Is this true that more pupils from Steiner schools go to universities than from state or private schools?

(49 Posts)
Octavia09 Mon 14-Mar-11 17:27:18

I have seen these news somewhere and simply cannot believe in it. It was written that Steiner pupils succeed because they start slowly and then develop hunger to studies and thus do better than kids at state schools for example. I thought that Steiner is just a money-making sect.

Jellykat Mon 14-Mar-11 18:25:18

Hmm, Well i've known about 30 people who were Steiner educated, not one went to University, even though their parents' could've afforded it! smile

My DS2 went to a Steiner nursery (i used to clean instead of fees)i think it's o.k at that age, but my problem with the Steiner outlook,is that it hasn't progressed in years and years..the 'dollies' with no faces,the blended 'rainbow' colours, the avoidance of
corners where possible etc etc,doesn't seem to equip pupils for RL,a lot seem to struggle once that secure environment comes to an end.

Maybe that result was based on percentages,-there aren't that many up to 16/18 yr old Steiner schools in the U.K. surely? confused

seeker Mon 14-Mar-11 18:33:00

Most Steiner schools don;t do a levels - so the university entrands would have had to go somewhere else to do them after Steiner.

Rannaldini Mon 14-Mar-11 18:34:08

this is made up rubbish

Octavia09 Mon 14-Mar-11 19:25:36

May be this is the way to get more people into the sect by brainwashing them.

Dukeleto Mon 14-Mar-11 19:46:06

I know one person who was Steiner educated, and she is the most motivated, independent, well-balanced person I know. Obviously this is not a representative sample, and she was educated abroad anyway.

My view is that like any educational philosophy, Steiner will suit SOME kids extremely well. Obvious proaganda for OR against should probably be disregarded.

chippy47 Mon 14-Mar-11 19:49:11

Probably not but I know for a fact that more Steiner educated people are re-incarnated than the rest of us.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 14-Mar-11 19:52:20

It might be true that a high proportion of pupils who've been to a Steiner school at some point do go to university simply because they have parents who are actively making some sort of choice about their education, IYSWIM - but in the absence of data this is pure speculation. Parental involvement often outweighs most other factors.

MrsFlittersnoop Mon 14-Mar-11 20:33:23

I know a several lovely, bright, well adjusted and very successful adults who were Steiner educated, and interestingly enough NONE of them went to university to get where they are in life today!

TubOfLard Fri 18-Mar-11 04:50:08

"Independent school pupils are four times more likely to attain an A* at GCSE than their non-selective state sector counterparts and twice as likely to attain an A grade at A level. A much higher proportion go to university; however studies have shown a deterioration in the performance of independent school students at university, compared to state educated students who may have learned to overcome disadvantages."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_school_(United_Kingdom)

Madsometimes Fri 18-Mar-11 11:30:15

What TubofLard said. Steiner schools are independent schools, children are more likely to go to university than state school chidren. Not sure how Steiner compares to other indie schools though.

MmeLindt Fri 18-Mar-11 11:34:02

I would imagine that it has to do with the parents taking a more active stance towards their children's education that the average UK parent.

Some of my German friends went to Steiner schools. Some went to Uni, some didn't. They are all pretty high on the woo scales though.

WhatsWrongWithYou Fri 18-Mar-11 11:39:32

Chippy, don't forget they are also more likely to be on a higher plane....

I think this has to be nonsense; I know lots of Steiner-educated adults and very few of them are university-educated; those that are tend to have come to it later than usual, in their mid-20s.

Some I have spoken to have been bitter that, when at school, they weren't selected to be amongst the chosen who were deemed worthy of aspiring to university - there was no implication that a degree could be open to anyone who was reasonably bright and with the capacity to apply themselves.

Many feel they wasted years travelling and doing casual jobs when they could have finished their formal education and embarked on a career much earlier.

I believe a more formal system of academic qualifications has now been introduced in some schools, but with a very limited range of subjects available; whether this will increase figures for university entrance remains to be seen.

marialuisa Fri 18-Mar-11 11:45:50

I know a famous academic who went through the Steiner system (and his area is as business-oriented and un-Steiner as you can get!). About 75% of the steiner kids I know personally went to University and they have a variety of jobs (none of which include running a steiner bookshop!).

skybluepearl Fri 18-Mar-11 13:44:37

I only know one steiner kid who went on to uni. Maybe there is some confusion about an article i read in the papers this week.

i think i read that a high percentage ( 75 % or something )of young adults studying very academic degrees (gps/dentists) etc went to public school. While only 10% of children have a public school education.

Maybe Steiner schools are considered to be part of teh public school system - i don't know? Most of the public schools round here are the opposite of Steiner in their approach.

Grumpystiltskin Fri 18-Mar-11 21:44:09

I'm a dentist, I went to a state school where only 30% of us got 5 A-C's. In fact, the majority of my peers went to state schools, but there were a significant number from private schools. My state sixh form tried to stop me applying to dental school.shock

willow Sat 19-Mar-11 22:08:12

Chippy - pmsl

MeganS55 Mon 12-Nov-12 19:39:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

radicalsubstitution Mon 12-Nov-12 20:45:10

Zombie alert!

LeeCoakley Mon 12-Nov-12 21:00:32

Sorry Megan but I can have an opinion on anything I want. I assume that's what you meant; the double negative confused me a bit.

MarkH1 Thu 15-Nov-12 06:30:08

Megan, I only managed to read the first 3 lines of your reply. Hopefully at University they will teach you how to write in paragraphs.

saythatagain Thu 15-Nov-12 06:38:43

Megan: did they happen to touch on a subject called English at your school?

claraschu Thu 15-Nov-12 06:56:54

Megan, I'm sorry people are being rude to you. Plenty of people on this forum don't write in beautiful, lucid prose divided into elegant paragraphs, and I thought what you wrote was both heartfelt and eloquent. It is annoying when people who have no real firsthand experience of something start criticising it violently. If everyone's prose style is a reflection on their schooling, we can assume that the school system in general is not great.

I have visited several Steiner schools in the US (doing children's concerts), and my impression is that one or two of them were wonderful schools and one or two were not so wonderful, (which is similar to my impression of other schools in general).

mortimersraven Thu 15-Nov-12 06:57:50

For goodness' sake, don't be cruel!

Megan is as entitled to her opinion as all of you. The fact she is the product of a Steiner school puts her in a good position to comment on it in an informed way!

Sounds like you're all being pretty snobby.

Megan has put her point across rather agressively but the core of it makes perfect sense and in fact dukeleto said it more succinctly further up the thread - like any educational philosophy, steiner will suit some kids

cantreachmytoes Thu 15-Nov-12 07:04:02

I went to a Steiner school for almost all of my schooling (also started at a state primary, which I only left because we moved). I enjoyed the curriculum - I also enjoyed my first school too.

Forget about statistics, forget what people do after school etc., look instead at the anti-bullying policy and its implementation.

I would possibly send my child to a school with the Steiner curriculum, but knowing (in theory and practice) how the schools approach bullying, I could not put my child in such a potentially vulnerable situation.

I am not a lentil weaving tree hugging hippy and would not describe myself or my family as 'woo' in any way but I chose to send my youngest to a Steiner School unlike my three older ones who all went to selective academic schools. I chose Steiner because I looked beyond the 'ooo it's all gnomes , strange drawings and dancing round toadstools ' and went and looked for myself. Ds started at 11 he is almost 15 now and I have no complaints he has gone from a quiet introverted child to an outgoing confident one with a breath of knowledge which far exceeds my expectations. I have no doubt he will like my others go on to University.
As someone commented up thread Steiner will suit some children exceedingly well, my ds is one of them .
I wonder how many of the doubters and critics have actually set foot in a Steiner School

colditz Thu 15-Nov-12 08:32:43

Quite a few of the doubters and critics have first had experience of being educated in a Steiner school, rather than just having a child there. From reviews gather online, many pupils seems to be merely entertained, and have fallen behind the national curriculum to the point where they can't go to another school.

colditz Thu 15-Nov-12 08:34:46

And I really am only saying this because its relevant - Megans55 is not a good advert for a Steiner education.

cantreachmytoes Thu 15-Nov-12 09:38:16

Colditz I certainly had no experience of that with my friends who left mid way through, or towards the end. Perhaps that's relevant in the beginning because there is no learning to write before age 6, but HMI reports on my school mentioned that, but also said that by the end, the students surpassed the NC. They said this about the school I was in, not ALL Steiner schools and its important to remember that they are really all quite different, just as all State or private schools are.

I'm not sending my DC to one, so obviously in not a huge fan, but it's not the actual curriculum that's the problem.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 15-Nov-12 09:39:25

Well I never met anyone at university who'd been to Steiner school!

PerryCombover Thu 15-Nov-12 09:42:49

Personally, I'm down on the reincarnation angle

cantreachmytoes Thu 15-Nov-12 09:47:01

Just to add that from my year of about 20 pupils, one's an investment banker (no family banking ties), one's a doctor, one an accountant, one publisher, one joined the army, one works with adults with learning difficulties, one an actor, one a musician one a nurse, one a lecturer, one a leading interior designer, some I don't know what they are doing, some full time mothers and some who are essentially bumming around.

It is definitely an alternative system, but it's not a curriculum that produces people who can't go to university, or undertake other further studies and contribute to society.

seeker Thu 15-Nov-12 09:48:09

Most Steiner schools don't do A levels.

There is a Steiner crowd in my dd's excellent 6th form- most of them joined the school in year 10 or 11, and in some cases took an extra year to do gCSEs, which gave them the chance to catch up academically. They will, I suspect, all be qualified to go to university if they want to. But not because they went to the steiner school

Selks Thu 15-Nov-12 09:50:16

Wow some truly spiteful posts on this thread.confused

HanSolo Thu 15-Nov-12 10:00:50

It may be a possibility that a higher proportion of those who finish Steiner schools go on to university (pure conjecture as I've seen no figuresd) but I seriously doubt it applies to all those that start at steiner schools.

niminypiminy Thu 15-Nov-12 10:06:46

I interviewed a girl who had been to a Steiner school for a place on a degree course quite recently. She was bright, enthusiastic, and highly motivated; she had done loads of interesting things at school, including writing directing plays. She was well suited to a place on an English degree (the course I was interviewing for).

However, her exam profile was very poor, and she was applying as a mature student (ie over 21), because she would not have been able to get a place on a degree course at 18. She's doing quite well now, and will complete a degree by the time she is in her mid-twenties.

That's all well and good. It seems clear that this school provided lots of creative opportunities. But what about if your bent is not arts, but sciences? What about if what you are really talented at computer programming? I can't see, from talking to this girl, that her school (though she'd clearly had a good time there)' that the school would have served their needs.

And the lack of formal exams (whatever one may think about the uselessness of exams in principle) did disadvantage her. It was lucky for her that she came to the place I teach, which has a mission to offer higher eduction to adults who may not have formal qualifications. Otherwise she'd have been stuffed.

ChocolateCoins Thu 15-Nov-12 10:09:52

Some people on here are so rude!

cantreachmytoes Thu 15-Nov-12 23:31:30

People, please listen, not all Steiner schools are the same. I did GCSEs and leaving exams, took a gap year, then started Uni (top UK Uni and my first choice), just like my friends in State and private schools.

Very true though that not all subjects are offered (but physics, biology and chemistry were at mine, as well as maths, english and arty subjects) and certainly anybody interested in computing would be well served in pretty much any other school system!

PerryCombover Fri 16-Nov-12 10:43:53

But they are all about reincarnation, right?

LeeCoakley Fri 16-Nov-12 16:55:24

I think it's true that lots of Steiner school pupils get into the London School of EcoGNOMEics but I don't know about other universities. grin
<chuckles at own joke>

amothersplaceisinthewrong Fri 16-Nov-12 16:57:29

What is Steiner School>

Caerlaverock Fri 16-Nov-12 17:01:25

Steiner school is for 'creatives' who are terribly embarrassed by their suburban upbringing and yearn to live through their unfortunate offspring

PerryCombover Fri 16-Nov-12 17:04:06

Who believe reincarnated souls enter children at age 7 when they get their adult teeth

radicalsubstitution Fri 16-Nov-12 17:23:11

They believe that young children should learn through play.

....which is fine, unless your DS' idea of 'play' is to create a giant traffic jam on the carpet and crash cars into each other. That would not be considered 'healthy' behaviour.

DS would have enjoyed Steiner school about as much as teeth extraction without anaesthetic.

Each to their own - it would not have been for us.

nlondondad Fri 16-Nov-12 18:52:43

@mortimersraven you said

'Megan is as entitled to her opinion as all of you."

Except that Megan said (her opinion was) that other people were not entitled to an opinion! Unless they had actually experienced a Steiner school themselves.

We can have well based opinions about lots of things we have not directly experienced ourselves. In fact most of the true knowledge we have about most things is not derived from our experience, but our experience of other peoples experience......

restlessnative Fri 16-Nov-12 20:03:26

ladies - things have moved on for this cult

my DH is one of four children all Steiner educated.

Only one of the siblings went to University, she is very bright and has now done three degrees.

Other sister dropped out of school failed by the system to recognise or diagnose dyslexia.

One brother completed first year but went no further.

Other brother is a qualified builder

seeker Fri 16-Nov-12 21:15:44

grin at Lee.

PerryCombover Fri 16-Nov-12 21:45:59

Does the devil hide on corners fango?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now