Reception Open Afternoon - can any teachers/parents with experience help please?

(4 Posts)
mumnosbest Fri 23-Nov-12 12:15:58

Im an f2 teacher and this sounds like most of the boys in my class. They just want to 'do it' and don't really think about the how or why. It's something we do a lot of work on but i bet he'll grow out of it.
I'd give him lots of 2 step instructions and slowly build up from there. Make sure he is listening then say, eg clean your teeth then get your shoes. When he's doing it, start adding a 3rd like put your coat on. my ds 7, still only hears the last step. Ask lots of 'why and how' questions to get him articulating. 'how did you stick the wheels on?' 'why did you colour that blue?'

All sounds very normal to me smile

blanksquit Fri 23-Nov-12 12:05:35

I don't know about not being able to articulate what's been done, but the not following instructions in a group rings a bell with me. Mine was also fine 1:1 but couldn't seem to concentrate in group lessons. Would come away without a clue what to do. They have combatted it at school by just checking she knows what to do after a group lesson or an instruction has been given.

He is very young and it might just be that he doesn't want to say if he's asked a question in a group situation, rather than him not knowing the answer. I'd be interested to know if he was asked to recall it one to one or in front of the group. Mine would sooner say she didn't know than speak in front of a group.

I guess you would know at home if he's able to articulate things to you. If in doubt perhaps ask him some questions after you've been somewhere or done something. What did he think of a character in a film or a book for example.

I think the majority of dc settle down in time. Mine is a lot calmer at age 7 but still has issues in group situations. Academically - it's not been a problem at all - she's doing really well. Energy wise - yes that's calmed down too. She used to spend hours leaping off a low window sill onto our sofa. I can't remember the last time I told her to "get down from there". She still can't sit still though - is very wriggly to sit next to.

Arachnophobic Thu 22-Nov-12 23:14:11

Bump

Arachnophobic Thu 22-Nov-12 16:55:00

Last week we went to our son's open afternoon to see his work and speak to the teacher.

Teacher said he was above average academically (she acknowledged that was a crude term) and average in terms of emotional development. She also commented that she can't believe the amount of energy he has, she has never seen him tired or even yawn (we have always known this).

However, she said that he often struggles to articulate himself. For example they did a counting graph and he struggled to explain later what he did. She wondered if it was because he is always going at 100mph and his mind works faster than his brain. Similarly, in group settings he struggles to follow instructions but on a one-to-one basis he is fine.

Anyone, either teacher or parent have experience of this? Did the child grow out of it and how did they go on to progress? Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now