MGS assessment day

(29 Posts)
calc30 Wed 10-Oct-12 20:26:37

Hi,

My six year old has his assessment day for year 3 admission to MGS in a few weeks. He's worked through some of the material from the bond books. Was wondering what actually happens on these assessment days? Does anyone have any direct experience?

Thanks

rimi01 Sat 22-Mar-14 21:10:49

Hi, I am not sure if anyone will read this thread...but my DS has also secured a place in Year 6 at MGS ( yippi, this is our 2nd attempt).
Please can anyone share their experiences about travelling on school coach (Altrincham)
Also, I want to know if boys are allowed to carry a mobile?
Thanks for your help

capthaddock Tue 28-Jan-14 13:23:49

Yes, I've been told there's typically only one per year in the junior school. But a lot more in the senior school of course - more than 240 altogether.

picollino Tue 28-Jan-14 13:04:23

Good news here too! Not sure if it is true, but I heard over 100 children applied for bursary among all the applicants. But only one or two gets a bursary.

swg4 Tue 28-Jan-14 10:59:08

Hi does anyone know of transport to Manchester Grammar from oldham, or any people wanting to share the school run, as this is the only thing holding us back from starting next year in year 3

purplishclouds Sat 25-Jan-14 15:59:38

This was us last year ! Congratulations and well done to your ds's. Fingers crossed for those still waiting .

Joy101 Sat 25-Jan-14 13:57:33

Hello good news here too! Did anyone apply for bursary??

capthaddock Sat 25-Jan-14 12:58:04

Hi Joy101, yes we got the response by post today. You should have heard today either way! Good news here...

Joy101 Sat 25-Jan-14 12:31:59

Hi has anyone heard back for the y3 mgs admissions??

Naseemyasin01 Thu 16-Jan-14 22:49:06

My son is on countdown...

capthaddock Thu 16-Jan-14 15:54:18

Yes, we got the request for the school report this week as well. Not sure why they didn't request a report from the school directly.

Naseemyasin01 Thu 16-Jan-14 15:02:55

Hi I'm waiting for results, got a request to send latest school report, anyone else been asked?

capthaddock Mon 13-Jan-14 12:01:03

Maybe time to reanimate this thread for 2014... anyone else on tenterhooks waiting for news of year 3 admission? Anyone already heard, either way?

purplishclouds Sat 26-Jan-13 13:14:42

Hurray all round . Such relief ! A few friends still waiting to hear back . The wait is tedious !

calc30 Sat 26-Jan-13 13:00:43

My DS also got a place. Hooray all round.

bipbop10 Sat 26-Jan-13 12:30:40

Offered a place. So happy!

purplishclouds Sat 26-Jan-13 12:00:45

Good news here . Anyone else ?

calc30 Fri 25-Jan-13 21:37:16

That's terrible and I can understand why you're upset. I think that I too would've panicked. I think that his performance at the assessment day will ultimately determine his success at securing a place not the head teacher's reference. The head teacher has only gone and made himself look bad and I'm sure it doesn't reflect poorly on your child at all.

Fingers crossed

purplishclouds Fri 25-Jan-13 20:36:02

Try not to panic and let's hope for the best.

bipbop10 Fri 25-Jan-13 19:27:12

I was asking the secretary about how much notice I needed to give if I wanted to move schools and the headmaster overheard the conversation and came over. He then enquired about the assessment day at MGS and if I had heard a response. I replied no and then he said he couldn't remember if he'd sent a reference or not- i think my answer was along the lines of ' what?!?' Then he said he probably hadn't and smiled.
Whether my son gets a place at MGS or not, I can't trust the headmaster and will remove my son from the school as soon as I can.

purplishclouds Fri 25-Jan-13 18:55:18

Oh dear, I'll be upset too . My son's head teacher sent his reference before Christmas . I don't really think it should affect his chances though . I would expect his performance on the assessment day should be the main determinant .
How did you find out about the reference , if you don't mind me asking

bipbop10 Fri 25-Jan-13 18:43:11

I was so upset I didn't push it further. Just left feeling utterly numb! Bawled my eyes out once I got back in my car. Many children have left the school as standards have slipped and many parents (myself included) are dissatisfied with the teaching.

sausagesandwich34 Fri 25-Jan-13 17:32:46

why would the head not provide a reference?

I would have steam coming out of my ears if I were you

bipbop10 Fri 25-Jan-13 17:30:31

Hi, just found out today that the Headmaster at my son's current school did not provide a reference (which is part of the MGS assessment process). I'm really upset as I feel that this may have scuppered my son's chances of getting a place.
Guess I'll have to wait anxiously now til tomorrow to see if it really has had a disastrous impact on my son's chances.

bipbop10 Thu 24-Jan-13 21:47:27

Hi, I contacted the school, offers being sent out tomorrow by first class post. Theoretically should receive response on Saturday at the earliest.

Good luck to all

purplishclouds Thu 24-Jan-13 20:31:41

Hi,
We are also waiting to hear back from MGS . I' ve heard we will hear from them the week of 28th Jan

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now