High frequency words, reading in Y1

(29 Posts)
Minimaxkids Wed 14-Nov-12 18:36:07

My DD has a word book where new words are added weekly to learn by sight.
It's an old list of words which I have seen linked to on here before. There were 44 words in YR and another 113 words Y1&2

She gets 6 or so words a week to learn. But she doesn't need to learn them, she is just reading them. It all seems a bit pointless and the word book, if it is a sight book (clearly defined by teacher in front), shouldn't it contain words to learn not read? (I know that sounds all muddled up).

My question is, what sort of words follow on in years 3 and 4 as she has now 'read' all the YR, 1 & 2 words?

learnandsay Fri 16-Nov-12 19:48:12

I'm not going to show that word to my daughter. I don't think she's likely to come across it for a couple of years unless someone makes a point of showing it to her. But if she sounded out n-a-r-a-t-o-r instead of naraytor, (at the age of four) I'd be inclined to leave her to it. If she did it when she was older I'd probably tell her that's not how it's pronounced.

mrz Fri 16-Nov-12 19:53:01

Why would you expect anyone to be able to pronounce a word they have never met before (heard spoken) correctly hmm

choccyp1g Fri 16-Nov-12 19:57:12

Don't most reception children come across the (spoken) word narrator when practising their first Christmas play?

mrz Fri 16-Nov-12 22:02:08

Yes I think most children will be aware of the word narrator from preschool/nursery/reception.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now