Dunottar, hawthorns, or Croydon high

(12 Posts)
Bellie Mon 08-Oct-12 11:41:22

Hi 123littlepigs

My daughter has been there for 5 years now since nursery and is still in the prep. She loves it.
I would say that it does not have the same 100% results as some of the schools in the area, but this year every girl who took A levels reached their first choice university - which I think is every bit as good as 100% A*. Dunottar is about the girls reaching their potential rather than 'hot housing' them.
The staff have changed in the prep school over the past 2 years, but in my opinion they have improved the quality of the teachers, and now have a much more diverse team in place (just think that you wouldn't have the same people in an office environment for ever!)
They also offer a wide range of extra-curricular activities on top of the normal music, sports etc - drama, fencing, cross country, yoga, science, art

The classes in the prep are small, but are still differentiated into small work groups for different levels. Official setting starts in year 7.

They do prepare the girls for different entrance exams - most stay for the senior at Dunottar, but there are girls who have gone to Reigate Grammar, Caterham, Box Hill etc.

I love the community feel at Dunottar, but I guess with any school there will be parents that you like and don't like. As it is a small school you get to know most of the parents and you're not restricted to just your year group.

HTH - you will have to wear a distinctive mn sign if you go to the November open day - I may well see you!

ThisisaSignofthetimes Sun 07-Oct-12 21:56:32

Dunottar is not very academic. The exam results aren't particularly impressive against other senior schools in the area, however some of these schools are far more selective so it's difficult to really compare.
It has a good reputation for music and will prepare for it's own entrance exam and if you express an intention to sit other senior school exams will give you past papers for the relevant schools. It is a small school and the numbers in the junior school in some years have been low, there is small and then there is too small for you DD to have many friends!
If you are looking in that area also consider Micklefield and Reigate St Marys. both send fair numbers to Reigate Grammar, Caterham etc. Although attendance at Reigate St Marys is no longer the guarantee of a place at the Grammar that it once was.
Have a couple of friends with DC's at Hawthorns and they love it.

123littlepigs Sun 07-Oct-12 21:28:21

Ha ha ...Just realised answer to the last question clearly a girl.... Lol x

123littlepigs Sun 07-Oct-12 21:26:52

Arrh Bellie great to hear from a parent actually at the school. Missed the last open day so planning to visit in November.

Can you let me know if it is very academic or middle of the road but still above average. And do they set by ability at all and if so, at what age/year does this happen?

Are the staff fairly stable or do new staff rotate in and out regularly?

What sought of schools do the children tend to go onto and do they properly prep for grammar schools?

Is there a fairly varied range of backgrounds and does it have a real community environment among the parents?

Do you have a boy or girl at the school and did they start from reception? Any info GREATLY appreciated.... And so sorry for the zillion and one questions smile.

Bellie Sun 07-Oct-12 18:22:24

Only just seen this thread. I have a daughter at Dunottar if you want any further info.
Great school, small class sizes, excellent facilities as they share them with the senior school and a lovely feel to the school.

SlinkyPebbles Thu 20-Sep-12 22:17:17

It's in Oxted and is a mixed prep school. They go to 13. Amazing facilities and grounds. I think the open day is coming up in October.

123littlepigs Thu 20-Sep-12 08:53:18

Hi SlinkyP, no I haven't heard of this school. Can you give me more info on this?
Did your DC go? How are they academically? Is it mixed or single sexed?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

SlinkyPebbles Wed 19-Sep-12 21:10:06

I'm not sure where you live, but have you looked at Hazelwood too?

123littlepigs Wed 19-Sep-12 20:45:33

Hi Elevensie, thanks for the info but have looked at both essendene and Caterham and really didn't like. Have seen these 3 schools online and just wanted some imput on them before going to see them....

Anyone else?

Elevensies Wed 19-Sep-12 09:31:15

That's a wide range of schools in terms of distance and fees I think.

Have you thought about essendene, Caterham, Oakhyrst ? I have some experience of these three - essendene have no on site sports facilities/field etc - Caterham is v good but once in pre prep you have no guarantee of a space come juniors so a lot of Pressure on little ones - Oakhyrst is very small has excellent pastoral care and a good reputation for music (also cute uniform).

123littlepigs Tue 18-Sep-12 22:03:06

Oh... Interested in the prep/pre prep!

123littlepigs Tue 18-Sep-12 22:01:13

Any info on these schools greatly appreciated....which do you like... Pros and cons of all three please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now