In Laws and Favourtism

(3 Posts)
justinegallen Wed 20-Jul-16 22:37:45

I've just collected my 3 children (10, 11 and 12) from my in laws who have very generously had them and their 3 cousins to stay for 3 days and by all accounts showed them a fantastic time however my youngest has come back and recounted at least three incidents where she was deliberately picked on and humiliated by her grandfather. I had to collect my slightly elder daughter early and funnily enough it was a (younger) cousin who actually pointed out to me that granddad was picking on my youngest and not being very kind. An example is that when they were all eating chips and dipping them in tomato ketchup he confiscated her knife and fork saying she didn't need them as she uses her fingers whilst she was only doing the same as the others. I've been aware that there has been favouritism for some time however have tried to rise above it (Bachs "Let it Go" Remedy doing the trick before seeing them) but now I'm not sure what to do. She loves seeing her cousins and her nana is lovely with her but she is aware of it as are her sisters and cousins (she is 10). What do I do.. I could mention to "nana" but she gets very emotional and I'm conscious it could all spin out of control. I don't want to stop her going as her cousins are the sweetest girls and they get on so well but I can't bring it up with him as I know he will deny it (I once heard him speaking - fairly dreadfully - behind my back on the phone before I put it down and even then he denied it)... do I just forget it... ... or will she suffer in the long run...? Any advice please...

ThoraGruntwhistle Wed 20-Jul-16 22:41:57

I assume something more happened than having her cutlery taken away which she wasn't using? If they were all eating chips with their fingers, why would it matter that the cutlery was taken away? I hate grandparents having a favourite child and not bothering with the others, but I'm not sure what he's done to humiliate her?

justinegallen Wed 20-Jul-16 23:01:41

that was one example of a series.. ie she poured water from the jug (which was next to her) and was shouted at as she should have asked someone to pass her the jug when it was right next to her - admittedly all hearsay - but not from her....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now