How do you deal with homework reluctance?

(35 Posts)
decktheballs Sun 18-Nov-12 18:05:13

Ds1 is 7 and in primary 3. He gets a reading book, some questions to answer on it and an art or mathematic task every week. Handed out on Fridays and to be handed in on Wednesdays.
He is good at reading and numbers, struggles a bit with his writing.
No matter what part of his homework I try and get him to do, he refuses.
I obviously do it with him but it takes forever. Tonight he was answering three questions on the book he read to me yesterday, it took him almost an hour!
I have two other dc and dh works a lot.
Has anyone else experienced this and if so do you have any advice?
Tia

Taffeta Sun 18-Nov-12 21:48:02

Some of the homework is bollocks, and you do feel its just a reiteration of what has been done in class, that they ran out of time to do. Last year, in Y3, he had the same piece of literaqcy homework for 6 weeks, they just changed the the sounds. It was shockingly poor.

But other pieces are actually quite good, and make for interesting discussion and learning. They vary at DS's school.--it seems to depend massively on the teacher--

Brycie Sun 18-Nov-12 21:51:14

Taffeta I think they often do it because the children don't want to, too tired, aren't interested, whatever. But they don't want their children to get into trouble for not doing it. I've done loads of my children's pointless homework. I tested them on the subject, made sure they knew the facts then went ahead and made the stupid model of, whatever, a plant cell, an oxbow lake, who cares. If they know all about it why make a model? Sadly I usually got a B or worse. I was about as interested in it as they were. Fifteen minute time limit and bob's your uncle.

exoticfruits Sun 18-Nov-12 21:53:29

It isn't your problem. I just said to mine 'fine, don't do it but you explain to Miss X' - since they knew they would be in trouble and have to miss a playtime to catch up they just got on and did it. If you have a teacher who just let's them get away with it my advice won't work- you need a real dragon!

Brycie Sun 18-Nov-12 21:55:10

Yes they shouldn't have to miss playtime. Detention for homework for year 2? The world's gone mad.

exoticfruits Sun 18-Nov-12 21:57:25

I can't say that they would have missed it- they didn't want to be in trouble so they did it. I am talking about juniors- they didn't have ant in the infants.

exoticfruits Sun 18-Nov-12 21:57:51

OP is juniors.

cece Sun 18-Nov-12 21:59:42

I got fed up with the arguments so one day Itold DS1 to put his work back in his back and not to do it. I then wrote a letter to his teacher explaining that he had refused to do it. I got a letter back the next day saying she had spoken to him. He now does his homework.

exoticfruits Sun 18-Nov-12 22:03:14

Exactly cece- it is the DCs problem- they just try and make it yours! Give them ownership and let them take the consequences.

LittleTyga Sun 18-Nov-12 22:07:09

Had this with my eldest - my youngest doesn't need any encouragement! She loves homework! But DD1 would leave it until the last minute and we were all getting stressed until one day I turned around and said look - it's your homework, if you don't do it you're the one in trouble not me and I never mentioned it again - sometimes she does it sometimes she doesn't but whatever she either does it playtime or at home - now we are a sea of calmness in our home smile

3b1g Sun 18-Nov-12 22:31:03

And as for the comments I have to write in all their reading records three times a week...

But maybe I should save that for another thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now