Anyone got/know DCs at Clapham Manor or Heathbrook primaries in London?

(5 Posts)
branstonsandcheese Wed 22-Jun-11 13:21:27

Hiya

Good friend of mine is moving to the Clapham area with preschool-aged DCs. She says she's in the catchment for both these schools and she can't see much to choose between them. She's been round them both and said Clapham Manor's head seemed quite intense and results-driven while Heathbrook's head seemed a bit 'softer' but that CM had better facilities. She's not got many friends in the area who use state primaries - she has heard that CM is amazing for early years but not so amazing year 3+, but doesn't have a parent she knows with DCs at Heathbrook so can't really compare.

Wondered if anyone had anything to add?

Angelalansburyohyeah01 Fri 21-Mar-14 13:46:00

Hey there....am new to mumsnet and think I may be a bit late to reply to your post but hopefully it may help others decide?
My son started Heathbrook in reception this year. It was may favourite BY FAR having visited many of the other 'more popular' schools in the area (including Clapham manor and sudbourne).....the woman that showed us round, Janet, was so very insightful, warm and honest and I was very impressed with the outside space and general feel of the school.
There is a 3 form entry which means there are only 20 children per class and I was terribly worried about my son settling in as he didn't enjoy nursery at all.....I am so grateful to the staff at heathbrook as within 4 days he was very happy......they gave him tailored one to one intensive support.

The ethos of the school is holistic and supportive and encourages independent thinking and creativity. Many of these objectives are (very sadly) not recognised by Ofsted (and I am sure never will be) so do not let the recent Ofsted put you off. Remember that the way that Ofsted assess has changed.....it is much much tougher than last year and whilst results are very important, all the other softer skills are just as important.
Heathbrooks head teacher is in the playground every drop off and pick up and is accessible, friendly and has a clear vision for the school.
Its a shame that Ofsted came when two key members of staff were off on maternity leave and that criticisms were historical. But I guess that's how it goes.
My boy is thriving there......I hope this helps anyone else dithering about the school

Angelalansburyohyeah01 Sat 05-Apr-14 20:31:48

Hey there....am new to mumsnet and think I may be a bit late to reply to your post but hopefully it may help others decide?
My son started Heathbrook in reception this year. It was may favourite BY FAR having visited many of the other 'more popular' schools in the area (including Clapham manor and sudbourne).....the woman that showed us round, Janet, was so very insightful, warm and honest and I was very impressed with the outside space and general feel of the school.
There is a 3 form entry which means there are only 20 children per class and I was terribly worried about my son settling in as he didn't enjoy nursery at all.....I am so grateful to the staff at heathbrook as within 4 days he was very happy......they gave him tailored one to one intensive support.

The ethos of the school is holistic and supportive and encourages independent thinking and creativity. Many of these objectives are (very sadly) not recognised by Ofsted (and I am sure never will be) so do not let the recent Ofsted put you off. Remember that the way that Ofsted assess has changed.....it is much much tougher than last year and whilst results are very important, all the other softer skills are just as important.
Heathbrooks head teacher is in the playground every drop off and pick up and is accessible, friendly and has a clear vision for the school.
Its a shame that Ofsted came when two key members of staff were off on maternity leave and that criticisms were historical. But I guess that's how it goes.
My boy is thriving there......I hope this helps anyone else dithering about the school

Masalamama Thu 11-Dec-14 09:47:31

Just to add to this, DD is at Heathbrook Primary School and just came home with a letter that said it is now in the top 14% of schools nationally for progress made by kids overall, and top 7 for reading. Apparently 61% of year 6 kids are exceeding expected progress in maths, compared to the national average of 35%. So... the school has also pulled its socks up as far as academic achievement is concerned. DD also loves it, especially "forest school" where they learn in the on site Wildlife Garden.

Notenoughsleepmumof3 Tue 14-Jun-16 14:54:43

Just incase anyone looks at this thread again. I'm a Clapham Manor parent. And if I did it again I would go elsewhere. Heathbrook is a happier and much more creative school. Clapham Manor says they are, but they never follow through with things and only do what they need to in order to look good on paper. Teachers are always leaving. There is no continuity, and bullying is a real problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now