Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Cumnor or Caterham

(3 Posts)
Wiseone01 Fri 12-Oct-12 18:28:12

Anyone know much about these schools? Facilities for pre-prep? how good each is from personal experience? I'm not really sure what I need to be considering, new to this. But need to start looking for schools for my 3yr old son.

Ladymuck Sat 13-Oct-12 11:20:23

I would definitely book a visit at both and have a look round. Teachers and boys transfer between the schools - the current head of preprep at Caterham taught reception at Cumnor previously. Caterham prep obviously prep you for their senior school, Cumnor want you to stay until 13, so if you are looking to move to say Whitgift at 11 you would have to arrange preparation yourself in either case. Facilities wise I think Caterham has the edge, but sportswise Cumnor has 60 boys per year, Caterham around 25 boys, so the Cumnor rugby A team will usually do better than the Caterham A team. The other side of the coin is that you have a 1 in 5 chance of being on the rugby A team at Cumnor, but 1 in 2 at Caterham. A very able competitive boy will thrive at Cumnor, but there are fewer opportunities for all (though the school has tried to address this). Music good at both. The teaching at Caterham seems to prepare them for senior school at 11 better, so more project work, work on presentations, being able to present to the class, touch typing etc.

Both are good schools. The obvious difference is that one is co-ed! Cumnor also have a largish cohort of Asian families which can affect the social dynamics. It is usually possible to change school if you feel it isn't working for you, so don't feel that you have to know your 15 year plan just yet! The schools are a fair way apart so do bear the school run in mind. Do go and check out both Cumnor sites as the parking in Pampisford Road is truly nightmarish at present!

Drhoney Wed 23-Apr-14 09:56:34

Hi anyone have any recent insight into Caterham prep ? My son is starting in reception this sept so any further input would be very useful ! Thanks in advance !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now