Overnight residential trips...

(12 Posts)
BleepyBloop Fri 16-Nov-12 21:54:25

My DS class (Year 2) will be doing an overnight visit to a local historical home. The place is close enough to do it as a day visit but the school has chosen to make it an overnight trip. Neither my husband nor myself are comfortable with the idea of sending off our 6yo on this overnight trip. We don't even know who, besides the teacher, will be chaperoning the children hmm. As far as we know this trip is not compulsory. How do we say "no" without having an argument with the school? Ideas?

Euphemia Fri 16-Nov-12 21:59:28

What are your concerns? It sounds like a lovely trip.

I've been away three times with Rainbows (5- and 6-year olds) overnight and they have a wonderful time.

If you don't know which adults are going, why don't you ask?!

Nuttyprofessor Fri 16-Nov-12 22:00:48

There is no argument if you wish to say no say no.

I'm sure they won't have asked for volunteers from the local bail hostel to act as chaperones!

Why don't you find out more about it before you decide? It sounds lovely, and your DS might be the only one missing out.

piprabbit Fri 16-Nov-12 22:12:39

I would expect the school to hold a meeting for parents so you can find out more and get these sorts of questions answered. The chaperones will probably be teachers and staff, who are giving up their evening to give the children a very special experience.

But nobody is going to force your child to go.

radicalsubstitution Fri 16-Nov-12 22:14:51

Bleepybloop, no disrespect, but have you ever seen an LEA residential trip risk assessment form?

Trust me, these are not trips that schools are likely to be flippant about.

The students will, almost certainly, only be accompanied overnight by members of staff or trusted/vetted/approved members of staff at the centre involved.

That being said, you are under no obligation to send DC.

BleepyBloop Fri 16-Nov-12 23:10:11

All right. It sounds like we are the only ones who think 6yo is a bit young for an overnight trip. I do not think the school is beig flippant about the trip but my DS sometimes can't even remember what he had for lunch in school. I am not sure he would be able to tell me with great details if something happens to him. Yesterday when I picked him up from school I found he had a split lip and a bruised nose. He said that little xyz girl from another class and not a friend of him or anything had chased him around in the playground and pushed him down hard. When I asked the teacher about it she said, "Oh, yes, he fell down".

seeker Fri 16-Nov-12 23:13:46

What d you think might happen to him?

YDdraigGoch Fri 16-Nov-12 23:14:09

I really wouldn't worry. They will have a great adventure. They sleep over with Rainbows at that age all the time.
That said, if you don't want DC to go, then don't give your permission.
But I'd suggest discussing the agenda ane arrangements with the school to help you make your mind up.

YDdraigGoch Fri 16-Nov-12 23:16:35

We're doing a two nighter with our Brownies next month. Some if them are only just turned 7. They love it - 30 girls in one bedroom!

BleepyBloop Fri 16-Nov-12 23:24:06

Thank you for your input. We will talk to the school. Get some facts and think things through.

YDdraigGoch Fri 16-Nov-12 23:28:47

Just be prepared for DS to come home unwashed with tangled hair and the same underwear that he left home in! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now