What would you say this is and what would you do about it?

(11 Posts)
SmoothOperandus Wed 21-Nov-12 06:53:51

Thank you everyone, I appreciate you replies. I will try to talk to the teacher today.

RaisinBoys Wed 21-Nov-12 02:13:13

Agree with what others have said.

Talk to teacher - make an appt if necessary. Tell them what's going on and ask how the school is going to ensure that your DS is free from intimidation when in their care.

Ask for a copy of the school's anti bullying policy and pursue with the HT if no joy with the teacher.

Hope this is resolved speedily for your DS.

maillotjaune Tue 20-Nov-12 18:45:39

What Rudolph said. Can you go tomorrow? You need to stress that it is a serious concern that things escalated today so you don't get fobbed off.

SunflowersSmile Tue 20-Nov-12 18:31:36

It is anti bullying week at our school. Is that a National thing?

SunflowersSmile Tue 20-Nov-12 18:30:41

I think a general talk on kindness is good. However, the situation is perhaps more serious than the teacher realises and needs a much more personalised response. Whole thing needs moving up a gear.

SmoothOperandus Tue 20-Nov-12 18:17:29

Thank you for your replies. What do you think about the teacher addressing the issue with a general lesson to everyone instead of talking to the boy in question?

Rudolphstolemycarrots Tue 20-Nov-12 18:05:29

Face to face meeting ASAp. Go in 15 mins early and explain. Ask what they plan to do. 20 times a lesson is very serious. Go to head if things don't improve

BlueberryHill Tue 20-Nov-12 18:02:53

Agree, speak to the teacher again, point out he is still having problems, specify what, when etc and that it is happening in the playground and so could the playground supervisors keep an eye on it.

SunflowersSmile Tue 20-Nov-12 17:55:34

Definitely have face to face meeting with teacher asap. Your poor ds.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Tue 20-Nov-12 17:50:26

All I can suggest is that you speak to the teacher face to face and gently push him/her for active suggestions. It's even more difficult when you're new to the area/school.
Hope someone comes along soon with better help.
sad for your son.
Good luck.

SmoothOperandus Tue 20-Nov-12 17:27:57

DS, 8 yrs old and in Y4, started brand new school in new area in Sept, recently expressed concern over the fact that a boy that until that point had been all over him (these are my words not his) was being disruptive in class and DS found it hard to concentrate being chatted to when trying to work. This was followed by an incident where other boy told DS to stop playing with certain people or else he wouldn't be his friend.

Yesterday after school DS was quite upset as other boy had prevented him from joining other classmates' games because DS was friends with 'the enemy'. DS is very gentle and sensitive; situations like this affect him very deeply and at this point DS is a bit scared of other boy.

I emailed DS's teacher to make her aware of situation. Today teacher did a lesson on being kind to one another. It was a general thing but directly related to my email.

However DS came home today again very upset saying that other boy had been bothering him again.

During the lessons where they were sitting on same table (all of them apart from one), other boy kept calling DS an idiot during the time teacher was talking to the class. Teacher too far to hear. DS says that other boy called him an idiot at least 20 times in each lesson.

Other boy also threaten to punch DS if 'he didn't stop it'. When I asked DS stop what he just said, nothing, just being there or trying to join a game.

Again other boy prevented DS from joining games with other schoolmates telling him to 'go away'.

I have never had to deal with anything like this before. Obviously I feel that the teachers approach hadn't worked at all. What next?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now