4+ assessment over today now 2 weeks wait for result

(32 Posts)
Blossom8 Thu 04-Oct-12 19:59:44

2 years in the waiting and cannot believe it's done and dusted today. Now the anxious wait to see if DD has got in. Am fairly confident she did well.

Apparently she was asked to name shapes such as rectangle, right triangle, circle and ...... paralleogram (yes for a 3 year old! and I don't think I can even spell it!). Listened to 2 stories, did some drawings and she managed to write her name on her piece of work. I'm proud of her.

RiversideMum Wed 31-Oct-12 07:51:06

I'm sure there are schools out there that celebrate the fact that the children are 3 and 4 and let them be 3 and 4 and do 3 and 4 year old things.

givemeaclue Wed 31-Oct-12 08:37:39

We are in bristol. Lots of private schools and I have never heard of anyone not getting a place at their selected school at this age.

uoYekorByMredluomS Wed 31-Oct-12 08:40:03

I would agree that these sort of schools and looking for three things a lot of the time: am Autumn birthday, a confident child and the right sort of parents. Don't worry OP. I think selection at this age is ridiculous.

Blossom8 Wed 31-Oct-12 10:30:14

I do agree that it is crazy to assess 3 year olds and even more crazy that some parents actually tutor their kids for 4+ assessments. We chose private as our DD is bright but shy and we felt that smaller classes may suit her better and help her become more confident. I am still waiting to hear back from the school regarding some feedback on her performance but the fact that it's been nearly 3 weeks and no call has not left me with a good impression.

Farewelltoarms Wed 31-Oct-12 19:31:33

This is going to sound really patronising (and it probably actually is patronising so apologies) but every parent I've ever met thinks their first born is both sensitive and bright. And consequently if they can afford private, many of them opt for it because they feel the smaller classes etc will benefit them. But really honestly most children aren't more sensitive or bright than the norm and equally state schools can hardly have no sensitive or bright children in them. I don't want to turn this into a state v private thing, but please don't dismiss your state school on these grounds. I know a child who was selectively mute in a posh pre-prep, who blossomed in the 30 kids in a class atmosphere of a state reception. She found the hustle and bustle liberating after the intensity of a small school.

Blossom8 Wed 31-Oct-12 19:41:13

no need to apologise Farewelltoarms. Each opinion to their own. I have not dismissed state options but the ones round my way is not that great. Of course, if I had an outstanding state school in my catchment area, I would have no hesitation sending my DD there. This would have been my first option as it would save me thousands.

MarshmallowFarm Wed 31-Oct-12 19:52:12

For what it's worth I failed to get into a top selective school at 4+ and 7+ but breezed in at 11+ (with no tutoring) and went on to do well academically.

Some children just don't show the school what they want to see in the way in which they are expected to show it (by the school in question) at 4 or even 7, for all sorts of reasons.

It doesn't mean very much at all at this age, other than that this school probably isn't the best fit for DD at the moment. Good luck with the Catholic prep!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now