I won my Infant Class Size appeal!!!

(27 Posts)
The3Bears Sun 17-Jul-11 08:19:00

I couldnt be happier, everything went great with mine I was very nervous but managed to say everything and we won!!!
So now I have to get on with buying uniform smilesmilesmile

prh47bridge Sun 17-Jul-11 09:10:45

Well done!

fluffycloud52 Mon 18-Jul-11 09:38:28

cONGRATULATIONS,! CAN U TELL ME WHAT GROUNDS U WON yR APPEAL, I AM JUST ABOUT TO GO TO APPEAL , AM WORRIED SICK HAVE 2 CHILDREN JUST 4 AND 5 YEARS IN SCHOOL 3 MILES APART. AND 63 MILES FROM HOME

fluffycloud52 Mon 18-Jul-11 13:00:48

sorry ment 3 miles from home

sickaboutdad Mon 18-Jul-11 13:21:01

I am very glad you won but given your circumstance I do wonder what grounds you won on, was it that he should have been in the social and medical category? I am very glad you got the school place, one less thing to worry about. How is your son, has he has surgery yet?

bubblesincoffee Mon 18-Jul-11 17:54:21

That's brilliant 3bears! Well Done! grin grin

prh47bridge Mon 18-Jul-11 22:25:05

Well done.

fluffycloud52 - If you tell us more about your case you will get some advice. Is it an infant class size appeal? What are your grounds for appealing?

sadmum1000 Tue 19-Jul-11 00:00:55

Fantastic news _I'd given up hope on ICS appeals.
I'm also in Stockport with appeal on Wednesday - is there anyway you could post on here or email me some tips please?
I'm desperate!
x

sadmum1000 Tue 19-Jul-11 00:09:05

Just to add - our case hangs purely on seperation anxiety as our siblings being split up. I know that dropping 2 kids and collecting at same time is impossible but it is an expectation that we should sort that out ourselves. We have to pay a child minder I guess. Just found out today I'm being made redundant in next 2 months. This changes things for us as still will have to pay childminder plus husband not working due to medical reasons. Is it worth mentioning these things at appeal or are they irrelevant?

prh47bridge Tue 19-Jul-11 00:52:13

According to the rules none of this will get you a place. As it is infant class size you should only win if a mistake has been made and your child should have been admitted or the LA has acted unreasonably. I'm afraid splitting up siblings is not classed as unreasonable.

However, sometimes evidence of a mistake emerges during the hearing. And occasionally an appeal panel will admit even though the rules say they shouldn't. So you can talk about separation anxiety, your impending redundancy and your husband's medical issues, but you should be realistic about your chances.

The3Bears Tue 19-Jul-11 10:32:16

They just said that because of the extenuating personal circumstances (the medical problem wth his leg) and because he is very shy. They decided that the reason to not admit was unreasonable We had alot of eveidence and a letter from his GP and health visitor.
I dont really have alot of advice I was extremely nervous before and didnt think I would be able to talk but I felt very proud that I got everything in that I could and went away feeling there was nothing else I could have added. I didnt get too emotional otherwise I wouldnt have been able to speak, I got a little tearful at the end but the panel were lovely and very symphathetic.
My son hasnt had surgery yet were still waiting to find out the next move but with the time theyre taking were begining to think everything is going to be fine Im just so greatful that we can finally have some normality back into our lives and concentrate on school.
For anyone going to an appeal just try to relax, say everything you want otherwise you will go away thinking I should have said that etc.
The panel didnt really argue with me and agreed with everything that we said, tbh Im just glad were getting abit of luck back as we've had the most awful 4 months and things are begining to look up. smile

admission Tue 19-Jul-11 11:29:47

No panel should argue with any appealant, they should listen to everything that is said and then make a decision in private. Any disagreement will be between appealant and the admission authority representative not with the panel, though even then the Chair should be looking to stop that happening with the Clerk to the panel.
If there is any open disagreement with the panel then I would see that as potential reason for a referral to the LGO.

The3Bears Tue 19-Jul-11 12:28:46

I didnt mean it in that sense I mean they didnt disagree with me at all or question my reasons they just asked about the medical side of things and that was that.

fluffycloud52 Tue 19-Jul-11 14:03:17

Wondering what we can base school appeal on. can anyone help? . my 2 children are summer born, 1 year apart in age. we live 0.3 from one of our designated schools and 0.4 from our other designated area school. we did not obtain a place at either of these schools 33rd on waiting list for one 16th on list for other my son just 4 is being sent to infants school 3 miles away and he will not get into juniors as out of area( not that i what him to as different catchment area secondary school from where we live) this September we have to apply for our Sons place in reception, what will happen is our other son will end up in a different school. how is it reasonable to drop off and pick up 2 children in different primary schools just 4 and just 5 years old? dont c y we should pay for childcare as i work from home and would not need to do this.

bubblesincoffee Tue 19-Jul-11 15:11:51

It's not reasonable fluffycloud, but it's the situation many parents are put in. I agree with you completely that they shouldn't expect parents to be in this position, but they see it that as long as they offer your children a place at a school, that is their obligation fulfilled. Impossible logistics are down to the parent. Hopefully someone on here will be able to give you some advice though.

3bears, once again, well done. I'm really pleased for you.

The3Bears Tue 19-Jul-11 15:41:39

Thank you bubblesincoffee grin

Insomnia11 Tue 19-Jul-11 16:39:10

Blimey, how can you not get in a school when you are 0.3 miles away? Crazy.

Insomnia11 Tue 19-Jul-11 16:41:06

And I thought having a sibling further up the school was one of the elements higher up than distance?

spiderpig8 Tue 19-Jul-11 17:04:02

it depends on your lea.Our lea ranks distance higher than siblings for primary admissions, but the other way round for secondary.only a council......

Runoutofideas Tue 19-Jul-11 17:08:10

Fluffycloud - My friend was in a very similar situation to you last year. Her DS1 started school about 2 miles from her home as her catchment school was oversubscribed. The following year her DS2 got into the "catchment" school as there were fewer applications. This put her DS1 to the top of the waiting list as he was now a sibling and within 2 weeks of her ds2 starting school ds1 had a place too. She had to prepare for a logistical nightmare, but thankfully it didn't come to it in the end - it was a bit disruptive for her ds1 though to move schools after one year.....

prh47bridge Tue 19-Jul-11 17:53:57

Fluffycloud - The first thing to say is that you are entitled to free transport for your son if the school is that far away. The LA is required by law to provide free transport if the allocated school is more than 2 miles walking distance away, although the limit goes up to 3 miles when he reaches the age of 8. As you applied to your local schools and didn't get in they must provide transport if you request it.

You should check the information the LA sent you about why your son didn't get into the designated school carefully to see if there is any sign they have made a mistake. Have they put him into the correct admissions category? Does the distance they have used look correct? If they have made a mistake that would be grounds for an appeal. You can, of course, appeal even if they haven't made a mistake but in an infant class size case you are unlikely to succeed.

Poppyella Wed 20-Jul-11 13:41:26

Many congratulations 3bears!!

Having just had our appeal cancelled but given a place, I can share your happiness!

It is such a weight off your shoulders isn't it!

x

fluffycloud52 Wed 20-Jul-11 14:41:26

Its not even the logistics so much (although thinking about the cost of petrol now it seems so unfair) its the thought of each of my children being left at the end of the day waiting for mummy and mummy will always be late for one or the other, my children are much loved IVF children ,why should my children who are very sensitive have to go through all this . I am a very punctual person and hate to be late and in the morning one of my children will always b late. no-way would I let my son just 4 years go in a taxi its not like the taxi will bring me back. The infant school he has been sent to accepts 72 in infants and only 60 in juniors. Madness!. no- way do I want my second son who starts school next september TO have to go through the upset of changing to a primary school nearer to home when he is 7, also the secondary school designated to the infants is not in our area. god knows where my second son will end up going to school. I feel people who buy there house are descriminated against . People who rent can just rent closer to schools. our school system is totally unfair and insensitive to our children feelings.

sadmum1000 Sun 24-Jul-11 23:17:48

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me advice - against the odds we have just won our infant class size appeal. Will have to now change my profile name to happymum1000 :-) if anyone is still waiting, don't give up!

The3Bears Mon 25-Jul-11 09:44:18

grin

Thats great sadmum1000

BarbarianMum Mon 25-Jul-11 10:56:50

<<I feel people who buy there house are descriminated against . People who rent can just rent closer to schools.>>

Really? No one has to buy a house, you know. And anyone with the money to do so can rent, including you.

Poppyella Wed 27-Jul-11 08:59:17

Yes BarbarianMum, because life is really that simple isn't it!!

Get a grip and add something constructive, not stupid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now