Do Reading Eggs use 'Pure phonics'?

(8 Posts)
birdseed Wed 03-Oct-12 22:03:46

Are reading eggs a pure phonics type programme? do they start with 3 letter words that you can read from the early phonic sounds learnt?

I really hadn't planned on working on reading at home with DS but reception are sending home books that just seem too hard to sound out phonically and I don't want him to be put off, so I was looking at reading eggs, but I don't want to spend the money subscribing to find that it isn't the sort of thing I was after.

Can anyone help?

It starts with very simple phonics then 3 letter blendable words, it also works alot with rhymes. There are lots of free trial codes about.

Have a look at ORT they have e-books at all levels, games and prinable sheets. It may tie in better with the system they are using at school.

Rosebud05 Wed 03-Oct-12 22:33:21

I'd speak to his teacher to find out what phonics scheme they're using to start with and their take on the books that are getting sent home before parting with any cash tbh.

See if your library has any purely decodable books ie Songbird phonics, Floppy's phonics and www.oxfordowl.co.uk/ is often recommended on MN.

HTH.

Haberdashery Thu 04-Oct-12 14:48:14

I got a free trial code recently, for four free weeks. It's UKD23RAF if you want to try it. It says I can forward the email to as many people as I want so anyone else can try it too if they like.

mrz Thu 04-Oct-12 17:41:47

No Reading Eggs isn't "pure" synthetic phonics.

beezmum Fri 05-Oct-12 21:26:09

Reading eggs tends to use words that can be decoded but many of the tasks are to encourage the child to recognise these words as wholes when the child is unlikely to be 'sounding out' comfortably yet. I realised my ds was having to use guessing from first letters etc to manage the tasks and was actually going backwards with his blending, so I stopped using it.

beezmum Fri 05-Oct-12 21:30:46

Starfall.com is good but not a programme. I used decodable reading books at home instead of he school books.

mrz Sat 06-Oct-12 20:44:48

Reading eggs uses analytic phonics and sight words.
Starfall contains lots of inaccuracies and the accent makes it difficult for children to learn how to say pure sounds. We bought in another American programme for school and staff have to translate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now