Wellow House (Notts area)

(10 Posts)
PinguFanatic Sat 29-Oct-11 08:48:47

Considering this school for our eldest boy to start in reception next September. Does anyone have any views on the school, ideally reasonably recent as I understand the school has changed quite a lot over the 40 years it's been open.

100lilgreen Sat 29-Oct-11 11:12:58

It is an absolutely lovely school. A few more to consider are Salterford House and Ranby House (prep school to Worksop). But WH is def worth considering!

PinguFanatic Sat 29-Oct-11 12:26:38

Thanks, I'll take a look at those as well. I fell in love with Wellow but we don't want to do Worksop after, some bad history there with us.
I'm still undecided between which style of education would suit my little boy, formal like Wellow or Montessori like Lincolnshire Montessori. The Montessori's don't seem to set children up for prep though. They were aiming more for entry to the local grammar.

100lilgreen Sat 29-Oct-11 12:33:29

Yes montessori is a good approach to education but it does produce some 'alternative' children and doesn't give the sort of education a prep would but it's all down to what you want. Wellow and Salterford are lovely

schoolsuk Tue 17-Jul-12 14:36:53

Please do not send your chid to Salterford House School, many peope have had probems there including us. Feel free to message me.

schoolsuk Wed 12-Sep-12 11:43:56

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

RavensheadMum Wed 03-Oct-12 16:28:00

I was truly amazed to read the negative post from schoolsuk. We have two children at Salterford House and cannot recommend it highly enough. The school manages to achieve academic excellence within a wonderfully nurturing environment - a perfect balance. The teaching staff are fantastic, classs sizes are small and at Salterford every child counts. It is a shame that schoolsuk did not experience the same satisfaction as myself and every other parent at Salterford but it is an even greater shame that they feel it necesssary to attack the school with such vitriol. Anyone considering education options in Nottinghamshire should most definitely visit Salterford House, I feel privileged to send my children there.

Juicer1 Thu 04-Oct-12 11:26:06

I too am extremely surprised about Schoolsuk's comments. I have 2 children at Salterford and I think it is an excellent school. Yet again I can spell so maybe my idea of what a good school is differs somewhat to theirs (chid and probems!)

moonface111 Sun 07-Oct-12 21:17:37

Why do people feel the need to insult a school?? My first son who is now 13 went to Salterford House from the age of 4. He excelled there gaining excellent SATs and other test results which I know he wouldn't have achieved elsewhere. Salterford have a truly wonderful setting, rural, nurturing, caring and safe environment. He never once complained about going and loved every teacher he had lessons with. He excelled in sport and was a member of every team they had. He now attends a state senior school where he again is excelling in every subject, and that includes sport (his school is a sports academy) his teachers think he is an incredibly polite, hardworking student and they have noticed his attitude is very different to the majority of other students, this is clearly due to the environment he was in at Salterford. My second son who is now 8 is also following the same path as his brother and again loves Salterford. Mrs Venables (proprietor) has an open door policy and welcomes any parent to consult with her about any queries or issues I have. She is there every morning welcoming each and every pupil personally through her door. Go and have a look, they have open days where you will see the pupils in their normal environment.

schoolsuk Wed 28-Nov-12 20:36:06

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now