Advise on good primary schools in Cornwall

(18 Posts)
Jessro Thu 22-Nov-12 16:25:48

You can have a look online - the website is www.roselyonschool.com. It's a lovely place - just like the house you always wanted surrounded by woodland.

Jessro Thu 22-Nov-12 12:27:19

My children have all been to Roselyon and we have been absolutely delighted with it. It's small and you get to meet the teachers every evening so you really feel close to what's going on. My daughter is in a class of 10 - so I feel her education is personally tailored. Love the clubs - and the science teacher is really old school - all explosions and learning through doing.

mrs360 Thu 22-Nov-12 11:47:03

Can anyone give me some feedback on Roselyon School / Prep? I live in South East Cornwall and I'm seriously considering moving my daughter of nearly 7yrs to an independent and Roselyon's name keeps popping up. much appreciate any advice help. BTW I want to move my daughter as she is quite bright but seems to be constantly used as a classroom assistant and encouraged to help other children who are struggling in a large class of 25 (two years combined together). I just don't feel the balance is right and she is not being challenged and even says that school work is easy and recently now boring!!! much appreciate any feedback. thanks

CharlieFarlie76 Wed 21-Nov-12 20:29:46

Your seven year old would be one of a year group of 8 and class of 18 at www.quethiock.cornwall.sch.uk
Fantastic school! My daughter is 7 and LOVES it!

CharlieFarlie76 Wed 21-Nov-12 20:27:17

Quethiock is a wonderful school! Thoroughly recommend! www.quethiock.cornwall.sch.uk Open Day Tuesday 27th 1.30- 3.30, tea party, meet staff children and governors...bring favourite bear!

CharlieFarlie76 Wed 21-Nov-12 20:24:13

Quethiock C of E VA School is lovely! Excellent teaching, beautiful grounds, lovely children, small class sizes, soooo friendly. Has rapidly improved standards over last 2 years/and key stage2 children got 100% in Maths and English SATS! Open afternoon on Tuesday 27th November. 1.30-3.30......intro from staff and children, shared story time, performance of their specially written school song by school choir and teddy bears tea party. www.quethiock.cornwall.sch.uk 01579 343588 Do call and have a visit...it is worth the look! For more info, Charlie 07577770009

berry1234 Thu 12-Jul-12 15:20:01

Moving to Cornwall for a new job- north coast. Any primary schools and places to live people love? Two girls reception and year 1. Thanks

BlackBobBorderBinLiner Wed 18-Jan-12 20:24:53

If you decide the south/north commute is too scary, then look along the North Coast. Padstow & Port Isaac are in my opinion, second home owner ghost towns. Bude and the surronding area have several out standing primaries and a good 'community' feel. Only one choice at secondary at the moment, free school at planning stage for 2013.

sleepevader Mon 16-Jan-12 02:56:48

There are very few bad schools in that area. The whole school debate doesn't happen down here. Just done primary admissions. Choice of two - both good. Gone for the one with better parking and leadt playground politics. My stepchildren are at one of the county's best. I'm
Not naive and think holding that status has it's faults.

And i agree par to newquay may be hellish in summer!

RillaBlythe Sun 15-Jan-12 20:22:08

Commuting to Newquay from Fowey/Looe area is what I would call a serious commute. Horses for courses on that one I suppose.

BerryLellow Sun 15-Jan-12 08:40:36

Just bear in mind that commutable in cornwall is very different to anywhere else. What looks like a short distance can take an absolute age, especially in summer, especially near Newquay. Although there's a station, it's quite often hit with rail replacement busses and then you're just back on the roads with everyone else.

Busy67 Wed 11-Jan-12 20:33:11

hi, we are thinking of the south coast, Fowley / Par / Looe area. I'll be working in Newquay so anywhere commutable to there really.

Busy67 Wed 11-Jan-12 20:32:03

thanks so much, I'll take a look at the one's you mentioned.

Divawithattitude Sun 08-Jan-12 13:29:22

Tredwidland has just had the best results for SATS but that means nothing really, I would find a village that you like then look at the local school, Quethiock, St Neot are both very nice village schools, much more important is where they go next, down here there is often very little choice as distances are so big between schools.

If you are in commuting distance to Plymouth there is the option of 11+ and grammar schools.

BerryLellow Sun 08-Jan-12 08:31:32

To be honest there aren't any bad primaries in cornwall that I know of. Saying that the in town ones are better is somewhat misleading though, as many of the village ones are oversubscribed due to outstanding ofstead status. I'd look at secondary catchment alongside the area you fancy and then the primary will probably easier to find.

jassinkernow Thu 05-Jan-12 11:49:54

We are in the Truro/Falmouth area of South cornwall and there are lots of good schools. The better small in-town schools don't always have places (the school my DD attends was oversubscibed this year and has a waiting list), but afaik the village schools tend not to be full. Depending on where you're moving from, you might find it's a smaller issue than you were expecting (we moved to cornwall from central london and couldn't quite believe that basically virtually everyone seems to end up in a school they're happy with here).

WheresTheCat Wed 04-Jan-12 09:38:44

Cornwall's a big place - do you mean anywhere in Cornwall - or South and North Coast in North Cornwall/mid etc etc

Busy67 Mon 02-Jan-12 14:31:18

Hi, can anyone reccomend good and ideally smallish primary schools in Cornwall, we will be moving there in April and are open to north or South coast. We will move to which ever area has the best schools for our 6 and 7 year old. Any advise gratefully taken. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now