reading levels year 1

(63 Posts)
teacherspet33 Mon 20-Sep-10 18:22:29

Hello, what is the average reading level/book band colour in year 1? I'm trying to work out how my child is compared to her peers.
Many thanks

mychatnickname Mon 20-Sep-10 18:26:45

For what it's worth, I think it's yellow/ green/ blue or yellow/ blue/ green iirc.

That Reading Chest website has a good page where it shows levels and typical ages.

ramonaquimby Mon 20-Sep-10 18:26:54

ah mnetters kids are brighter than average didn't you know? you won't get a balanced response!

(dd is on turquoise and she is still 5)

mychatnickname Mon 20-Sep-10 18:27:38

www.readingchest.co.uk/book-bands

sorry it was blue, green, orange.

chocolateorange Mon 20-Sep-10 18:30:29

yes, you'll only worry yourself as 99% of responces will be from parents with very able children.

dd is bog standard as is only just on blue books.

lovecheese Mon 20-Sep-10 18:36:48

Just out of interest teacherspet33, why do you want to compare her with her peers? And how are you going to find out what all the other children are reading? At my DCs school, reading is like salaries and religion - never discussed.

teacherspet33 Mon 20-Sep-10 18:47:21

Exactly! I can't ask "real" people so thought I'd try to gage it here! I just want an idea of how she's doing compared to others in her year. Teachers never give you any indication of where your child is. I'm repeatedly told it doesn't matter. But comparing to others really does seem the obvious way (to me) to rate where your child is.

lovecheese Mon 20-Sep-10 18:49:40

OK, I dont know you, (maybe I do!) ; DD was on purple level books at this stage in yr1.

teacherspet33 Mon 20-Sep-10 19:23:41

Wow! That's very good....I'm assuming she was above average?

lovecheese Mon 20-Sep-10 19:25:40

Yes.

magicmummy1 Mon 20-Sep-10 19:28:26

I know that my dd is not "average" for year 1, so I don't see much point in saying what level she is on. However, as far as I know, the rest of her year 1 class ranges from red to turquoise at present, so quite a range!

LittleCheesyPineappleOne Mon 20-Sep-10 19:32:34

I think blue and green (ORT 3-4 ish) are about average at this stage of yr 1. The most able children in DS1's class are on turquoise and purple (I think that's ORT 6-7).

Hulababy Mon 20-Sep-10 19:34:00

The clas teacher has just assessed all the children in the Y1 class I work in. Our colour bands at this point range from pink (with a couple not reading at all yet) to blue, with one girl much higher.

cazzybabs Mon 20-Sep-10 19:35:58

Thing about year 1 is they are all spread out depending upon parental input/nursery input.. by the end of year 2 they have all bunched up again

Hulababy Mon 20-Sep-10 19:38:29

Further to that most of our class are on Yellow, with lots on red too. We have a handful of pink and blue, one or two on green, one higher- can't remmeber but a big jumpo from others).

And this is an infant school which scores above average in reading at the end of KS1.

MN will never give you a fair representation of reading levels IME/IMO. It always comes out as being way way higher than what I see in the schools I work at or know people with children at. Maybe MN has a higher than average number of more able children, or only certain people post on such threads. But IME in many schools the levels are a lot lower than those given on MN.

Hmm, I never knew this and have just looked at DSs book and its a 'band 3 - yellow'

I'm a bit confused as that seems 'low' now when the teacher at the end of recpeption said he was one of the strongest readers and the sheet of 100 words they do, getting progressivly harder, he had got almost all of them.

When he reads his books to me he flies through them, doesn't even hesitate and now I'm thinking he might be on the wrong books for him?

I'm not a snooty mum, hahah, I just know hes a really good reader so this has puzzled me!

He is 6 in Dec too hmm < --- that hmmm is at the teacher, not DS! lol

mychatnickname Mon 20-Sep-10 19:56:02

Ds is on purple, could read white fairly easily but the question is do I tell the teacher and get the pushy parent or leave them to it?!

I think, although I don't know for sure that the top group in his class are on about ORT 4 or 5 and many are on 2 and 3. They take a slow pace at the school it seems as the top group seem quite bright kids to me.

DiscoDaisy Mon 20-Sep-10 20:03:02

Just looked for my DS on the reading chest website and he is turquoise bordering purple. He's one of the oldest in yr1 and is 6 tomorrow!

mychatnickname Mon 20-Sep-10 20:10:04

I wonder why Mumsnet threads like this seem so unrepresentative?

Either:

a. Mumsnetters are especially clever
or b. only those whose kids are doing very well post.

I quite like the idea of a. grin

julybutterfly Mon 20-Sep-10 20:19:03

Lol I think it's answer b.

DS is on the highest book band by quite a way in his year 1 class.....but as I always point out to parents who think I'm bragging, it's hardly something he'd put on his CV later in life.

As long as they're not struggling it's not really that important is it

collision Mon 20-Sep-10 20:21:41

Most of our Y1s came in on pink or red from Reception.

Our highest is orange.

they like them to come in on yellow.

DS is on blue and a more able reader.

It goes

grey pink red yellow blue green orange turq

domesticsluttery Mon 20-Sep-10 20:24:00

DS1 started Year 1 on Yellow and finished Year 1 on (I think) Blue.

DS2 started Year 1 on Yellow and finished on White.

Different teachers take them at different paces, some like them to read every book in every level whereas others push them through faster.

As long as your DC is progressing then I wouldn't worry. Children "get" reading at different times, they all seem to pretty much even out by Year 3 or 4.

domesticsluttery Mon 20-Sep-10 20:27:16

"DS is on the highest book band by quite a way in his year 1 class.....but as I always point out to parents who think I'm bragging, it's hardly something he'd put on his CV later in life"

DS2 was too, but still put his shoes on the wrong feet and couldn't ride a bike without stabilisers.

They all do it in their own time.

Anenome Mon 20-Sep-10 21:05:01

Can I butt in and ask another question? My DD is in a independant school and I wanted to se about levels also...but in our school they're not colou based bands...they're numbers...levels as in level 1, level 2 and so on.

Does anyone here have any idea about these books? They're called New Reading 360 (published by Ginn)

They're a bit crap tbh....DD htes the one she is on atm....has anyone got experience of these books?

Or should I start a new thread? DD is in year 2 and is on level 4..haven't a clue what that means as in my schol your kids books are also like religion/politics!

MollieO Mon 20-Sep-10 21:09:41

Anenome we have those too - they have two stories in each book and are 16 pages in total. They seem repetitive and rubbish imo. Ds is in yr 2 and on level 4 (red colour) too. Our daily reading homework takes under 5 minutes atm. Ds hates reading and this stuff will never inspire him.

Anenome Mon 20-Sep-10 21:11:41

Agree Mollie! My DD is on one called Animal Friends...it's green though...maybe the red ones come after the green ones? Bcause it says on the back that there are 18 of them in this level!

So boring for DD she hates them!

mychatnickname Mon 20-Sep-10 21:11:49

Have looked it up and Ginn level 4 seems to be the upper end of the green band.

Anenome Mon 20-Sep-10 21:12:55

Where did you find the reference mychatnickname? If you don't mind me asking... can't seem to find anything googling...

mychatnickname Mon 20-Sep-10 21:15:54

There's a guided reading level document on the internet somewhere which someone posted on here ages ago and I bookmarked. I will try and dig out the link.

Anenome Mon 20-Sep-10 21:17:11

Ooo thank you mychatnickname!

MollieO Mon 20-Sep-10 21:23:27

I've given up asking at school why ds has the books he does. His reading doesn't seem to progress but when I question it I'm told that they have a tried and tested method. Maybe they do but it doesn't seem to work for ds.

Interestingly the pressure seems to be off reading in yr 2 as we've been told the focus is on writing.

StarExpat Mon 20-Sep-10 21:26:23

With practice at home, children improve their reading by practicing reading things that they can read well, without need for support. So Totoros, if your child is flying through, that's great.

mychatnickname Mon 20-Sep-10 21:27:28

I agree to a point star...surely there need to be some new words occasionally?

MollieO Mon 20-Sep-10 21:28:31

Must be nice to have a child who is happy to practice reading at home. I have no idea how that feels!

Anenome Mon 20-Sep-10 21:28:33

I agree about the pressure easing on the reading...it is the writing that's in the spotlight for us too.

It's a relief but I still gt her teacher pushing me...we're expected to read at east 2 pages a night...and she does the same inn school daily....but I confess that this term I have not made her do the reading nightly as she's just peed off with it!

The only way I got her to do it tonight was by commenting and encouraging in the voice/character of Mrs Twit from The Twits!

StarExpat Mon 20-Sep-10 21:31:58

Yes absolutely mychatnickname But at home practice should be a child's chance to read fluently with ease for enjoyment.

littlegreenie Mon 20-Sep-10 21:32:29

why don't you ask your childs teacher???? that is infact their job. If your childs teacher is good you will get good information. Also, children do not learn in straight lines, they may take more time than other children to learn things, but they will more than likely get there in the end.

Try not to worry x

MollieO Mon 20-Sep-10 21:33:30

'read fluently with ease for enjoyment'? <<hollow laugh>>

Anenome Mon 20-Sep-10 21:33:55

StarExpat....but the stories are crap...so there's no enjoyment!

snice Mon 20-Sep-10 21:38:05

When I worked in a yr 1 class recently the children ranged from ORT Level 1+ to ORT Level 10 with the majority on 5-7 by the end of the school year

MollieO Mon 20-Sep-10 21:42:19

Ds was on ORT 4 at the end of yr 1 but only just and not secure. The expected level was apparently ORT 5 according to the other year teacher but ds's teacher denied there were expected attainment levels. Some of his classmates were on ORT 7-8.

StarExpat Mon 20-Sep-10 21:44:32

Well then that's a problem if the stories are crap. I don't like ORT stories either. I don't use them I can't really comment on the British system as I'm not in it. It is much more pushy different grin

Anenome Mon 20-Sep-10 21:46:34

What is ORT? confused

StarExpat Mon 20-Sep-10 21:47:59

Oxford Reading Tree. You know, Biff, Chip and friends. <yaaaaaaaawn> grin

Anenome Mon 20-Sep-10 22:00:06

Oh right! grin

MollieO Mon 20-Sep-10 22:01:31

Ginn and New Way (the other scheme we are subjected to) make ORT stories seem positively Booker-inspired.

ours dont do the ORT, they seem to be rigby books, and i have no idea where to find out the levels for them.

RoadArt Mon 20-Sep-10 22:07:10

You cant compare what levels of books other kids are on when they are from different schools.

All schools use the schemes for their own benefits, some will ensure that kids can "read" properly and fully understand the books, other schools will just upgrade the colours because a child has read the book, perhaps once, but isnt really able to understand it.

Some schools change books every day, others might not change the book for a couple of weeks.

Some use the books religiously as a true guide, others use the books as a means to just get kids to read.

There is no point getting anxious, worried, or upset by comparing, because you are not comparing apples with apples between different schools, and sometimes even classes within a school where teachers have different views of the use of the books.

To get general age guides, use the book websites and look at their reference tables.

And, speaking from experience of wanting to know just like you do now, it really doesnt matter down the line. The kids dont get better or worse thought of because of their reading or maths ability. Its more important that children can understand and discuss what they are reading, rather than racing through the colours but not have a clue about what they have read.

Just enjoy reading with your DC.

RoadArt Mon 20-Sep-10 22:08:58

http://fds.oup.com/www.oup.co.uk/pdf/oxed/primary/ ORTreadingAges.pdf

Heres the ORT reading guide

MollieO Mon 20-Sep-10 22:11:59

Good point RoadArt. I save my worry for comparing ds to his classmates. That is sufficiently depressing enough!

RoadArt Mon 20-Sep-10 22:12:59

I used to prefer the Rigby Rocket books to ORT. They used to have a wide range of topics, and non fiction as well as fiction books. They were so much more interesting to read, and also had guided questions for parents to discuss ideas with their kids to see if they understood what they read.

nevergoogle Mon 20-Sep-10 22:15:44

ok, so DS1 is in primary 1 (scotland), he's about to turn 6 and is on ORT red, stage 4.

is he decidedly average then?

<sobs into pillow>wink

StarExpat Mon 20-Sep-10 22:20:47

Rigby rocks

nevergoogle Mon 20-Sep-10 22:21:55

i've just checked the chart and it would appear he is a bit stupid.

so i'm with roadart.

sethstarkaddersmum Mon 20-Sep-10 22:23:40

that's where my dd is too Nevergoogle.
And she was such an early talker! shock

MollieO Mon 20-Sep-10 22:28:08

Could you do a link please - I cut and pasted and couldn't get it to work.

Ds was an early talker too. I already know he is 'average' as his yr 1 teacher told me last year.

RoadArt Mon 20-Sep-10 22:32:24

hope this works

ORTreadingAges.pdf"

RoadArt Mon 20-Sep-10 22:33:35
RoadArt Mon 20-Sep-10 22:34:11

sorry, that link doesnt work

LittleCheesyPineappleOne Mon 20-Sep-10 22:50:30
jellybrain Tue 21-Sep-10 14:46:48

I just had a look at the link thanks Little Cheesy- as i wsan't sure where dd should be at this stage. At the end of F1 her EYFS score for reading was 5 which is below average despite the fact that she was happily reading ORT level4. We did very little during the holiday I tried her with Stage 5 last week, she read at school yesterday and has been put onto Stage 6 - I've stopped worrying. She is 5years 2 months.

LittleCheesyPineappleOne Tue 21-Sep-10 15:51:19

Stage 6 is fab, she's clearly not struggling!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now