What helpful chores do your kids do?

(22 Posts)
Steamgirl Sun 26-Jun-16 21:54:19

My DDs (8 & 10) have been in the dog house this last week for various reasons. I have been supervising them doing household chores every day making sure they do them properly. It's been really interesting watching them realise how much I actually do for them, how much washing there is and how long it takes to hang out and learning that the same utensil can need washing up every single day. I'm a working single parent and it's also been amazing having some help around the house. As tempting as it is, I don't intend making them do EVERYTHING for too much longer, but I do want to establish some regular chores. My eldest has already talked to her friends about what jobs they do at home and reported to me that not one of them is asked to do the washing grin (she has also twigged that 90% of the washing is down to her and her sister and noticed that unworn items were being put in the wash basket when they tidied their rooms). So, just wondering, what 'chores' do your kids do and do you give them any 'reward'?

Ginmakesitallok Sun 26-Jun-16 21:58:05

Fuck all.

Steamgirl Sun 26-Jun-16 22:15:17

Oh no Gin, I was hoping everyone would say that they relax and drink wine while their kids do all the work whist singing happy songs ...

Steamgirl Sun 26-Jun-16 22:16:40

... The 'reward' being the satisfaction of a job well done of course ...

Twowrongsdontmakearight Sun 26-Jun-16 22:17:27

DD (13) has just started cleaning the bathroom. DS is supposed to walk the dog after school but has GCSEs.....

Before that they did chuff all!

Mayleez Sun 26-Jun-16 22:39:49

My two (DD8 & DS6) each have a task board - they are expected to do things like make their beds & tidy their room (including putting clean clothes away) each day, then there's a list of extras such as unloading the dishwasher, dusting, cleaning mirrors, putting recycling out etc that they can chose to do.
DD wanted to do washing so I'm teaching her to sort it & how to use the washing machine. They also help strip & re-make their beds (mainly cos I got fed up with evicting & then re-arranging the 300 cuddlies every bloody time!).
They get points for each task, depending on the degree of difficulty, & there's bonus points available for doing stuff that's not on the list or if they've been particularly helpful. The points are converted into screen time minutes but I might change it to pocket money as they get older.
It's a bit hit & miss as they're still quite young, & it depends on what time we get back from school/work & how tired they are etc. but I think it's good that they are starting to learn how much work goes into running a home. It's also teaching DD that if she spends 10 minutes tidying her room each day, she won't have to spend an hour doing it at the weekend (we've had a few battles over this one!).

TheFirie Mon 27-Jun-16 05:26:33

Emptying dishwasher. Always.
Rubbish
Sometimes hoovering
Tidying their rooms
Making their beds
Emptying the groceries bags

For no money.

clearsommespace Mon 27-Jun-16 05:57:46

11 and 13
Emptying dishwasher
Laying table
Clearing their own plates
I introduce a rota for mopping the kitchen floor when they were 10 and 12.

They also hang out washing and clean windows with me so it is over faster and I can do whatever they are waiting for me to do.

8FencingWire Mon 27-Jun-16 06:29:19

Setting and clearing the table, washing up.
Washing whenever she sees the basket is full, but I hang the clothes and fold/iron.
Making/stripping her bed.
Hoovering.
Watering the indoor plants.
Helps budgeting and saving, she's in charge of keeping the grocery budget.

We sort of share, more or less, taking turns, but we're both tidy and can't stand clutter, so we sort of do it without thinking.

Doesn't get paid for chores, she gets pocket money in her account every payday.

MinnowAndTheBear Mon 27-Jun-16 06:34:54

8 how old is your child?

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Mon 27-Jun-16 06:44:02

10 and 12yos.

Empty dishwasher every morning (one rack each and I do the cutlery, DH puts the breakfast stuff in).
Lay and clear table
Strip own beds (still need a bit of help remaking). We chuck all the teddies in a blue Ikea bag (or 2) and then tip them back in afterwards.
Help with washing on request, put own clean clothes away, sometimes do a bit of ironing.
Join in family housework blitz on a Saturday morning 1/2 an hour where they could be doing tidying, cleaning bathroom, emptying bins, hoovering, dusting, mopping.

No link to money although I occasionallybuy them something small or give them a pound for effort over and above the norm.

StrumpersPlunkett Mon 27-Jun-16 06:55:16

Make beds
Open curtains
I stack and restack dishwasher
Clean and tidy their rooms
Set the table
Clear the table
Ds2 likes ironing 10p per item
Hoovering
Oh and they both automatically clean down the shower when they get out. It's just habit.

StrumpersPlunkett Mon 27-Jun-16 06:56:35

Oh yes forgot
They sort the laundry both clean and dirty
And put away their clothes

Schwabischeweihnachtskanne Mon 27-Jun-16 07:02:48

They mostly do self care stuff - putting their own clean washing away is the big one as I hate putting washing away. I still have to help the 5 yo with that but make a point that it is his job and I help him, not do it for him.

I don't make them do the laundry because there is so much and I find it easier not to delegate, but the older 2 know how... actually putting stuff in the machine is never as big a job as putting it all away.

DH is good at making the older 2 do the dish washer and bins but I am a bit lax as I automatically do kitchen chores myself while cooking etc. and extra people in the kitchen get under my feet and I don't find it helpful for that reason. It's legitimate to feel they should do a fair share on principle I guess.

They help with garden work and the eldest cooks a meal every now and then but more when she wants to.

They do have to tidy up and make the place presentable before their own friends come over (and after if they've made a mess). DD is a terror for making her friends do her to dying as she has a couple of very domesticated and orderly friends shock

It's quite ad hoc aside from clearing up after themselves and getting things for themselves - I don't wait on them and don't think it's a good idea to.

Kids are aged between 5 and 11

Schwabischeweihnachtskanne Mon 27-Jun-16 07:04:08

* tidying not dying

Schwabischeweihnachtskanne Mon 27-Jun-16 07:10:01

No rewards attached no, although there are one off things they can do to earn money when they need extra money for something I am not going to just hand over extra for (like even more football stickers than their picket money stretches to...)

I paid DD to sort through the 5 yo ' s clothes at the end of winter put outgrown stuff for the charity collection and bigger stuff away for next year and so on. I also once paidher to sort out the chaotic linen cupboard. .. DS1 cleans the windows because he seems to have a talent for it and does it better than me.

Rainbowqueeen Mon 27-Jun-16 07:15:40

8 10 and 12 here. Rotation system of 1 week on each job. One job is fold and put away washing one is empty dishwasher one is collect mail set table and put bins out
On weekend they load dishwasher clean their rooms and each have to do a job or jobs of my choosing for a set period of time

If we are entertaining they are expected to help clean Hoover etc the common areas

Suzietwo Mon 27-Jun-16 07:19:26

Mine are 2, 4 and 6 so their helpfulness is a bit hit and miss but they're certainly learning. No money or rewards attached save for the deferred reward of, for example to or pudding. Something that was going to happen anyway.

They can empty dishwasher and load with own things after a meal. Set and clear table. Wipe table and sweep floor after meal. Sweep kitchen floor and front steps. Help doing certain garden jobs like clearing leaves. Clean windows, Hoover fire, lay fire, tidy own rooms and play room etc

It's all fairly standard stuff coz I'm a lazy cow. Need to work on their washing skills

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 27-Jun-16 07:33:34

Ds is 15 - empties dishwasher,lays and clears the table, keeps his room reasonably tidy ( has to be reminded as he likes it like a pig sty!) feeds the cat, cooks simple meals, puts the bins out, helps his dad in the garden.

He's always been expected to help out at home first job was at 18 months and putting clothes in the laundry basket.

Steamgirl Mon 27-Jun-16 21:12:39

Loving these thank you. wine Makes me realise how I've been doing too much and expecting too little. drawing up a rota ... Which will include regular tasks plus bonus tasks they can do to earn back the privileges they have lost due to their bad behaviour.

hillyhilly Mon 27-Jun-16 21:17:32

8&11, they get their own breakfast, lay and clear the table for every meal, put the recycling out, feed the cat occasionally but quite honestly I think that's about it apart from keeping their own rooms tidy.
I'm a SAHM which I think doesn't help, I have the time and it's my job to do laundry etc

Kim82 Mon 27-Jun-16 21:25:03

Ds(15) washes the dishes after tea, emptied the bins when they're full and puts the recycling bins out the front to be collected.

Dd(12) dries and puts away the dishes after tea and entertains the toddler for the odd 10-15 mins if I'm busy (strictly speaking that's not a chore and she jumps at the chance).

Dd(9) feeds the cats twice a day.

Dd(2) helps to put her toys away and likes to help the 9 year old feed the cats.

They all put their dirty washing in the washing basket and the elder 3 keep their rooms tidy. I do sometimes get them to run the Hoover round, dust or something similar but as I don't work atm then I usually do those jobs myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now