Could the average Reception age child read this passage?

(228 Posts)
Avocadoes Thu 03-Feb-11 12:52:25

"I want to go to Lily's party. I will go on the bus, then I will walk. There will be cake and lots of fun. Do you want to come too?"

My DD is nearly 4 and a half and her reading has just been assessed (by school) using the passage above.

I am just interested in whether most Reception kids would be able to read all the words in that passage and do so without halting to figure out each individual word.

IngridFletcher Thu 03-Feb-11 12:53:19

No!

mummyplonk Thu 03-Feb-11 12:55:11

No way my 4 1/2 yr old would have got "I" & "to" on his own nothing else.

Iklboo Thu 03-Feb-11 12:55:13

DS would be able to read it - eventually. He'd struggle on 'walk' at first. He's 5.

ThaliaKeith Thu 03-Feb-11 12:55:44

DD could read it. Not sure she is an average reception child though.

Most of the children in her class (I volunteer and listen to reading once a week) wouldn't be able to read it. Although quite a few only started at school a few weeks ago.

Seems an odd way to assess although was it the same passage for everyone?

ThaliaKeith Thu 03-Feb-11 12:56:31

DD was 5 in September - she wouldn't have been able to do it at 4.5 although she wasn't at school then.

TheVisitor Thu 03-Feb-11 12:56:55

Absolutely not.

tugamommy Thu 03-Feb-11 12:57:36

My dd is in reception (she was 5 in November). She would not be able on her own to read the words: Lily, want, there, party and cake. She probably would manage with our help.

I hope this is average and there won't be lots of mums saying their dcs can easily read that and more!....

BerryLellow Thu 03-Feb-11 12:57:47

DS wouldn't be able to (5.2) He could sound it all out, but not just read it.

seeker Thu 03-Feb-11 12:57:47

No.

mamasmissionimpossible Thu 03-Feb-11 12:58:16

No, my ds is 5 and couldn't read that. Should he be able to? <mild panic>

seeker Thu 03-Feb-11 12:58:36

But the average mumsnet reception child could. And probably translate it into Latin too!!!!!!

FoghornLeghorn Thu 03-Feb-11 12:59:33

Message deleted

caffeinated Thu 03-Feb-11 13:00:54

All but 5 words he would.

sethstarkaddersmackerel Thu 03-Feb-11 13:02:51

no, definitely not.

camerondiazepam Thu 03-Feb-11 13:03:13

My DD is 4.5 and she could read each word but would probably have to stop for some of them.

But that's kind of irrelevant - the point of assessment should be that most children can't do all of it, then they can assess how much of it the children can do. If they can all read all of it, then nothing's been assessed, IYSWIM. Don't stress about it.

[Not-a-teacher-so-slightly-making-it-up emoticon]

JemimaMop Thu 03-Feb-11 13:05:05

DS2 certainly would have been able to. DS1 certainly wouldn't have been able to. DD (who is 4 and in Reception) probably could read most of it but not without hesitating to work the words out.

sadiesadiemarriedlady Thu 03-Feb-11 13:07:37

No

dixiechick1975 Thu 03-Feb-11 13:08:22

It does contain a lot of the words off the list DD has been given to learn - I, no, go, into etc.

DD was 5 two weeks ago could read half maybe? But would include sounding out.

lovecheese Thu 03-Feb-11 13:10:53

DD1 no, DD2 yes

coldtits Thu 03-Feb-11 13:13:05

No. Ds2 is bog standard and could not real that.

wannaBe Thu 03-Feb-11 13:13:18

I think the most important thing to remember is that reading is not a contest, and that all children develop at their own individual rates.

And that an average is just that, an average. meaning that some children will be able to read it, and some won't. And some of the ones that can't might know some of their times tables already while the majority don't. And that some will be able to play a sport/musical instrument already, and some won't.

At this age they are just starting out, I wouldn't personally start to be concerned about a child's reading until they got to y1, but even then it often takes time to click. By the time they get to y3 (like my ds) you'll have forgotten all about what they could read in reception.

FiveFeetTwo Thu 03-Feb-11 13:14:32

Yes (5.2) but with lots of sounding out on the way.

tigercametotea Thu 03-Feb-11 13:15:23

Not most Reception children.

MarshaBrady Thu 03-Feb-11 13:16:28

The average one, at this stage of the reception year, not quite.

coldtits Thu 03-Feb-11 13:17:38

Sorry, ds2 is 4.9 and read probably 70% of the words, using sounding out. He was flummoxed by "walk", "Lily's", "want", "cake" and "come".

coldtits Thu 03-Feb-11 13:18:12

I just totally underestimated my son, how bad do I feel?sadblush

Don't think ds would be able to read all of that - I'd be surprised - he's 4 1/3 and in the top group for reading and writing in his class.

ChippingInSmellyCheeseFreak Thu 03-Feb-11 13:21:27

Lots of people are saying yes, but then saying it would need to be read one word at a time or by sounding it out - which isn't what you asked - so it's a NO.

I don't think many reception aged children could read that, without halting to do the 'harder' words and not till closer to the end of the year. Of course some will, but they'll be the 'odd one' not the norm.

ChippingInSmellyCheeseFreak Thu 03-Feb-11 13:22:48

coldtits - they all sneak up on you with what they can do when they want to!!

looblylu Thu 03-Feb-11 13:25:08

DD could read it but would stumble on a few words (walk and possibly cake)

ImFab Thu 03-Feb-11 13:25:54

Mine would have been able too.

misskeith Thu 03-Feb-11 13:26:29

No way, mine is 5.2. would sound out slowly and manage a few of them. And I am not remotely concerned about him.

PatriciaHolm Thu 03-Feb-11 13:27:12

DS no way, DD probably would have got most of it.

Avocadoes Thu 03-Feb-11 13:28:23

Thanks everyone.

I think DD's reception teacher has quite high expectations of the children. DD1 read the passage very slowly and haltingly but managed all the words except Lily's, party and cake. Her teacher then wrote: "DD is beginning to grap the basics of reading. She reads very slowly and is yet to see the meaning of a sentence because she has to concentrate on each word."

I am probably being paranoid but I read that assessment as slightly negative which is what lead me to want to check how similar aged children would have performed. I am not meaning to sound competitive as I really am not concerned about DD's rank in the class etc, I think the assessment just surprised me.

Malaleuca Thu 03-Feb-11 13:31:10

Such a pointless assessment - nothing transparent about it at all. An assessment should tell you what a child can do, not what he can't do, and this passage would give little information about the type of text/code the child can handle.

evolucy7 Thu 03-Feb-11 13:33:42

My 4 year old would be able read it apart from maybe 'Lily's' I don't know if she has ever come across the name, but she may be able to work it out.

SummerRain Thu 03-Feb-11 13:33:50

dd wouldn't have, at all. She's a year on now and still would struggle with it.

ds1 would probably get it easily enough though.

I disagree with the teacher on this though: 'is yet to see the meaning of a sentence because she has to concentrate on each word'

dd is a terrible reader, very slow and halting, but if you quiz her afterward she's absorbed everything she read and can discuss it easily.

It depends on the child in question.

coccyx Thu 03-Feb-11 13:35:37

My DD has just read it (4.6) but needed to sound out the words like cake.
I doubbt many reception year children could read it fluently. Why are you worried?

CatIsSleepy Thu 03-Feb-11 13:38:52

dd1 wouldn't be able to read most of those words

maybe I, to, bus, fun, go, with a lot of prompting from me

mind you I have no idea what she's like with her teacher

One of her friends however who is the same age would rattle through it no problem. But has been reading for a while now and is pretty advanced I think.

goingmadinthecountry Thu 03-Feb-11 13:40:54

Seeker already made the comment that immediately came to my mind!

evolucy7 Thu 03-Feb-11 13:41:39

Malaleuca...why is it a pointless assessment? Many of the words are High Frequency Words that children have to learn at school, they are High Frequency Words as they are crucial for reading due to their frequency in the English Language. The other words such as 'cake' could be there to test comprehension as if a child has read 'party' then they could use decoding skills for the word beginning with 'c' that you may have at a party. Also 'bus' and 'walk', if a child knows 'bus' the sentence is saying that the 'walk' is an alternative to 'bus' so can the child understand this concept. Early reading is very much about HF Words and using skills of understanding the context, and working out words using phonics.
By the way OP were there any pictures for this assessment do you know or just the text?

Michaelahpurple Thu 03-Feb-11 13:56:09

At least half of my DS2's class wouldn't be able to read that fluently.

purpleturtle Thu 03-Feb-11 14:07:14

DS2 wouldn't know where to start. He's August-born in Reception.

He's not at all average though. wink

boolifooli Thu 03-Feb-11 14:12:54

Ds definitely COULDN'T. August born mind.

crazygracieuk Thu 03-Feb-11 14:13:04

No

At the end of Reception- maybe.

electra Thu 03-Feb-11 14:14:40

Gosh, what kind of a school is it? High expectations indeed. My dd used to read the Jelly and Bean series when she was in reception - stuff like 'a cat and a dog on a log'! And she goes to a prep school.

I don't think early readers are necessarily more intelligent than others tbh - they all begin to level out by the age of 7ish.

Malaleuca Thu 03-Feb-11 14:45:25

The selection of hf words is random. As I understand UK literacy strategy (may be wrong here, not in UK)is Letters and Sounds so Year R children have not been taught all the letter/sound correspsondences in this passage, so why test children on stuff they have not learnt?

Message withdrawn

rubyrubyruby Thu 03-Feb-11 14:53:36

No - none of my 4 could have.

........... all now either have degrees or are on target at secondary school so don't worry.

Chaotica Thu 03-Feb-11 14:54:42

No - DD might manage a lot of it, but she's probably one of the best readers in her reception class. I doubt she'd manage it all though.

ruddynorah Thu 03-Feb-11 14:58:34

Dd is 5 in may. She could read it but would take a while over 'walk'. The rest she'd be fine with.

Elk Thu 03-Feb-11 15:01:57

dd1 would not have been able to read it, now year 3 and not reading problems.
dd2, 5 and in reception would read it easily but her reading skills are not those of the average reception child (she was reading chapter books when she started reception). I will be interested to see how she reacts when they all catch her up.

evolucy7 Thu 03-Feb-11 15:02:33

Malaleuca....if the selection of HF words was not a random selection, it would no longer be a very short passage.
Reception Year children are taught to read at school as well as learning letters & sounds, but children don't only learn in school. There seems to be a fairly even spread on here of children who can/cannot read this. I would assume that this forms part of many types of assessment on reading levels. If a child was able to read this easily, most parents may wish that the school knew this, perhaps through such an assessment and gave suitably challenging books.

ThaliaKeith Thu 03-Feb-11 16:05:14

Just got DD to have a try and she read it fluently (ie not needing to sound out) except for cake which she stumbled over a bit.

vegasmum Thu 03-Feb-11 16:10:32

Message withdrawn

maizieD Thu 03-Feb-11 16:14:20

Are you a teacher, evolucy7?

Avocadoes Thu 03-Feb-11 16:18:42

When people say their children are reading it fluently, does that mean they can read each word but still take a while (e.g. "I..... want...... to") or are they reading it as a coherent sentence ("I want to...")?

No - neither of my DS's would have been able to read that passage at this stage in the school year in Reception.

DS2 would probably have been able to (just) by t the end of reception - - but DS1 wouldn't have had a clue even then

In Reception HF were given out (as the child progressed to being ready for them) throughout the year in small doses.

They had "bookmarks" with the words to learn on - 20 bookmarks in total.

irrc when DS1 was in Reception they didn't even start handing out the bookmarks to any (or maybe only one or 2?) children before Christmas.

ThreIsNoSpoon Thu 03-Feb-11 16:29:55

Just got DS (5.5) to read it and he could except for Lily's.

We have never had HF words - should we have? <worried>

SummerRain Thu 03-Feb-11 17:03:53

I wrote it out for ds1 but he couldn't read my writing blush

purpleturtle Thu 03-Feb-11 17:04:02

grin - I just asked DS2 if he could read any of it. He glanced towards the laptop and said "No." Then continued to ignore me.

Just checking he wasn't like Coldtits' DS.

ChasingSquirrels Thu 03-Feb-11 17:07:18

my just 5yo couldn't - the only words he can read without sounding out are "the" and his name and mum.

the only words in the passage he could read WITH sounding out are

to
Lily (friend of his)
will
the
lot (but probably not lots)
fun

preghead Thu 03-Feb-11 17:08:54

No I reckon my y1 age 6 only just able now

rabbitstew Thu 03-Feb-11 17:12:21

I would say reading fluently is reading clearly, without hesitation and with enough expression to show you understand the meaning of what you are saying.

blackeyedsusan Thu 03-Feb-11 19:06:27

Yes, fluently and with the right expression for the question. <jumps around with glee that she can do something!>

however reading is her "thing" and there are many things that you would expect the average child to do that she can't.

I have had to endure years of is she not potty trained yet, and can she walk talk yet which were all late so please excuse one moment of proud mummying.

agree with wannabe about they all have something they are good at.

Hulababy Thu 03-Feb-11 19:16:16

The avergae child, ime, - no.

Some children will be able to read it fluently.
Some wil be able to sound out most words.
Some will identify the high frequency words.
Some won't be able to read a single word.

DanJARMouse Thu 03-Feb-11 19:19:09

DD1 started reception at 4.1 and yes, could have read it but she was and still is an exceptional reader.

DD2 started school at 4.10 and still couldnt read that now, and she was 5 in October.

Flowergarden1 Thu 03-Feb-11 19:22:13

DS is five in May and managed the passage quite fluently, except for 'walk'.

MoldyWarp Thu 03-Feb-11 19:27:34

my son 4.11 read it but sounding out a lot
we think he is a fab reader compared to my others and he did not find it easy

5goingon13 Thu 03-Feb-11 19:43:12

Have just asked ds he's 5.1 and in reception, it's a No from us grin

PatTheHammer Thu 03-Feb-11 19:50:43

DD is 4.8 and could read all except 'Lily's' without prompting. But quite slowly.

She is quite a good reader in her class, so in answer to your question, no, 'most' reception children would not be able to read it. Some of her friends are just starting the books with only a few words as they have struggled to pick up the sounds.

StrawberryMess Thu 03-Feb-11 20:36:24

DS1 is 5.2. Could read all except walk and struggled with there. Very slowly though, with lots of sounding out.

wearymum200 Thu 03-Feb-11 21:08:42

DS, nearly 5 yes. Average, judging by his class, probably not. As above, all normal!

princessglitter Thu 03-Feb-11 21:22:06

dd could read that easily - but she is not the average reception child, as she reads with year 1.

dikkertjedap Thu 03-Feb-11 21:38:08

DD is almost 5 and could easily read this. She started reception in September and was a fluent reader by Christmas. I assume that all the kids in her reading group can therefore easily read it. Not sure about all the children in the class though (teacher divides children in different groups for literacy, numeracy, etc.). However, would it matter? I think they just try to find out her reading level to find out what group to place your dd in? So if she can't read it at the moment, it doesn't matter at all, quite soon she will be able to. DD's teacher told us at the first parent's evening that dd would be a fluent reader by Christmas, we didn't believe it at the time, but the teacher has been right. I mean to say, once they get the hang of it, they can go really quickly.

MoldyWarp Thu 03-Feb-11 21:43:05

means bog all. Its all too often the real bright sparks in reception are average by secondary age and vice versa wink

Oldsilver Thu 03-Feb-11 21:43:40

DS 5.1 yes fluently apart from "Lily's" seems to have a blind spot for names.

cazzybabs Thu 03-Feb-11 21:46:17

i haven't read everyuone's response...but i wouldn't take the teacher's response as negative. i would think she knows where the child is and where she needs to go next

madwomanintheattic Thu 03-Feb-11 21:50:48

my odd three out would have been able to, but they are a bit wordy and weren't considered 'average' in yr r. as a reading buddy, i've worked with yr 2s who would struggle with that passage, and then would be reading fluently in the next term... when it clicks, it clicks. it doesn't mean a lot.

PaisleyLeaf Thu 03-Feb-11 21:52:04

I don't think you should take the teacher's comments too negatively. I think the point in the assessing is what to work towards next. So for your DD it'll be to read more fluently and better understanding. I think the teacher saying that is fine.
Maybe a smiley face with the comment wouldn't have gone amiss.

dikkertjedap Thu 03-Feb-11 22:09:30

I really wouldn't worry OP. I think that it is positive that the teacher has high expectations, all research shows that teachers with high expectations can get a lot more out of children. The assessment gives a good starting base and the teacher can now make a plan to improve your dd's reading. Also, in many countries children don't learn to read until much older, however I expect that your dd might grasp it really quickly if she has a driven teacher, so who knows, comes Summer she might easily and fluently read (and if not, don't worry, she will get there in her own time as long as she keeps enjoying it). And yes, my dd reads fluently, no halting or anything but that is only since right before the X-mas Holiday, even in November she was still stopping for certain words. It was suddenly like a large step up. Sometimes a double edged sword because she insists in reading whole books before bedtime which does take about 30 mins rather than the usual 10 mins I had imagined.

Ds certainly couldn't have read that in reception, or yr 1 tbh. Reading only clicked for him half way through yr2.

MerryMarigold Thu 03-Feb-11 22:13:31

Blimey. What kind of school do your kids go to? My Reception Age child is learning 'mmmm', 'mmmmmm', 'd-d-d-dinosaur' etc. They will start putting words together one of these days grin!

dikkertjedap Thu 03-Feb-11 22:14:00

OriginalNutcracker, most boys become fluent readers later than girls, so that is entirely normal as well. Boys and girls just learn in a different way and boys tend to be ahead with building games/ 2D and 3D shapes etc.

i's not about whether they can read it though, as some might be able to. They should be able to understand the words and the sentence and what it means.

pointythings Thu 03-Feb-11 22:27:59

DD1 - No, not until end of YrR
DD2 - yes, definitely.

It means nothing though - children develop at different stages and reading especially goes in leaps, not in a steady improvement. Reading clicked with DD1 early on in Yr 1, with DD2 term 2 in YrR - they are now both well above average readers but I tell them not to get smug because people will catch them up!

allchildrenreading Fri 04-Feb-11 02:37:00

pfft -

"i's not about whether they can read it though, as some might be able to. They should be able to understand the words and the sentence and what it means."

How on earth can you extract meaning from text if you can't read the words?

And how are children expected to read words that are in advance of their code knowledge? This is a very misguided 'test' - it certainly isn't testing the appropriate alphabetic code
knowledge that would give accurate and useful feedback for teacher and parent.

duchesse Fri 04-Feb-11 02:47:12

2 or my older three could have done- they were reading at 4 on the dot. The oldest one would have been able to do it by 5, but is young for his year so turned 5 at the end of reception. Having said that he was writing before he went to school so maybe he could have read that and I'm just misremembering.

allchildren - eh? Clearly I mean that some children will be able to read the words, yet not all within that group will be able to fully comprehend the meaning of the text that they are reading. Not the other way round, you numpty.

KangarooCaught Fri 04-Feb-11 08:12:42

DS1 - yes
DD2 (4 yr 9m) who is not as good as her brother and ability wise at this stage average, just read it but v e r y s l o w l y, sounding out the letters as she went and struggled on 'Lily', 'cake' and 'walk', so similarish to your dd.

If I saw that comment, I'd be ok with it because it's a statement of fact. What it also shows btw, is that your dd has consolidated all letter sounds and is blending them well, but maybe that is not what the assessment criteria was.

littlebylittle Fri 04-Feb-11 08:20:54

Dd, 5, can. What are we all to do with the results of our assessment now!!

coccyx Fri 04-Feb-11 08:53:03

its all madness. Reception is the year group with huge variations in ability. A child who has turned 5 in September is more likely to be further on the average just turned 4 in August child.
All evens out . Concentrate on fact that your child is progressing. sod the others

Tried it with ds last night, he only got as far as "want" and then told me it couldn't be "want" because that would be spelt "w-u-n-t". So I was wrong, and he refused to read any more. From this I conclude:

- phonics knowledge not bad
- sight words need work
- awkward sod and pedant in the making!

BaresarkBunny Sat 05-Feb-11 11:53:13

DS is 5 in May and read it confidently but that's his thing, he struggles in other areas.

mrz Sat 05-Feb-11 13:57:54

I'm still not sure what the teacher hoped to achieve by asking a child to read that particular text hmmnot much of an assessment IMHO

mrz Sat 05-Feb-11 13:58:47

"want" isn't a sight word

ElsieMc Sat 05-Feb-11 16:21:07

Got him to read off the screen and he could do most of it, some with prompting. I am told he is slightly below average in his year as they are all quite good achievers, but I'm not worried any way - they all learn to read in the end fgs.

I'm just grateful he's grasped some of it fairly early - my eldest daughter didn't get the basics til the very end of reception and I remember wanting to scream if I ever had to look at a Bangers and Mash (she's in her early twenties now) book ever again.

NancyDrewHasaClue Sat 05-Feb-11 16:43:55

DS (4.10) can read most of it fluently (paused with cake and walk but did get them).

But he started prep school nursery age 3 and is pretty much top of his class for reading.

My DD is in year 1. I don't think she could have read this at this stage in reception, but she is now reading lime books and one of the best in her year as far as I know. She didn't really click with reading until Easter of reception.

Seems an odd "test". Perhaps it is being used just to work out what level they are currently at so that they can work from there?

littleducks Sat 05-Feb-11 17:00:49

I just got dd who is 5 in may to read this, I had to enlarge text a bit though

She struggled with 'want' and 'walk' and 'Lily' but unlike the others immediately read 'cake' with no hesitation....so she has obviously got the important stuff sussed

missmapp Sat 05-Feb-11 17:11:46

When ds1 was in reception, they told me that he was struggling with his reading, they then told me he had a rewading age of 6.4- he was 5 at the time- it left me very confused! There are some excellent readers in his class, so I guess comparitively he was struggling.

EvilTwins Sat 05-Feb-11 18:15:40

I just got DTD1 to read it. She is 4.7 and in reception, She could read it, except for "walk", "cake" and "come". They're quite far through phonics, but haven't done the "magic e" rule yet, so "cake" was tricky. On the other hand, she's had a million Ginn books with the word "want" in (Sam wants a book... Rosie wants a book (yawn)) so didn't stumble on that one.

allbie Sat 05-Feb-11 20:51:54

Yes, my 4yr old can read it.

Ferguson Sat 05-Feb-11 21:31:37

Having been a TA in an Infant school for ten years, and in Secondary for a couple of years - at the risk of being too provocative - I have known Year 9 kids that could NOT read this sentence fluently and with full understanding!

I have only been in MN a few weeks, but, like a few other post-ees, I have been dismayed at the parental obsession with "reading" at an early age.

Many years ago I think it was Glen Doman (or some such name) advocated teaching babies to read by the use of large flash-cards from a few months old.

Forgive me if I upset people, but the offspring of MN families are NOT your average child; as parents you are obviously clever enough and motivated enough to join MN and take part in these discussions. I have worked with children whose parents can't confidently read and write, some can barely converse in proper sentences. When I try and convince children that the word "think" is thus spelt, they might say, No, it must be "fink" - because that is the only way they have ever heard it spoken.

It has been said that seventy percent of a child's reading ability comes from home. Presently, two days a week (as a volunteer) I support a Reception group of five children in a mixed KS1 class, and they are learning to recognise the first few sounds - s, a, t, i, m. And even this is an uphill struggle. Some can now sound out, or recognise, "Sam sit": we count that as progress! If, as is quite possible, the ONLY use of sounds, words and reading, is what they get in school, and there is NO support or reinforcement of reading in the home, it is hardly surprising that many children come to the end of Primary school with a reading age of around seven.

It was the media revelation a few months ago of the low standards of reading in Year 6 that prompted me to Google "reading standards" : Mumsnet came up first, followed by BBC. I have made a few 'posts' on Primary topics, and in due course hope to delve deeper into this educational 'minefield'!

If I have shocked, annoyed or in other ways, distressed you, I do apologise.

Regards,
Ferguson

squidgy12 Sat 05-Feb-11 21:43:08

Message withdrawn

allchildrenreading Sat 05-Feb-11 23:39:14

Honestly, Ferguson, the most important factor in reading ability is a. knowledge of the abphabetic code b. a reputable phonics programme which adheres to Sir Jim Rose's Early Reading Report c. a sensitive awareness of those children who take longer to acquire basic skills (nothing to do with intelligence, and little to do with parental input). d. plenty of additional practice using appropriate, well structured decodable books.

AnaS Sun 06-Feb-11 11:54:41

my eldest dd could have read it in reception but she picked it up very quickly. dd is much more average (i know because i help readers in school)and she would struggle. she could probably do about half sounding them out. if this is the assessment, they probably don't expect them all to read the whole thing just need an idea where they're at i would think

princessglitter Sun 06-Feb-11 12:03:10

Think dd is v odd - tried this with her and she read the whole post (just stopping to sound out assessed) honestly!

princessglitter Sun 06-Feb-11 12:10:11

She only read up to the word 'above' think the word 'figure' and 'individual' would have flummoxed her! She is 4.10 and reads ORT 7 at school.

AdelaofBlois Sun 06-Feb-11 12:11:23

I suspect this wasn't 'assessment' in quite the way it's been explained. The school I work at did a similar exercise: the point is to tick a list of words decoded as the text is read, not that 'passing' is to read it or that it is all expected to be read. When I did it I noticed that the BEd placement simply did the exercise, but that I and the TA explained to the kids beforehand that they weren't expected to read it all, that they should do what they could, and then totted up the total and showered praise on the words they had read. The exercise is odd, but it has clearly been poorly explained here as well. I don't think your DC has been 'assessed' as poor at reading if it was not fully read.

@ Ferguson. Rose based his work on a two-stage model of reading (basically 'decoding' and 'comprehension'). He also recommended early teaching focus on the first stage. My own observations at that level (Reception/KS1) have been that parental input is not as key as would be expected, and where it does matter it lies more in comprehension (ORT have a rather middle-class vocabualry range) not sounding itself. Only now in Yr1 is regular practice at home really starting to show-those whose reading diaries are full are moving up sets and those who were equally bright and able at the start of the year falling back. Basically, you can teach the skills, but practice makes them more natural, and more practice makes patterns easier to spot. But the skills thenmsleves are enormously important, and it would be wrong to underestimate the role of schools in developing them.

Out of interest, does your school run an adult intervention programme too? Ours is trying to get one up and running, especially in Maths. I'm tempted to offer something MFL based, a more typical adult education programme but that would get them working alongside their kids in positive ways.

Louii Sun 06-Feb-11 12:13:23

My 5 year old just surprised me and could read it all apart from Lily and there.

He is in primary 1 and they use Jolly Phonics, I know there are other children in his class whose reading is far better.

Don't think it means anything really, probably just depends on the teaching method, jolly phonics certainly teaches them quickly.

We are not from a posh area and DS goes to local village school.

AdelaofBlois Sun 06-Feb-11 12:14:06

Or a 'reading buddy' system. Several of our kids meet up with their KS2 reading partners out of school. There are more ways than parents to get practice done....

mixedmamameansbusiness Sun 06-Feb-11 16:07:44

There are 5 children in DSs class who would be able to read this (i know this as these children do "reading" separately to the rest of the class), However, there are 28 in the class so most wouldnt.

15 children started in Sept so 10 who have been reading for a term would probably struggle a little.

DS would be able to, but he has really embraced reading and he reminds me to do the reading with him and picks books from his shelf to try as well, if he wasnt really into it himself I imagine he wouldnt either.

2pinkmonkeys Mon 07-Feb-11 10:54:06

my dd could have read it but would have needed to sound out alot of the words.

My DS (year 1) could read it easily but my DS in reception would be able to pick out a few words.

VeggieReggie Mon 07-Feb-11 10:59:18

OP: My children would not have been able to read that in R.

civil Mon 07-Feb-11 11:35:57

Depends on the child. My dd would have been able to read that by the end of reception, along with a couple of other children in her class.

mrsruffallo Mon 07-Feb-11 11:39:39

'party' and 'walk' might take a bit of effort but he could read the rest

ellina Mon 07-Feb-11 21:04:53

Yes at 5.5. But most of the 4 yr olds in her class can't read yet - whereas most of the 5 yr olds can.

howmuchyousay Mon 07-Feb-11 22:17:29

DS would be able to read this but would probably struggle with walk.

He is doing jolly phonics at school. He hasn't done magic e at school yet but has played the Alphablocks song ad infinitum grin.

He's on ORT stage 2.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 07-Feb-11 22:18:57

No, but he's in Welsh school.

He wouldn't be able to read the equivalent in Welsh yet.

Nippolopolis Mon 07-Feb-11 22:27:19

No, he could sound out a few words.

He's 5 next month.

Xenia Mon 07-Feb-11 22:36:37

Depends on the child. At 3, nearly 4, our second one could read lots. At an assessment for a school they couldn't find a book in the reading scheme she couldn't read. her sister who is older and got into her school Habs a year young, didn't really get to grips with reading until she was six. Yet 20 odd years later they have almost identical CVs, exam results, career structures. So I don't think it really matters when they start reading, young or old although obviously if someone has a fundamental difficult with it which requires special help the sooner that is realised the better.

figcake Tue 08-Feb-11 10:00:01

Yes - but it is a shame he would not be given it at school. He is 5 but still being forced to read level 1 and yesterday was a bit disruptive for the first time. There is nothing worse than a school which sets the bar too low IMO

dinkystinky Tue 08-Feb-11 10:01:57

God no!

CharlieBoo Wed 09-Feb-11 13:12:04

My ds is 5 and in year 1 and yes now that would be no problem, but a year ago in reception there's no way he'd be able to do all of it.

learnandsay Thu 08-Nov-12 18:08:36

"I want to go to Lily's party. I will go on the bus, then I will walk. There will be cake and lots of fun. Do you want to come too?"

I just asked my four year old Reception starter to read it on my computer screen. She had to sound out Lily, (but got it after two tries.) She also needed two tries with cake. The rest she got with no problem.

MegBusset Thu 08-Nov-12 18:10:26

DS1 wouldn't have been able to at this time last year (his school don't start any phonics work in reception til after October half term). He would have been able to probably by Easter.

beezmum Thu 08-Nov-12 18:13:30

This is an old thread... Thought it didn't make sense at this time of year!

simpson Thu 08-Nov-12 18:15:04

DD read this easily and with no sounding out but she is pretty good at reading (reception)....

ontheedgeofwhatever Thu 08-Nov-12 18:16:23

DD would have been able to but she was above average at reading and well below average at certain other things so I suppose it all evened out

learnandsay Thu 08-Nov-12 18:16:54

Simpson, my dear, how did your daughter get the hang of split digraphs/magic e?

Bonsoir Thu 08-Nov-12 18:18:31

My DD wouldn't have known where to begin, in either of her languages! However, at 8 (tomorrow) she devours books in both English and French nad has a reading age of 11. Please don't worry!

LeeCoakley Thu 08-Nov-12 18:19:49

I'm amazed at so many children after half a term at school can read 'want'. How?

LeeCoakley Thu 08-Nov-12 18:21:22

Ha beezmum, I didn't realise the timing! Even so, 5 months is still pretty good for 'want' grin

PiedWagtail Thu 08-Nov-12 18:22:20

No. The words that could be sounded out/decoded, maybe, and the HF words on his list to learn in Reception - to, go, lily, party, etc. But words like 'cake' - no, he's just learning that in Year 1. 'Come' and 'walk' are tricky too. what a bizarre sentence!

learnandsay Thu 08-Nov-12 18:22:41

My daughter reads ant and adds a w to make w-ant, and then somehow translates that into want. I think it's because she knows that there's no other word that it could be.

jojane Thu 08-Nov-12 18:27:53

Ds1 would have been able to read that but he is very advanced in reading
Dd who is in reception and was 4 in July would probably only be able to sound put a couple of words, maybe more with lots and lots of help

LiegeAndLief Thu 08-Nov-12 18:30:20

My ds would not have been able to read that until he was about 5.3 and into Y1.

simpson Thu 08-Nov-12 18:30:21

LandS the honest answer is I don't know [blush

She just seemed to watch a few episodes of alphablocks and watched the magic e one a few times and just "knew" it. She is still not perfect but managed this sentence ok...I teach show her the vowels though when she was in nursery (but made it into a game)...

She finds it tougher if the e is not at the end of the word ie "mistaken" but she is getting there grin

simpson Thu 08-Nov-12 18:32:28

Not teach but did blush

learnandsay Thu 08-Nov-12 18:37:12

Right. Mine could always read the words which had no alternatives like spade, pole, etc. But till last week she struggled with words which make sense without the e, hate, fate and so on. I taught her magic e and made a game out of it and now she's off. I showed her split digraphs too, just in case she gets introduced to those further up the line. I didn't think she'd take to those so well and maybe she hasn't. But in the car on the way to school she wanted to play the game where you cut open the word and put letters in. So we did. I guess it's not all that hard after all.

learnandsay Thu 08-Nov-12 18:41:51

What does your daughter make of c sounding like s in words like reception?

simpson Alphablocks is a fab programme isn't it? DD loves it and has taught herself to read as a result, and would be able to read most of the words in the OP's example.

I'm at a bit of a loss what to do with her tbh - she's 3.4. At this rate she'll be past the phonics stage when she starts school and I don't imagine the teacher will be very pleased!

youarewinning Thu 08-Nov-12 18:47:12

My August born DS wouldn't have been able to read it all either. He probably would have got cake though wink

Hes 8yo and year 4 now and just read it but slowly hmm

Iceaddict Thu 08-Nov-12 18:53:22

My ds 4.7 can read words like got, get, it, and, mum, dad etc. he's struggle with stuff like do on his own as he would read 'd-o' not 'doo' iyswim. And he would sound some of the letters out before he knows what the word says

RyleDup Thu 08-Nov-12 18:59:48

Dd could read most of it, apart from Liily's, party and cake, where she would try to sound it out and need a bit of help. She's 5.2, in reception at the moment.

RyleDup Thu 08-Nov-12 19:00:43

She wouldn't be able to read it quickly though.

maizieD Thu 08-Nov-12 19:26:02

I'm amazed at so many children after half a term at school can read 'want'. How?

Probably because it is one of the old '45 YR/1 High Frequency Words' which many teachers still waste focus lots of time on teaching the children by way of flash cards of the whole word.

It may be a 'useful' word but I wonder if these children could also read 'wash' and 'wasp' (which follow the same principle of 'a' after a 'w' sounds as /o/)

simpson Thu 08-Nov-12 19:30:48

Joyfulpuddlejumper - DD taught herself to read before she started nursery (I don't know how as she did not watch alphablocks much then)...

Her nursery teacher is the same one she has in reception this year and has been fab at extending her phonics knowledge...

simpson Thu 08-Nov-12 19:31:46

DS (now yr3) could not read until feb of reception though...

wordfactory Thu 08-Nov-12 19:41:13

Nope.

And I now have two highly proficient readers. Both academically high achieving.

learnandsay Thu 08-Nov-12 19:41:52

Simpson, you're lucky that she had a nursery teacher who was hot on pre-reading. And you're also lucky that the same person is working with your daughter now. (Well, so am I. In my case that person is me.)

Dededum Thu 08-Nov-12 19:42:50

Not either of my two.

DS1 read Harry Potter in year 3.

wordfactory Thu 08-Nov-12 19:52:32

If a child happens to be a quick reader then that's lovely but it is far more important that they are read to, that their comprehension is meticulous and that they love books!

mrz Thu 08-Nov-12 19:53:50

"It may be a 'useful' word but I wonder if these children could also read 'wash' and 'wasp' (which follow the same principle of 'a' after a 'w' sounds as /o/)"

I would expect that children would be told that the letter <a> in "want", "wash", "wasp" "watch" etc follows the same principle as in "was" fairly early in reception

learnandsay Thu 08-Nov-12 19:57:45

She's gone to bed now. But I'll ask her tomorrow night and see what she makes of those other words. I'm pretty sure she'll get wash and watch straight away. So really, the interesting one will be wasp.

ScaredySquirrel Thu 08-Nov-12 19:58:27

my 4.6 year old couldn't read this. I"m not sure he could even read one word actually apart from "I" .

None of my other children could read this at this stage in the school year either . They are all in the top groups now,

simpson Thu 08-Nov-12 20:01:54

DD had phonics lessons from April in nursery ( alongside a few others)...

Her teacher is truly fab but tbh the way she has picked up most of the sounds is by me showing her or telling her as they appear in books we read together.

The HT at my DC school insists that all kids read basic jolly phonics books (think one word per page and then lift a flap to see a picture). We were lucky to get them out of the way in nursery so she can move on to the next lot of books which are still tedious

DD could read wasp, wash and want I am sure....

She read the word "instruction" this eve,I don't have a clue how she learnt that tbh....she just seems to "get" reading....

simpson Thu 08-Nov-12 20:03:40

Forgot watch, she would probably get that too....

She had a mental block with would/could/should for a while but seem to be over it now grin

RabbitsMakeGOLDEggs Thu 08-Nov-12 20:05:57

Mine couldn't read any of it. Struggling to engage her at all with reading, she is very distracted. She's a June baby so quite young, but my son all but self taught and was reading early, so it's very challenging trying to help her grasp things.

learnandsay Thu 08-Nov-12 20:05:57

My daughter reads words that I wouldn't expect too, like precisely and decided. She surprises me with all kinds of weird stuff. Mind you, if mum is really pleased when daughter reads some weird random word I can see a form of motivation going on.

learnandsay Thu 08-Nov-12 20:11:15

Rabbits, besides singing the phonics song with my daughter when she was two, I used to write simple pseudo-words like moo, foo, boo on sheets of paper and put them on the floor. I would call them out and my daughter would find the correct word and bring it to me. We ended up with about sixty or more words I think and gave up when they would no longer fit on the livingroom floor.

ornellaia Thu 08-Nov-12 20:16:09

My DS is 5.10 and would have been absolutely fine to read that a year ago. But we home ed and reading has always been his 'thing', I don't think most children who've just started reception would be able to read that easily and fluently. I don't think DD would have been able to at reception age and she's a good reader now (aged 7).

noisytoys Thu 08-Nov-12 20:17:30

DD 4.6 can read it fluently but she is a good reader. She started reception on orange band. I am aware that is the exception and don't expect DD2 to be the same when she starts school

learnandsay Thu 08-Nov-12 20:19:23

Noisytoys, please don't compare your two children. I have two daughters and I make a point of not doing that.

noisytoys Thu 08-Nov-12 20:21:39

I won't compare them. They are two different people with different personalities and different talents and both fabulous

Flumpyflumps Thu 08-Nov-12 20:22:22

My eldest has just started reception and is 4. She has 4 sound cards that theystarted this week and is doing picture only books at school. No words at all. Is this really behind then?

learnandsay Thu 08-Nov-12 20:23:00

wink

simpson Thu 08-Nov-12 20:26:04

Flumpy - DD is in a class of 80 (with 3 teachers but all in one room iyswim) and there are 2 kids who can read well (DD and another boy) and there are maybe another 6 or 7 (I think) who can read at a "Cat sat on a mat" type level.

The rest are learning their sounds for the first time....

learnandsay Thu 08-Nov-12 20:28:32

Flumpy, I don't know. You'd need to ask the school. Some children can already read when they arrive in Reception. (A very few I think.) But there are schools that already know this and still want all children to start on picture books because it leads to "working out the story." Then there are schools which send home books that they know are too easy because it builds the child's confidence. Then there are schools which don't send books home at all until Easter. The list of behaviours goes on and on and on. But what I would say is, if your child can already read then get books from the library. That way it doesn't matter so much what the school does.

MrsGrieves Thu 08-Nov-12 20:33:36

No, my dd could, my ds couldn't. Now ds1 is in year 1 and we are slogging through the biff and kippers I realise how easy I had it with dd blush. I honestly thought my ds1 would be said to be behind at his recent parents evening, but no he is doing fine and is about average I think, my expectations were too high after dd.

Conversely dd seems to have stalled a bit really, she is in year 4 and still doing well, but a bit lazy and resting on her laurels it seems, she is still obviously able and in the top groups, but not exceptional iyswim.

troubador Thu 08-Nov-12 20:36:02

No, mine couldn't!

She's 4.2 and I was chuffed she could read "tim got a mop", tbh!

Does it matter whether other children can read it though, I mean, really? I don't doubt my 4 yr old will be able to read that at some point, so all is good.

mrz Thu 08-Nov-12 20:38:05

No Flumpy it isn't really behind. Some schools simply wait until the children are settled and assessed before beginning.

Lougle Thu 08-Nov-12 20:51:18

Remember too, that children are vastly different ages in Yr R. My DD2 is in Yr 1 now, but is only 5.3, just two weeks older than the oldest Yr R child.

losingtrust Thu 08-Nov-12 20:52:59

Mine would definitely not

kitkat1967 Thu 08-Nov-12 21:43:31

DS would have easily have read this by Xmas in reception - fluently I suspect, but DD would have been struggling in Yr 1. Anyway, many years on she is a very keen and capable reader smile

Fortunately for me DD is the eldest so it was a relief that DS 'could just do it' and we did not have a repeat for the 3 yrs of stress we had with DD!!

simpson Thu 08-Nov-12 22:20:05

LAndS - missed your post about "reception"

Honestly I am not sure if she could read it but she has no problem with face, case, race etc and I have never had to tell her what they are so she has probably worked it out for herself (I can see her following the words on the page when I read her a bedtime story)

She corrects me if I try to miss bits out blush

naturalbaby Thu 08-Nov-12 22:32:56

ds is exactly 4 1/2 this week - he was only just reading words before 1/2 term and this week can read 'fat cat, sat on a mat, sit on a pin' type sentences.

ilovetermtime Thu 08-Nov-12 22:40:24

Not a chance!

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 08-Nov-12 22:41:20

not DS1 in reception. He could now in yr2!

learnandsay Thu 08-Nov-12 22:45:53

Don't worry if this post or that post gets missed. It's all good. I can't quite remember why now. But I did have to teach my daughter about the letter c pretending to be the letter s. We call it a bendy-K (I've no idea why I/we chose that phrase. Probably to signify the c bending to become an s.) She seems to be able to switch sounds automatically in some words but not others. Since we introduced the bendy-K it's worked out much better.

birdbrain17 Thu 08-Nov-12 22:52:59

I am a reception teacher and most of those words a child of 4 should be able to read or at least sound them out as they are phonetic.

BooksandaCuppa Thu 08-Nov-12 23:00:12

Maybe by February (when this post first started) but surely not at this stage of the year for most children - only 8 weeks in and some schools don't even start their reception children 'til 4 weeks in?

RiversideMum Fri 09-Nov-12 07:14:30

None of my class would be able to read that passage. It's stuffed full of tricky words and PGCs that we have not yet learnt. Thinking back over the past 3 years, only 1 child out of 90 who have been in my class would have been able to read that at this time of the year.

learnandsay Fri 09-Nov-12 07:32:31

As far as

wash
wasp
want

go I did ask her to read them this morning (but I put was, which she can already read at the top of the list to get her in the right frame of mind.)

she read wa-sh, made it into wash, and then back to wa-sh again. So I told her that you wa-sh your face and of course she made it back to wash. She made was-p and didn't seem to have any idea what that word was until I asked her if she knew what a was-p was. Then she made it into wasp, and of course the other two she read without any trouble.

learnandsay Fri 09-Nov-12 07:34:51

I think her reading might have improved slightly this morning after I turned cbeebies off but I'm not sure.

learnandsay Fri 09-Nov-12 07:41:25

It just occurred to me, she's not at all used to being given lists of words to read out of context. (We don't do that.)

My DD2 is 4.9 and doesn't even know all her letters yet, let alone being able to read!! Reception children have only been in school half a term, so unless they've been taught to read outside school, how on earth would they know how to read yet? I'm quite impressed by how many MNer's children are reading before school. DD2's class are still all learning basic letters - S, A, T etc, and covering high-frequency words. Certainly not expected to read yet.

DD1 hardly knew any letters either when she started school, and is now above average for her age in year 3. So I'm not remotely worried - they all learn eventually.

Oh. How did this zombie thread get resurrected?

simpson Fri 09-Nov-12 07:56:59

DD has had a couple of reading assessments done at school/nursery on the computer so I think she would be ok to read them...( wasp, wash etc)

simpson Fri 09-Nov-12 08:00:04

She could not read wasp but read the others ok....

learnandsay Fri 09-Nov-12 09:32:47

Personally I'm not sure what difference reading early makes. But one thing which is obvious is that if the child can read she can read. That's one less thing to worry about.

radicalsubstitution Fri 09-Nov-12 10:02:58

I once taught a child with a severe learning difficulty. She could read beautifully - fluently and with lots of expression. She could read quite difficult technical words.

she had absolutely no clue what she was reading. Her comprehension was extremely low. She left secondary school on approximately level 3.

learnandsay Fri 09-Nov-12 10:21:22

Isn't that the beginning of the discussion called "it all depends upon what one means by reading?"

Fuzzymum1 Fri 09-Nov-12 10:28:39

At this stage in reception? No!

My son is a very able reader and at this stage in reception he would have struggled with that passage. He would have been able to read it later in the year.

midseasonsale Fri 09-Nov-12 13:32:49

With my second we were vary laid back. He learnt his phonics and CVC words at school rather then before hand. He is only 4 and 3 months but a speedy learner.

Looking at the passage, I would say he would struggle with the words - 'the' (but not 'they' oddly), 'cake' and also possibly 'Lily's' maybe. He would have to sound out almost all the words though but could do so quickly.

My first would have read them all without hesitation but then he learned to read at home six months before (being the book worm he is - he was obsessed).

midseasonsale Fri 09-Nov-12 13:34:42

And just to also add, I agree you cannot gauge how bright is by how quickly they learn to read. There are so many different types of intelligence anyway, and reading is just one skill.

learnandsay Fri 09-Nov-12 14:05:45

I'm not sure what it says about the child's intelligence but it certainly says something about the child's ability to read which is what's intended.

mrz Fri 09-Nov-12 16:43:22

Reading early is not an indicator of future educational success or indeed of future reading success and certainly not, as midseasonsale say, a good way to gauge how bright a child is

learnandsay Fri 09-Nov-12 17:09:53

Being a good rugby player is not a good indicator of whether or not the person will make a good piano player. Being a good boxer is not a good indicator of whether or not the person will be any good at ballet..

Being a good reader is a good indication of whether or not the person is a good reader which is the point.

mrz Fri 09-Nov-12 17:18:34

being a good reader at age 4 or 5 is only an indicator of being a good reader at age 4 or 5 and not that they will continue to be a good reader at age 10 or 11 or 16 ...

learnandsay Fri 09-Nov-12 17:35:20

I don't know if that means that children once good at reading become bad at it. It might mean that some fail to progress beyond a certain stage. But I'm guessing that if they've got parents who are sufficiently concerned with their education and they go to good schools they'll probably do well. Of course no one can predict what's going to happen in the future. But then no one is trying to. All people are doing is making sure their children can read. No one can teach a four year old how to read when they're eleven unless they own a time machine. So stating that is a bit pointless.

mrz Fri 09-Nov-12 17:42:15

What it means learnandsay is that they are a good reader for a 5 year old but they may not develop into a good 11 year old reader because there are so many more higher order skills required as children mature.
Research suggest girls, in particular can start to struggle when things become more difficult (not just with reading and most with parents with high expectations) where slow starters are more resilient

learnandsay Fri 09-Nov-12 17:52:42

That's interesting. Can you please point me to some of this research? I suppose people who do not have high expectations placed upon them don't have to live up to them.

radicalsubstitution Fri 09-Nov-12 17:54:31

At 6, DS is an exceptionally good swimmer. He can swim 25m in good front crawl, dive, and pick an object off the bottom of a 1.5m pool.

Does that mean he is going to by an Olympic athlete? No - we just started him in lessons from 3.5. He will probably end up being a 'good' swimmer - but nothing exceptional.

I'm sure he could be exceptional if we sent him to lessons 6 days' a week . Just as some children pass A level maths at 7 years' old. Makes you wonder what the rest of their life is like?

learnandsay Fri 09-Nov-12 17:57:44

I guess people in the UK teach four year olds to read because children go to school at four. I guess is six year olds were winning the Olympics more of them would be turning up, twelve and thirteen year olds already are.

Tgger Fri 09-Nov-12 18:10:53

DS couldn't have read that in the first term of reception. Now age 6 he is very good for his age. He has learnt to read, enjoys books, has a love of books and stories. All good. I want to keep it that way so will keep encouraging. His swimming is dreadful........grin, am encouraging that too, for various reasons have only just started weekly lessons. He is perhaps in the bottom percentage in regard to water confidence and swimming for his age... but am happy to support him with that just as I support him with his reading. Maybe at age 8 it will have levelled out and he will be average at both for his age, we shall see.....

radicalsubstitution Fri 09-Nov-12 18:25:37

Tgger - that was my point.

DS was 'hothoused' when it came to swimming lessons as I had a (possibly unfounded) fear of him drowning by falling into a swimming pool.

Some people 'hothouse' their children when it comes to learning academically, as they are afraid that the education system will not teach/stretch/develop their skills adequately.

Our DSs will probably end up with a broadly similar swimming ability by 11 - just as they will probably end up with a broadly similar reading ability.

learnandsay Fri 09-Nov-12 18:28:34

Some schools in the UK are bloody awful. Some parents have a right to be worried.

Karoleann Fri 09-Nov-12 18:47:35

DS2 (4) wouldn't be able to read it apart from I and to, however, I could have and so could DS1 easily at the same age.
They're just identifing the really good readers, which is great.
All children read at different ages.

losingtrust Fri 09-Nov-12 19:01:06

That's funny my DS told himself to swim at 4 but learning to read not until 7 and now he is better at reading than swimming for his age!

Tgger Fri 09-Nov-12 19:12:12

I think you encourage your children in what you enjoy and what they enjoy- sometimes the two meet, sometimes not! So, DS was not exactly hothoused in reading, but he enjoyed letter sounds, knew them all earlier than most and had started blending before he was 5, taught by nursery. Then age 5 and a bit he was very ready and eager to read and learned very quickly. He was not so eager age 4.5, I remember having a go with him, but he didn't want to so we didn't push it.

simpson Fri 09-Nov-12 19:17:25

DD as I have already said can read well but what amazes me more than her reading is her complete obsession about wanting to do it.

She totally seems to have the love of reading already at 4 and has been like this for over a year now...

I am happier about that tbh than her actual reading level iyswim....

XBenedict Fri 09-Nov-12 19:20:14

DD1 would have been able to read that at reception age but DS - not a chance!

Jenny70 Fri 09-Nov-12 19:24:46

My DS is reception this year (and already 5, older in yeargroup). Couldn't read any of that.. even the number of words would freak him out. If it was his name, he'd spot that definitely, maybe the I's if prompted. But no way would he make any attempt at it.

Literacy not his strong suit. But he loves maths, and he'll get to reading when he's ready.

Rollmops Fri 09-Nov-12 21:54:07

DTs could read it, easily. 4.5 in Reception.

My dd, who is in reception could read that easily and could have a year ago. I know that she is ahead for her year though and dont think any of the other children in her class could

Melmagpie Fri 09-Nov-12 22:45:36

my dd is 5 and in yr 1 and could read this easily but no way a year ago in reception.

DrWhoBrain Sat 10-Nov-12 13:47:03

Im amazed by how well some children are reading i just asked ds who is 6 years 9 months and he struggled he had to sound out a few and couldnt get 'want' 'lilys' or 'party' at all he also struggled with walk but got it with prompting

learnandsay Sun 11-Nov-12 23:03:35

Today outside the supermarket she said that sign says carwash

How come she makes a dog's ear of wash and reads carwash? (Secretly I think I know the answer already.) A list of words without context has no context. In a way it's what phonicsy people are always talking about a "code".

But a carwash is a carwash, ie it's a place that washes cars, so why not have a sign outside saying carwash? (Hmm, maybe four year olds are smarter than us after all.)

simpson Sun 11-Nov-12 23:12:45

grin

They do surprise us sometimes!!

DD picked up a stage 8 ORT book yesterday and decoded it pretty much perfectly....

Although I reckon she only "understood" about 50-60% of it. But it was interesting to see how strong her phonics / decoding is....

Will be interested to see what parents eve brings ( it's on Tuesday)....

yorks05 Sun 11-Nov-12 23:30:55

Not even my ds (on lime in year 1) could have read that at this sstage of reception.

learnandsay Sun 11-Nov-12 23:31:37

I think there's quite a bit going on that we don't understand, and by that I mean none of us. Loads of people denigrate reciting familiar texts as not reading. (Personally I think they're often, but not always wrong, but we'll let that one go.) But the wee one was reading a Hopscotch Elves & Shoemaker today, with words like amazed, incredible and heaven knows what else. And I thought wait a minute. I know you can read, but not this well, surely! It turns out that the other half had read the book once (and only once, apparently) to her last week. I only got it from the library last week. Something's going on in the kid's brain if it can remember the word amazing or incredibly for a week. (And the other half is abroad at the moment, so it couldn't have been more.) It may not be scientifically significant, but if four year olds can remember and read words like incredibly and amazed, then why are we sending them home with:

Dot got a pot and Sam can ban a pan?

Bessie123 Sun 11-Nov-12 23:32:09

My dd is 4yrs 8 months and she could read it. I don't do extra reading with her at home, only those stupid Biff, Chip and Kipper books she gets from school for bedtime reading

londoniana Mon 12-Nov-12 17:02:30

at 4, I believe children should be able to play with others and learn through play!

my dd is in Reception, August born so fairly young. I'm rather annoyed with all the homework that WE get. phonetics, cursive handwriting, rhymes, etc.

having said that, DD loves the books she gets from school (3 books/week) and loves to do her homework for 10-min at a time (max!). we get to write 4 letters from Fri to Wed, it's too much!!

so my agenda is a bit different than her teacher's. I encourage her to look at the pictures and tell a story and draw things.

sounding out letters, blending, handwriting - for now I'll let the school deal with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now