Does this school exist - reality check needed?

(24 Posts)
dreamit Mon 01-Oct-12 09:56:38

Does anyone know if this school exists? confused

Primary school within 2 hours of London commute (more than 200 pupils);

Modern and bright building, large open grassy grounds;

Ofsted outstanding; extremely high Key Stage 2 performance results;

Near a highly reputed secondary school;

In a really really lovely area which is a great place to live.

Or am I kidding myself? If so, please give me a kick and I will take a reality check blush

I'd say there are plenty of those in Leicestershire (1-1.5hr train journey) where I live - though they have a stupid middle school system for Years 7-9 then change again for Yrs 10-13, but other than that, plenty of the primary schools round here fit that category - am slightly confused as to why the number of pupils and how modern the building is are such important factors to you, but each to their own!

dotty2 Mon 01-Oct-12 10:03:26

There are plenty of schools in our area like that (east mids on a County border with Lincs grammar schools/good Notts comprehensives as secondary options). But Ofsted outstanding/results/'high repute' don't necessarily make a great school - and certainly not necessarily the right school for your DCs. You need to be prepared to think a bit less literally to find the place that's right for you all. Good luck.

BertieBotts Mon 01-Oct-12 10:06:07

I can think of one in Warwick but the buildings aren't modern - half Victorian, half ~60s (?) but well maintained and not cramped.

Can commute from Leamington Spa to London in under 2 hours as it's on the main line.

It's near two separate girls/boys private schools, there's a grammar in nearby Stratford, and a very good reputation state secondary (it has good links with this school)

Plus it's my old school and I loved it grin

flossyfloo Mon 01-Oct-12 10:09:01

My DC's school in Cardiff ticks pretty much all your boxes. They don't do Sats In Wales any more but it gets good results across the curriculum. PM me if you want more details.

flossyfloo Mon 01-Oct-12 10:10:26

Actually, if the modern building criteria is a bit flexible, there are a few schools in Cardiff that tick the boxes.

Floralnomad Mon 01-Oct-12 10:12:25

Tonbridge/ Maidstone areas of Kent

dreamit Mon 01-Oct-12 10:32:15

Thanks everyone. So perhaps they do exist. Any names to throw at me? Bertie, could you name your school? Thanks!!!

BertieBotts Mon 01-Oct-12 12:50:07

Coten End

RosemaryandThyme Mon 01-Oct-12 12:55:12

None in Hampshire that tick all the boxes, many that have some of the cirteria.

Why the 200 plus ?

TalkinPeace2 Mon 01-Oct-12 13:05:45

Romsey / Winchester / Salisbury / Ringwood / Lymington / Chichester / Petersfield

jo164 Mon 01-Oct-12 13:16:44

How about Saltford C of E school - its about 10 mins West of Bath. Feeds into Wellsway school in Keynsham, which is an outstanding secondary comprehensive. Buildings not modern though, otherwise fits all the other clauses I think! Or Chandag Juniors is right next to Wellsway in Keynsham - more facilities in Keynsham, but Saltford seems to be a more desirable place to live - probably as its closer to Bath.

LittleFrieda Mon 01-Oct-12 13:24:15

Harpenden. 25 mins from St Pancras. Primaries (among others) Roundwood Primary school, Woodend Primary, Crabtree Primary, Manland Primary, Secondaries, St George's School, Roundwood Park, Sir John Lawes

dreamit Mon 01-Oct-12 13:50:41

Thanks everyone, and especially for the names. Will have a little look. TalkinPeace2 - that's what I thought - that the areas you state would have these. But I can't find a single school which ticked all the boxes; certainly Winchester and Ringwood/Lymington. I was quite disappointed by the schools in Winchester, and the schools in Ringwood and Lymington again failed to tick everything. Yes, I know my wish list is probably unrealistic - that's why I asked. And yes, I have put on a couple of strange prerequisites - the bright, modern school comes from my son desperately trying to avoid the gloomy school he went to and I pulled him out. And the larger school is important to me for the vibe I find missing when I look at smaller schools. Anyway, thank you. Some homework for me tonight : ))

missyPlumcake Thu 04-Oct-12 22:40:00

St Mary's Primary in Pulborough could tick all your boxes. Has outstanding OFSTED, beautiful grassy school grounds with school veggie patch and orchard, reception garden and outdoor living willow classrooms. The size is perfect with enough children to have lots of school clubs but not so big that the teachers don't know every child in the school by name. Senior school has great results and London Bridge/Victoria are about an hour by train.

Biscuitsneeded Fri 05-Oct-12 17:38:35

Milton Road Primary, Cambridge. New buildings built in 2007. Lots of space. Ofsted outstanding. Very, very motivated and committed parents (sometimes a bit too much so!). Good KS2 results. 50 mins to London on the train (although school not very near the station). Nearest secondary rated good, all parents like it, improving fast. 60 kids per year, reception through to Y6. HTH.

Biscuitsneeded Fri 05-Oct-12 17:38:55

Milton Road Primary, Cambridge. New buildings built in 2007. Lots of space. Ofsted outstanding. Very, very motivated and committed parents (sometimes a bit too much so!). Good KS2 results. 50 mins to London on the train (although school not very near the station). Nearest secondary rated good, all parents like it, improving fast. 60 kids per year, reception through to Y6. HTH.

Well, I'm in Chichester, which has Jesse Younghusband primary school and Bishop Luffa C of E secondary. Both outstanding OFSTED. Entrance is fierce though - for Luffa you really need to go to church 3/4 weeks for 2 years before application.

Agree with Buiscuitsneeded, although I would expand on that and say almost any primary school in Cambridge would tick most of your boxes. St. Matthews is very good with new modern building, Abbey Meadows is also quite an amazing school, very modern and spacious as they are only half capacity at the moment, a dedicated head.

The primary school in Comberton is very good and is a feeder for Comberton Village College which is very very good.

Cottenham primary school also very good.

I do wonder how you are judging all the schools, are you just reading their Ofsted reports or are you visiting them?

kittenspjs Fri 05-Oct-12 17:58:38

Is a school like that , but actually IN London out of the picture?

whistlestopcafe Fri 05-Oct-12 18:01:12

You have a very specific criteria, being that particular means that you are likely to be disappointed. Does it really have to have 200+ pupils? Victorian buildings can be lovely too!

ISingSoprano Fri 05-Oct-12 18:07:07

Alresford in Hampshire has Sun Hill Infant and Junior schools (separate but on same site). Feed into Perins.

eimmum Sat 06-Oct-12 00:54:48

Appleton thorn primary in Warrington. Outstanding school 200 pupils, modern building, loads of extra curricular activities, modern foreign language teaching in every year veg patch, large playing fields in village location. Above average level 5 results but very inclusive school Feeder school to outstanding secondary which has an amazing curriculum. Warrington 1hr50 min direct to euston.

RiversideMum Sat 06-Oct-12 07:30:42

I think you could find this in almost any direction out of London. I wouldn't get too obsessed with the Ofsted outstanding TBH - it's getting more and more indicative of outstanding box-ticking and hoop-jumping than anything else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now