8yo has to start business - alone

(57 Posts)
notimetoshop Sat 13-Oct-12 23:23:55

I almost put this on aibu but....
My Y3 is doing some entrepreneur education, to raise money for charity.
So far, fine.
But she has been given £1 and told to go away and do it.
I was 'well the school will set up little stalls for you and invite parents in' etc. But no. They are expected to go and invest the money (£1?) and bring back a return. Apart from telling us it's probably not a good idea to start selling stuff on high street and 'try and include people outside family' that's really it.
I'm thinking well I'll just have to make cakes and sell them at work - but I can't see how that's going to be v educational for her at all. What would you do?

midseasonsale Fri 19-Oct-12 20:54:59

Get them to design and make some Xmas cards.

midseasonsale Fri 19-Oct-12 20:57:19

Felt Xmas doves for Xmas tree decorations?

zipzap Fri 19-Oct-12 21:08:46

Poundland here had boxes of 20 glowstick bracelets in for a pound.

Buy one and sell them all to her friends at school for 20p each. Make 15p profit on each one.

Persuade you to invest in several boxes of glowsticks - negotiate a minimal fee for lending her £4 so she can buy 5 boxes of glowsticks and then sell them at the school firework event (do they have one?) or christmas event.

I know at our infant school christmas bash they buy in job lots of glowsticks and sell them for about 40p each. Kids seem to go mad for them, especially when it's dark so think they would do really well at a fireworks night!

Say you were to take a 5p cut per £1 she borrowed from you, just thinking that say she were to do it for the firework party (our school one is next week) then she only has a limited opportunity to sell the bracelets thus needs to buy more to start with rather than being able to go back and get more if there is big demand.

Alternatively look on ebay (or in the pound shop) for things that sell in big quantities for a pound or two - like erasers or hair bobbles or biros - then sell them on to friends.

zipzap Fri 19-Oct-12 21:11:14

What's the time she's got available to do this - what she can do if she has got a week or two is very different from if she has to hand the money back in by christmas or easter or the end of the summer term...

sproingle Sat 20-Oct-12 22:16:12

I did this in year 4. Mind you I got £1 then and that was in the early 80s so a loan for stock could be a good idea.

I bought cheap soap and wrapped it in material with a ribbon and sold for about 4x cost.
I bought cheep bath oil beads and put in little bags and sold at profit.
I made lavender bags and filled with lavender from my garden - again sold for a lot more than it cost to make.
We had lots of old ladies in the street - I was sent a few houses up/down my road without supervision and told not to go inside any house but mum was watching from our gate so she knew roughly which house I was at.

Must have turned £1 into £20 without too much effort.

Ruprekt Sun 21-Oct-12 13:44:25

A friend of mine made onion bhajis with her dd and sold them in the staffroom.

As she sold them she had more money to make more.

Made about £100 I think and as a school with each child having £1 school made £4000!

alphabite Sun 21-Oct-12 15:48:19

Haven't read the whole thread so not sure if this has already been suggested but they could make reindeer food. You should be able to make a few bags for £1. Just need a few envelopes, porridge oats and glitter. They could do some xmas drawings on the envelopes or make labels. Then reinvest on more stuff when you've sold the first few bags. 50p each?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now