Male primary school teachers.

(82 Posts)
Snowfire Sat 17-Nov-12 19:30:25

I'm a governor at our small (3 mixed year classes) primary school. Four years ago, the three teachers were all older ladies. When the first one retired, she was replaced by a young newly qualified male teacher who really changed the dynamics of the school. The children love him and now four years on, we couldn't imagine not having him in the school!
Last year another teacher announced she was planning to retire so we advertised again for an NQT and had loads of applications. At interview, the best candidate by far was another young man so we then had 2 male teachers.
The lady teacher in the EYFS (R & yr1) has decided to retire at Xmas so we are (once again) recruiting. Short listing yesterday showed only one outstanding candidate who is again male! The HT has met him and says he seems wonderful but this would mean we would have an all male teaching staff. HT is concerned that parents may be put off by this & TBH, I can see what she means but should this be an issue?

realcoalfire Wed 09-Jan-13 11:40:30

When men are good with kids, they are really good.

AThingInYourLife Wed 09-Jan-13 12:35:03

"Given the choice you would be mad not to choose the BEST teacher for your school."

Given the choice you would be breaking the law not to choose the best candidate for the job you advertised.

AThingInYourLife Wed 09-Jan-13 12:36:57

"Given the choice you would be mad not to choose the BEST teacher for your school."

hmm

Yeah, like with cooking.

Women will do, but if you want really high quality in a chef, choose a man.

Hulababy Wed 09-Jan-13 12:48:26

If there is still a mix of genders working with children it's fine I think.
My only concern would be if there was no female teaching staff that girls can go to as they get older, start maturing, maybe set periods etc. I do think girls need a female they can confide in and go to for such circumstances. So long as that aspect is covered then I see no problem.

Hulababy Wed 09-Jan-13 12:52:17

Re periods - I'm talking from the point of view of the child, not the teacher. Many little girls would struggle with seeing a male teacher if they get caught out and need help or supplies.

I would have no problem with all male teachers. I have no idea if this is the same everywhere but at my childrens school if a boy has wet himself or whatever a male member of staff always deals with it - if a girl has a female one does. SO they have male teaching assistants as well as female.

Hulababy Wed 09-Jan-13 17:06:14

I work in am infants and if a little boy has an accident then it is generally still a female member of staff who deals with them. We do have a male teacher and a male TA but they currently work in Y2, so not really something that occurs.

I do think infant is very different to older juniors though, and especially when dealing with the first periods, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now