can you look at this and say if it looks like dyslexia to you, please?

(57 Posts)
imogengladhart Wed 28-Nov-12 22:40:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ohfunnyface Wed 28-Nov-12 22:47:05

Does he have high intelligence that is shown in other areas? Dyslexia afaik is issues with reading/spelling but high intelligence levels.

chasteroidbelt Wed 28-Nov-12 22:48:18

The spellings and your last sentence was exactly like my ds. He was assessed as having dyslexic tendencies at age 9. He is now home educated with private tutors, making slow but steady progress, and much happier.

JellyMould Wed 28-Nov-12 22:49:28

I would definitely say looks like dyslexia (am ed psych type). Hope you can get some help.

bigbuttons Wed 28-Nov-12 22:53:12

God what a shame for him! My dd (7) was assessed for dyslexia recently having had problems for a while. The teacher she has has been phenomenal in bringing her on. It's terrible that they won't even assess you ds until he is 12. Can you get a private assessment?

openerofjars Wed 28-Nov-12 22:59:02

It's a bit more complex than that: some people with dyslexia have high intelligence but it's not a compensatory disability. It's a spectrum and there is still a lot of disagreement about it within the field.

Some things to think about might be: Does anyone else in your family have difficulties with reading and writing? How are his organisational skills e.g. perception of time, maths etc? I work with dyslexic adults so not an expert at all in childhood dyslexia, and spelling/reading can be a big part of dyslexia but there can be other areas to look at. How does he perceive text when he reads? For example, do the words appear to move around? Ask him what he actually sees when he reads.

The thing that stands out for me is that his spelling isn't phonetic or consistent. He seems to replace consonants with ones that don't match the sounds, if you see what I mean.

From my work, I know that dyslexia can cause difficulties but I have met some amazing people with dyslexia and although it is not the end of the world that is not to downplay how hard he is finding school. You sound like a great mum and he's lucky to have you fighting his corner.

I'm sorry, I don't know the Scottish system, either. I wish I could help more.

openerofjars Wed 28-Nov-12 23:01:53

I just read my post back and I'm sorry for the phrase "not the end of the world". It must feel like that for him at the moment. He isn't stupid, either, just working at a disadvantage in what a colleague with dyslexia calls "the lexic world". It must be so painful and frustrating for him.

I hope I didn't offend your your son: it was the last thing I wanted to do.

imogengladhart Wed 28-Nov-12 23:11:28

imogengladhart Wed 28-Nov-12 23:13:48

Your first post I'd have said COULD be, and to get him checked out by a professional, but your second leaves very little doubt for me. My DP is dyslexic too and this could have come from his mouth.

openerofjars Wed 28-Nov-12 23:41:21

Agree totally, sorry can't add more but trying not to wake baby! That's so crap that he can't be assessed. Have you contacted the British Dyslexia Association?

ohfunnyface Thu 29-Nov-12 07:51:35

Are you sure you can't have him privately assessed?! It seems cruel to leave him without support for so long.

Do coloured pages/overlays help?

I agree that it sounds like dyslexia.

catstail Thu 29-Nov-12 08:46:08

I would say its definitely not nothing (nor is it due to a change of schools hmm), yes it could be dyslexia but if there are other things going on it could be part of something else?

I think you should get a private assessment asap. If it is dyslexia and school cant or wont support him you have the choice of changing school, home educating, or leaving him at school and providing dyslexia support at home

LIZS Thu 29-Nov-12 09:02:23

Get hold of some coloured plastic wallets from a stationers and try them as overlays. ds (now 14) has dyspraxia and slow processing/working memory but high verbal iq. Dyslexia techniques helped enormously with spelling whether he was also dyslexic now seems irrelevant, and he learned to touch type. Still has problems learning info from certain coloured paper though so writes/types them out.

Have you tried a writing slope (side of an A4 folder with paper inside is ok to start), making sure he is fully supported when seated with feet flat on floor, perhaps a Move n Sit cushion, exercises to help isolate the motion of writing to wrist instead of hold arm and to coordinate/strengthen fingers. Is is possible he is hyperflexible (fidgeting, poor coordination, fatigue, awkward posture when running, prone to turning over ankles, floppiness when trying to sit at table) ?

tigrou Thu 29-Nov-12 09:16:34

It all sounds very very similar to my dyslexic DD, and as there is such a strong history of dyslexia in the family, I would say proceed as if you have a diagnosis and do whatever you can to help and support him before his confidence goes down the tube. Seeing a speech and language therapist helped us enormously, also a behavioural optometrist, and just talking about dyslexia so that DD understood she was not less able than others, just functioning in a different way.

BegoniaBigtoes Thu 29-Nov-12 09:26:21

Your poor DS. I'm in scotland too, and my DS has recently had the test at school and it says he has dyslexia - he's also year 3. He's also had amazing learning support from day 1. But a school down the road (same council) is not as good - I know of a child there who has no support and the parents are desperate to get him assessed and hitting a brick wall. So it might be partly the school.

I'll tell you what we did in the run-up - went to the GP with our worries about DS's writing and co-ordination, who referred us to occupational therapy at the hospital. This gets linked back to the school and wakes them up to the fact that there may be a problem. (It might be dyslexia, it could possibly be other things instead/as well.) If you can afford it, you could get a private assessment for dyslexia too. Also ask to have a meeting with your school's learning support teacher, explain your worries and ask directly for help. (We never had to do this as ours have been great but it's worth a try.)

Another thing that's good for my DS is spending as much time as possible with him doing things that he's good at and enjoys - in his case art, gardening, hillwalking, computing, going on his scooter (he can't ride a bike). It helps with his self-esteem and also helps him practise all the co-ordination skills. Keep reassuring him about what he is good at and that he isn't stupid.

imogengladhart Thu 29-Nov-12 10:33:16

ohfunnyface Thu 29-Nov-12 10:38:03

School won't let him use them???

That's outrageous- on what grounds??

imogengladhart Thu 29-Nov-12 10:44:32

diddlediddledumpling Thu 29-Nov-12 10:49:40

Can I suggest you ask another family member who is dyslexic to have a wee chat with him?(Not sure if you meant your dad or his dad). Might reassure him that he's not stupid, this is just a difficulty that some people have, including people he admires or respects. Could also help him with a vocabulary to describe his difficulties.
Ds1 (and possibly ds2 and ds3) was recently diagnosed as colour blind, although I'd been fairly certain already, and while it's impact isn't anywhere near as significant as dyslexia, I think the diagnosis has helped him realise why he was getting colours wrong in school when everyone else had no problems. One of the first things I was able to tell him after he'd been to the optician was that his uncle is colourblind too, and I think that helped.

imogengladhart Thu 29-Nov-12 10:53:51

ScillyCow Thu 29-Nov-12 10:54:19

School is being absolutely ridiculous.

I would want to see the Head.

Try also calling the British Dyslexia Association - they are very helpful.

ohfunnyface Thu 29-Nov-12 11:10:13

I've messaged you- I am shocked that the school is holding back the progress of a child.

bigbuttons Thu 29-Nov-12 15:40:08

I'd be out of that school/LEA tbh. Your son could and should be helped NOW.

imogengladhart Thu 29-Nov-12 18:54:09

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now