home.

educator123 Sun 02-Dec-12 09:18:29

Wiley
According to my DC's school ofsted report they also read daily, hence my confusion as dd is saying she hasn't read.

Is your DD at a small school?

WileyRoadRunner Sun 02-Dec-12 08:21:05

My DD1 does/has always read individually to her teacher daily.

redskyatnight Sat 01-Dec-12 11:05:11

In Y1 my DD did guided reading twice a week (once with teacher, once with TA). In Y2 she does it once a week (with TA) and reads individually with teacher every fortnight.

Does she "do" anything that might mean she missed guided reading? My DD has a music lesson in school time and it coincided with the guided reading - teacher had genuinely not picked up that DD was always missing it until I pointed it out. But in that case, DD was aware that guided reading was going on with the rest of her group iyswim.

I'd ask the teacher in a non-confrontational way - maybe just ask how frequently they do guided reading in Y1? If it's only the last couple of weeks you've been monitoring, have the class dropped everything else to rehearse the Christmas play?

fourlittleangels Fri 30-Nov-12 19:32:28

I was referring to guided reading.
Which Dd used to talk about doing but now doesn't seem to be doing it, but like you say, I didn't want to go and talk to the school too soon just incase she is forgetting when she did esp as young children don't always understand times scales. But she did say tonight she hasn't done it for ages and that maybe it's just class one that do it.

redskyatnight Fri 30-Nov-12 17:38:15

"Reading" comes in many guises. I would expect school to have daily phonics teaching, guided reading (once or twice a week) plus individual reading. And of course reading something off the whiteboard, reading instructions on a street ... also count as reading.

If Ofsted say that the children are doing daily reading, than this means they've found records to show this. Of course the school might be fabricating these, but seems more likely that your DD has forgotten that she read (maybe earlier in the day) or simply doesn't relate what she did to "reading".

fourlittleangels Fri 30-Nov-12 16:09:33

The school current Ofsted which was very recent said that the children read daily, but I have asked DD, discretely everyday for about two week now and she says she hasn't done any reading at school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now