Good private primary schools in Greenwich/Blackheath?

(46 Posts)
Louplet Sat 11-Sep-10 22:50:08

Does anyone have any feedback on the Pointer School or the Steiner School in Blackheath? Or any other school in the Greenwich/Blackheath area? I don't come from this area originally and am at a bit of a loss re: feedback on school's here. Any positive or negative feedback much appreciated.

Talkinpeace Mon 15-Nov-10 22:17:09

I went to Blackheath High many years ago.
The Junior is now in the old senior in wemyss road.
No idea what the schools are like now though...

Toothypegs Wed 17-Nov-10 20:29:13

Hi Louplet

Thanks so much for the feedback. It sounds interesting to say the least!

I really hope that you have some success there (if you still want it after having seen it!)

We are going for the interview this month so will post thoughts back here. I'm a little nervous smile

Fingers crossed that you have some luck. Please keep us posted!

Louplet Fri 19-Nov-10 22:20:52

Hi Toothypegs

I can't believe it. DS1 is being offered a place at the Pointer School! I guess the interview went better than I thought.

Fingers crossed for you too.

Louplet Sun 28-Nov-10 21:26:01

Hi Toothypegs

Just wondered if you have had your interview at the Pointer School yet and if so what you thought?

Toothypegs Tue 21-Dec-10 07:44:28

Hi Louplet

Sorry it's taken so long to reply

That's fantastic news!! I'm really pleased for you.

We did have our interview. It was, as you say, odd!

We weren't there that long - he was very busy with other interviews. He didn't really seem to have the time to talk. We were told that there is a waiting list. However, he was quite insistent that we apply - so who knows!? I guess people must drop out along the way as they get places elsewhere.

I'm so happy that you got a place though! I guess you are going to take it? Let us know how you get on! x

Louplet Tue 28-Dec-10 21:36:53

Hi Toothypegs

No problem. Sounds like a similar experience. He was pretty definite that they were full at our interview but firm that we should apply and we got a place! So, it is worth applying if you are interested. There is another thread on Pointers that I started if you want to see some more feedback like I did.

We have accepted the place : ) It is for reception in September next year.

Hope you had a great Christmas. Good luck with whatever you decide to do re: schools.

Talkinpeace Tue 28-Dec-10 22:02:29

now I know why old school friends have moved away from Blackheath as their kids have hit school age.
I went to BHS senior only. Sister went to junior and senior, other sister junior only.
Brothers went to dustbins (St Dunstans)

Louplet Tue 28-Dec-10 23:31:48

Absolutely. It is a jungle out there! I was brought up in Welling and went to Chis and Sid and was just totally unprepared for how Machiavellian and/or organised you have to be to get into a good school in Greenwich.

Toothypegs Sat 08-Jan-11 14:45:16

Just a quick one! Louplet - I wanted to let you know that we got a place! How odd - especially when he said it was full. Perhaps that is just a ploy to make you want the place more!

Good luck with starting school this year.

Happy 2011! x

Beckypops Thu 13-Jan-11 01:38:14

On the religious thing -

Just wanted to let you know that we interviewed for nursery at Pointers last year and told them straight out that we are not religious, and we were offered a place.

And contrary to popular opinion, All Saints confirmed they hold about 30% of their places for non-churchgoers.

We've visited Pointers, Blackheath Prep, Blackheath Girls, John Ball, All Saints and Colfe's and after going in with the firm pre-conception that Blackheath Prep is the Holy Grail I ended up surprising myself by liking Blackheath Girls and John Ball the best!

Hope this helps!

icancancan Thu 13-Jan-11 14:21:16

Hi Becky - would be interested to hear your reasons why you liked Blackheath Girls and John Ball - I never went to see John Ball but the website was impressive (and its results).

Beckypops Thu 13-Jan-11 18:20:51

Let's see - John Ball - we went there not really expecting to like it that much, despite its brilliant Ofsted results. However I was pleasantly surprised by the very friendly atmosphere, the children we talked to on the tour were very well mannered and well spoken and told us how much they loved their school, and the teachers and headmaster were lovely and approachable. I like the fact there is a mix of kids there from different backgrounds, experience of this I believe is important for children (having raised my three now grown up stepchildren in the rarefied and I think in the end unhealthy environment of overprivileged Palm Beach.) However, I thought the actual school was better overall than the nursery (which is separate to some extent) but I still thought the nursery was very good.

On Blackheath Girls - although it has a great reputation, I had never really seriously considered a single sex education. I added Blackheath Girls into the mix last, just as a way of covering all bases. And I loved it! The atmosphere in the school is just lovely, tons of little girls all running around happily, chattering away to us, very nice building and facilities, the friendliest teachers and headmistress you could ask for. No daunting 10 task test (like Blackheath Prep!) just an informal interview. I really couldn't fault it.

icancancan Thu 13-Jan-11 20:59:50

thanks Beckypops! I am kicking myself that we did'nt go to see John Ball and apply (although I'm certain we are out of catchment) - we may have got in .... never mind, very happy with our choice (private) but would be nice not to have to pay!

Louplet Tue 18-Jan-11 21:40:40

Toothypegs Congratulations! Maybe we will see each other at the school gate someday smile

Beckypops That is very interesting. Thank you. Unfortunately for us we are massively out of catchment for both All Saints and John Ball and were looking for DS1 and later DS2 so Blackheath Girls not an option wink. Really useful feedback though. I liked Blackheath Prep (we were too late to apply for DS1 to be assessed) but was interested to hear later that some parents had actually turned it down in favour of Pointers.

AnonymousCaller Sat 24-Sep-11 12:44:44

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Yennefer Mon 19-Nov-12 18:55:39

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ConfusedMummy1 Tue 20-Nov-12 15:12:00

Very interesting Yennefer, thanks for info on Pointers! Would you recommend anywhere else instead?

Greenwichgal Mon 18-Mar-13 23:25:27

Just wanted to post as a mother of two children at Meridian primary school (y2 and y4). I really recommend this lovely school - the new head has made some significant changes, whilst hanging onto the lovely ethos and friendliness that the last head left behind. It's very musical (some of the parents are academics at Trinity College of Music) and creative, and has a very good reputation for parent-teacher communication. This is not a school where you just drop off at the door, and have no idea what goes on inside! You are very much encouraged to get involved and become part of the school community. My kids are really happy there. Do go and have a look round if you're in catchment.

chuggies Wed 20-Mar-13 22:12:10

Has anybody got any recent experience/thoughts wrt Blackheath High? We have already accepted a nursery place there for September and I would really appreciate any comments from other parents. We loved the feel of the school and the warmth of the staff but were a little underwhelmed by the older girls who showed us around compared to students from other schools we have visited.
Many thanks in advance!

Helspopje Sat 15-Jun-13 11:52:22

We're going to nursey in sept too! I preferred it to bh prep.

purplefairy287 Wed 19-Aug-15 19:08:13

The children at Heath House school seemed very bright and well behaved but a lot of this may be due to genes and the family environment they live in. The school buildings looked very small and cramped, with lessons going on even in the entrance hall when we arrived, due to a lack of room; the school doesn't have significant outside space of its own. The Head owns the school and there is no independent board of governors. She shows families around every day for 2 hour tours in a very "grandiose" manner and did not appear to assess our child at all, just scrutinized us. The Head stopped 1 school pupil after he had politely and appropriately said good morning to her and asked him to repeat good morning Mrs.... in a more subservient way, which seemed unnecessary to us. The school is very small with only 1 class for each school year. I think we will go to a more mainstream school that is not the monopoly of 1 person..
The previous , earlier, independent school inspection reports of Heath House also had concerns re: the management and leadership of this school so worth reading these too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now