Left-handed mouse?

(14 Posts)
SlinkyPebbles Wed 21-Nov-12 14:23:28

Can you use these mice with a MAC does anyone know? Are Mice generally interchangeable between systems?

chloe74 Mon 19-Nov-12 20:14:14

Mouse link

My child has used this mouse for several years, its small so fits him, wireless so he can use it in either hand easily (he is left handed). I did look at left handed mice but the problem is when they leave the house they have to use right handed ones so I decided it would be better learning to be ambidextrous in this area.

Also its a good mouse, cheap, I only change the battery onece every several months, it has an off switch and uses a micro transmitter which never needs to be synchronized. Actually I am jealous because its much better than the big clunky one I use lol

SlinkyPebbles Mon 19-Nov-12 19:43:51

Thanks for the advice and tips everyone. I wouldn't mind a look at the logitech please if you do have a link. Reassuring that there is no real need to fret though! Thankyou.

mimbleandlittlemy Mon 19-Nov-12 12:33:19

My left handed brother and ds both use the mouse right handed with the right handed settings. As DeWe says it makes it much easier if you have to hot desk or use a public computer or anything like that.

nlondondad Mon 19-Nov-12 09:53:31

I use a logitech tracker ball; and actually I would strongly recommend tracker balls instead of mice as it vastly reduces any risk of RSI.

Also it requires much less space on your table top, and its easier for people with short arms. The one I use "trackman" is "ambidextrous" (as I am) and therefore can be used easily by either hand.

I can post a link to the Logitech siet if anyone needs it.

DeWe Sat 17-Nov-12 21:39:46

We used a trackball mouse for dd1 when she was 2-4yo. However we used a normal mouse for dd2 and ds and they had no problems using a "adult" mouse as well as dd1 did at the same age.

I wouldn't advise getting a child used to using a left hand mouse. Otherwise they're going to have to set one up every time they want to use a computer (eg at the library, at school, at their friend's house to play a game...)

We were offered a one-handed keyboard for dd2 (she's only got one hand). We took advice and decided against because people who had got used to using one, found it really hard when out using a standard one.
We felt that in the end it would disadvantage her. She has no problems using a normal keyboard now, might have made it slightly easier when she was first using it, but it hadn't caused a problem in the long run.

Snorbs Fri 16-Nov-12 22:49:57

I'm left-handed and use the mouse in my left hand. You can swap the buttons round in the mouse settings but I've never bothered. I'd have to remember that when the instructions said "right-click" I'd actually have to left-click and that would end up annoying me. I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Some mice are specifically designed to only fit right hands. Most are ambidextrous.

madwomanintheattic Fri 16-Nov-12 22:35:14

Dd2 is left handed due to brain damage. She uses a regular mouse, but we don't bother to change the settings.... blush it's easy enough to do, but she manages somehow...

radicalsubstitution Fri 16-Nov-12 22:20:19

DH got DS a 'netbook' or 'laptop' mouse. It is just that bit smaller than a regular mouse, but he was 3 when he started using it!

Left/right handed function is controlled through Windows settings.

You can get child friendly mice, eg a ladybird, but I don't see the point of them. A small mouse would be more useful. I'm left handed and I just put the mouse on the left hand side of the computer.

YDdraigGoch Fri 16-Nov-12 22:18:05

You can change any mouse to a left handed mouse in settings

Myliferocks Fri 16-Nov-12 22:16:34

My left handed children use a normal adult size mouse with their right hands.

Beamur Fri 16-Nov-12 22:14:30

My DD can handle an adult sized one of (she's 5) - would changing the setting from left to right for the clicks help? (This was my former boss' favourite Aprils fools trick..)

SlinkyPebbles Fri 16-Nov-12 22:12:42

DD has just started school and some homework is computer based. Is there such a thing as a child - friendly mouse? She's also left-handed - will I need a special one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now